What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
I can understand your frustration but even if the program's name looks strange, do you actually think that Messenger Plus! installs somethign that format your hard disk when the computer starts? :). Wipe Drive could simply be the name of a software that ensures all the temporary files generated by the ads are properly removed everytime you start your computer, which would be a very good thing. You don't always have to assume the worse you know.

The sponsor program is only designed to generate money, through advertisement. It is absolutely not interested in deleting any of your files :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-19-2004 07:23 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
wonkotsane

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
Patchou, I'm an amateur developer myself and I respect your right to generate revenue for yourself.

WIPEDRIVE is a highly suspicious name for something that doesn't do anything nasty to your hard drive.  You probably wouldn't install anything that would format a users hard drive but did you even notice the WIPEDRIVE file?  You don't even know what it does so how do you know whether it's harmless or not?  I bet you don't even use the search thing yourself because it slows your connection down, pops up ads all the time and it takes between 10 and 20 seconds to navigate between pages when it's running.  I've had a previous version of this scumware which installs itself silently using exploits and uses similar methods to avoid deletion.  Any "helper" application that restores itself when you delete it is scumware by my definition and pretty much everyone elses I should imagine.  There are 2 classes of software that have a legitimate reason to do this and that is security/antivirus software and system software.  This search thing is neither and you know as well as I do that it is a parasite.  You are condoning software that has the ability to illegally install itself on computers using browser exploits and security loopholes.  This, to me, doesn't send out a very good message about how trustworthy your product is.  Message Plus is a fantastic piece of software and I love it bits but all this is overshadowed by the scumware that you are promoting.
06-19-2004 07:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by wonkotsane
I'll take this as the official response
It wasn't an official response. :p

I've never heard of the program "wipedrive.exe" before today, and I think I would have if it had anything to do with MsgPlus!. People post about the sponsor quite often. Are you sure you (or another user of your PC) didn't install a piece of software called WipeDrive since the last time you checked your startup list? Also, are you sure that you read the name correctly? It might be something that looks similar.

And one more thing: if this is a real startup entry, there's probably an associated command and path. Where is the file located?

quote:
I've had a previous version of this scumware which installs itself silently using exploits and uses similar methods to avoid deletion.
The sponsor program bundled with Plus is custom-built to be less dodgy than other versions. I don't think it's fair to judge Plus based on your previous experience with other programs. :dodgy:

This post was edited on 06-19-2004 at 07:50 AM by WDZ.
06-19-2004 07:48 AM
wonkotsane

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
The file is installed in c:\program files\poke for cool and is installed by this scumware.  It was installed by this scumware when it illegal forced itself onto my computer last time.

quote:
The sponsor program bundled with Plus is custom-built to be less dodgy than other versions. I don't think it's fair to judge Plus based on your previous experience with other programs.

Ok, the fact that you're saying it's less dodgy sort of implies that you agree it's dodgy.  You probably didn't intend it to sound like that but I'm sure I'm not the only one who agrees that this scumware is neither useful nor legitimate.  Certainly, from the few people I've spoken to about this since last night (most of which use Messenger Plus), the consensus is that this is not a welcome addition.  I've pm'd Patchou today offering to help find an alternative because when word spreads about this I can see a lot of people turning their backs on Messenger Plus - certainly, in my circle anyway. :S
06-19-2004 08:22 AM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
when it illegal forced itself onto my computer last time.
When did it do that? It didn't illegally install itself with Plus! - you gave permission for it.
quote:
I'm not the only one who agrees that this scumware is neither useful nor legitimate.
Apparently, some people find it useful, according to Patchou. About being legitimate: if it wasn't legitimate, action by lawyers and stuff would already have been taken.

quote:
the consensus is that this is not a welcome addition
If you have a better idea on how to make money, suggestions are welcome :)
quote:
I've pm'd Patchou today offering to help find an alternative
(Y)
quote:
because when word spreads about this I can see a lot of people turning their backs on Messenger Plus
There are indeed many people who now consider it spyware and don't install it. Too bad.
06-19-2004 08:32 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
There are indeed many people who now consider it spyware and don't install it.
I don't understand why...I mean it's optional and that's obvious to any one who takes notice of installations.

Although for this minority I would like a small bit of text on the installation in red that says "Please take note this is not the usual yada yada" like the Google toolbar for IE...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
06-19-2004 09:12 AM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
that's obvious to any one who takes notice of installations
Unfortunately, that is a very, very small group nowadays...
06-19-2004 09:23 AM
pharees

RE: RE: Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
quote:
when word spreads about this I can see a lot of people turning their backs on Messenger Plus - certainly, in my circle anyway. :S

when word spreads about what? the fact that you cant understand the words "I ACCEPT install the sponsor program"

you cant complain about 'scumware' that YOU AGREED to install, its your own fault an no one elses. Don't try and put off other people from installing a great program like Plus just because you were too stupid to read what you were signing up for
06-19-2004 09:42 AM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by pharees
when word spreads about what? the fact that you cant understand the words "I ACCEPT install the sponsor program"

you cant complain about 'scumware' that YOU AGREED to install, its your own fault an no one elses. Don't try and put off other people from installing a great program like Plus just because you were too stupid to read what you were signing up for
That realy doesn't help... He has problems with the content of the sponsor, he's not arguing the fact that the sponsor is/isn't optional....

But you can't blame Patchou for that. Take it up with sponsor.

quote:
WIPEDRIVE is a highly suspicious name for something that doesn't do anything nasty to your hard drive.  You probably wouldn't install anything that would format a users hard drive but did you even notice the WIPEDRIVE file?  You don't even know what it does so how do you know whether it's harmless or not?

NOBODY has ever comlained that they istalled the sponsor and then their hard drive has been wiped :-/

quote:
I bet you don't even use the search thing yourself because it slows your connection down, pops up ads all the time and it takes between 10 and 20 seconds to navigate between pages when it's running.

As if that makes a diffrence. The fact that you are given a CHOICE should dispute this.

At the end of the day, if you dont like it, dont install it. In theroy what your doing is installing a program, not liking it at all, and rather then un-installing it and not using it, keeping it on and having a go at the wrong people :S
06-19-2004 11:50 AM
nyboe

I can assure you and every other person here, I was NOT asked any more questions beyond would you like to update msgplus!.

It installed it self, and added crap all over my PC.  You can tell me as much as you want that it's not possible, but it obviously is.  The other interesting part is I'm by far not the only person claiming this on the boards and all the staff here says is "It's not possible".

So, I'm going to take the same stance several other mods on other large boards are doing. I'm letting all my members know about this bug, and to watch out for msgplus.  I hope at some point you'll change your practices, but it's far more likely we'll just have to use a competing piece of software.

I should have seen the writing on the wall once you announced "optional" spyway.
06-19-2004 01:28 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: