What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates

Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
4 votes - 4.25 average   Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates
Hello everyone,

as some of you already know, an Messenger Plus! update was recently released due to compatibility problems with MSN Messenger 6.2. About a fourth of my users generally use the auto-update within the first week of an update, which is transformed in about 1,000,000 installs in only 7 days (added to the usual 80,000 daily installs)... that's a lot of people.

If you're a long time member of the Messenger community, you already know that some people regularly complain about the optional sponsor embedded in Messenger Plus!. In general, a couple of replies pointing to Add/Remove Programs solves the situation but when the volume of daily installs increases by 1500% (because of an auto-update), sponsor complains are getting more visible and, each time, some people start to wonder if there's some truth behind these allegations.

I'm writing this message to make you realise that the complains are always the same, they are just more concentrated on some occasions. Any long time user will tell you the same thing: the sponsor is NOT installed as long as you don't click "I Accept" and "Install" in the installer. More than that, the agreement window is ALWAYS displayed, whereas you launch the installer yourself or Messenger Plus! launches it as part of the auto-update procedure. If you don't trust my word, trust the facts: the Messenger Plus! forum would be dead and buried 10 feet under the ground if a million of people simultaneously got an unwanted adware program installed on their computer after upgrading their little Messenger add-on.

That being said, I'd like to talk about another topic, a new one, introduced by MSN Messenger 6.2. The latest update of Messenger Plus! was released the same day MSN Messenger 6.2 was released. You may want to notice that the installer of MSN Messenger 6.2 now proposes to install the MSN toolbar as well as the MSN search engine. Both of these options are actually enabled by default... these features are actually very similar to what my sponsor installs with the exception that in my installer, nothing is enabled by default. If so many people do install my sponsor by mistake, what do you think about the 150 million MSN Messenger users who will be prompted to upgrade the same way, with the options ticked on by default?

Don't get me wrong, Microsoft has all the right in the world to include this kind of option in its Messenger client; after all, this is one of the best (and harmless) way to generate some money on the internet nowadays (Yahoo, Google and a lot of other companies already realised that a long time ago). I just hope that people will not mistake my sponsor's toolbar with Microsoft's one. As both new versions are available at the same time, it is easy for less experienced people not to make the distinction. Just rest assured that the option to install the sponsor in Messenger Plus! is not checked by default, in any circumstance. Some people will always complain after installing Messenger Plus! because they clicked "I Accept" too fast in the agreement window; some of them will even insist on the fact that no option was offered to them during installation. These people are actually just too proud to admit that they missed the option because they click on every button too quickly. Once again, I understand that such mistake can happen and that's exactly why the Messenger Plus! uninstaller is designed to remove every single byte of the sponsor's program (please, stop trusting Adaware or similar programs blindly, they only makes things worse in a lot of situations).

I invite all of you who have some doubts to give Messenger Plus! a try, you'll quickly realise that it doesn't install any virus, trojan, or other kind unwanted software. Making my users happy is all I ever wanted, I'm not about to destroy more than 3 years of trust by trying to make a quick buck... that would be pretty dumb don't you think? :)

Thank you for reading,
Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-27-2004 03:07 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MSN

Msg Plus Fan & User

RE: Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates
Nice one Patchou (Y). Some people always do the same mistake by clicking everything in a hurry and not reading properly....

Not to worry...... Patchou!!! There is always some fans like me... who love MSG Plus!!!!

:D
[Image: tmficon620.jpg ]

[Image: mininana.gif]MsgPlus!3 is out Download it
04-27-2004 03:57 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Great post, Patchou. :)

I didn't know about a new toolbar with Messenger 6.2... :o That could very well be what people are complaining about...
04-27-2004 04:28 AM
chungster

boo

32 / Male / Flag
heh i used to be one of those people that clicked really fast but after seeing the mess.be warning of clicking refuse i didnt click it on messenger plus and now i read installers
[Image: Whatyoulookinat.jpg]
04-27-2004 04:35 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sk3tch
Veteran Member

We are Samurai, the keyboard cowboys

38 / Male / –
Well said Patchou :)

I couldn't have put it better. It is a shame that these days a lot of people don’t take the time to read agreements and rush though everything just to get it over and installed. Its as-if everyone is in a hurry these days lol. Not that I haven’t in the past run installers without reading them.
It goes to show that if you did make that mistake by either not reading or just ignoring it then no one else is to blame but yourself :P
But you have made a good point talking about the MSN Messenger Toolbar and its default settings. It made the situation very clear as both are similar (Y)
Sk3tch@Microsoft.com - Email
- 53 6B 33 74 63 68 34 64@hotmail.com - Messenger
04-27-2004 04:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Grin  RE: Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates
Well said Patchou.  You have provided your wonderful software for FREE to over 4 Million Users and have every right in the world to include a sponsor, after all, you deserve it.  But instead you include an OPTIONAL sponsor, which you allow users to decide if they want to support you or not.  Although no doubt MSN Messenger 6.2 will cause some confusion between your softwares sponsor and MSN's toolbar, your users will stand by you.

We, the Messenger Plus! Community, have put 3 years of trust into you and we are not going to throw it away because you decided to include an OPTIONAL sponsor, so I think I can speak on behalf of almost all of the members of this forum when I say, We trust you Patchou.

Thanks for taking the time to write your post regarding the update, it will hopefully save a couple hundred posts about the MSN Toolbar and your sponsor.

This post was edited on 04-27-2004 at 05:03 AM by Dane.
04-27-2004 04:59 AM
kao
Veteran Member

boring

37 / Male / Flag
well said, and i agree about the MSN Messenger 6.2 installer, well said :)
04-27-2004 07:03 AM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
1,000,000 installs in only 7 days
wooow!! that's 1.65 installs per second (without the 80000 usual installs/day) :O think about it:
Click install, 0.6 seconds after, click install, 0.6 seconds after, click install, ... :P

Well, about the sponsor, thanks for make we notice msn msg 6.2 installs (by dafault) a search bar too... that'll help us we people complain :P

quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
We, the Messenger Plus! Community, have put 3 years of trust into you and we are not going to throw it away because you decided to include an OPTIONAL sponsor, so I think I can speak on behalf of almost all of the members of this forum when I say, We trust you Patchou.
(Y)
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
04-27-2004 09:35 AM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
Weel said Patchou!

Some people are :zzz: when they install the best add-on for MSN/Windows Messenger in the world

This post was edited on 04-27-2004 at 11:21 AM by x2zen.
04-27-2004 11:21 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

Well Said, ummm how much does patch get from this sponsor program, seminefrial if you ask me ;)
04-27-2004 12:13 PM
Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: