What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup

Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup
Author: Message:
greeze

O.P. Huh?  Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup
Here's what's up.

I've got Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel installed.  This super-useful app pops up a dialog anytime another app tries to register itself to launch at Windows startup.  This is very useful for stopping trojans and spy-ware before they install themselves.

Well, with Plus! installed, MSN Messenger tries to register itself to run at startup every time I turn on the computer.  So every time I get into Windows, I get a warning dialog.  Is there some reason that Plus! is causing Messenger to behave like this?  And is there some way I can stop it?

TIA.
06-24-2004 02:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup
quote:
Originally posted by greeze
Is there some reason that Plus! is causing Messenger to behave like this?  And is there some way I can stop it?
This behaviour is normal. Plus! adds that entry to ensure it is loaded before Messenger is loaded. Preventing this might be possible, but then Plus! might not be loaded properly.
06-24-2004 09:34 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
greeze

O.P. RE: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup
But it's not Plus! that's doing it.  Messenger is adding that entry to the HKCU/Run key every time the computer starts up.  But Messenger only does this if Plus! is installed:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=268019]

Does Plus! remove Messenger from the HKCU/Run key, thus forcing Messenger to register itself again?

Again, any and all help is appreciated.

.png File Attachment: startupWarning.png (14.66 KB)
This file has been downloaded 437 time(s).

This post was edited on 06-24-2004 at 11:04 PM by greeze.
06-24-2004 11:02 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
But it's not Plus! that's doing it.  Messenger is adding that entry to the HKCU/Run key every time the computer starts up.  But Messenger only does this if Plus! is installed:
that's correct. I'll explain that a bit better: Plus has an exe: msgplus.exe that has to be run when windows starts so when you start messenger you ca access the plus' features. In that moment, msgplus.exe loads a DLL into messenger and is that DLL the one that does all the plus stuff, included the thing you're seeing: that dll registers plus (msgplus.exe) to be loaded when windows starts, but bacause of that dll is loaded in messenger, the effect is that messenger is doing that action.
quote:
Does Plus! remove Messenger from the HKCU/Run key, thus forcing Messenger to register itself again?
No. Plus doesn't change the configuration of messenger.

This post was edited on 06-25-2004 at 12:15 AM by Patchou.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
06-24-2004 11:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Messenger always adds this key back and Messenger Plus! always removes it to make sure it is loaded before Messenger when Windows starts. That's absolutely normal. I suggest you to stop using this kind of alert program, editing the registry is something completely legitimate :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-25-2004 12:16 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
greeze

O.P. RE: RE: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup
Okay.  Thanks for the info, Patchou.

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I suggest you to stop using this kind of alert program, editing the registry is something completely legitimate :).

I edit the registry all the time.  I know it's perfectly legitimate.  But I think you should have a look at the program before you dismiss it offhand.  Software frequently registers itself to run at startup whether you want it to or not.  StatupMonitor lets you know when a program is trying to do that.  It's a very simple, elegant, and useful piece of software (much like Plus! :) ), which is why I will never stop using it, and will encourage others to use it as well.
06-27-2004 10:17 PM
greeze

O.P. RE: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup
I figured out a way around the problem.  I'm kinda silly for not realizing it before.  I turned off "Run Messenger at Windows startup" in Messenger's settings, and put a shortcut to the exe in the startup folder.

(Just in case anyone else ever has this problem, there's your solution.)
06-28-2004 11:56 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: