What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Would you use this plugin?

Poll: Would you use this plugin?
Yes
No
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Would you use this plugin?
Author: Message:
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Would you use this plugin?
I am in the process of developing a plugin but for certain reasons beyond my control it has been placed on hold.

The plugin will allow you to Locally shutdown your computer by the use of /xsd

Now here is the other part of the plugin. A Password Protected Remote Computer shutdown.

What this means is if you enter the password for your contact you can remotly shutdown their computer. Now for moral reasons I have to decide how I would want to do this. If a Contact shuts down your computer does it disable this feature before your computer shuts off or what because if a contact knows your password they could keep shutting down your computer.

If i finish developing the plugin there will be a few commands to control the plugin.

/xsddisable - disable remote shutdown
/xsddenable - enable remote shutdown
/xsdpass <password> - change password
/xsdconfig - open preferences.

Now the remote shutdown feature was proposed to me in this way. Your at work and you forgot to turn off your computer if there is a remote shutdown then you can shut off your computer.

So the Poll would you use it... Yes or No?

Post your thoughts on this as well feel free I would love everyones Input.

Also please dont steal the idea and code one yourself come up with your own ideas for original plugins. Thanks Matty
06-25-2004 01:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
humanreflect

39 / Male / –
RE: Would you use this plugin?
I would love that, sometime si need friends to turn me off my pc when im out and i forget to turn it off
06-25-2004 02:25 AM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Yes, I would definatly use this feature.  Except i'd use it at school, not work :P.
06-25-2004 04:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Matty,

I had the same idea to make such a plugin for a long time (well, since the request was made on this forum) and I still are going to make one. This isn't stealing ideas tbh as the request for this plugin was made publicly...

But I lack the time to create any plugin and this one wouldn't be on the top of my list though. I had a big thought about it before and since you're creating the plugin (first?), I'll share my thoughts:

You can easly fix the possible security issue (anti-war) with the following idea:

When someone send your PC the shutdown command (with the right optional password of course), a dialog will always pop up on the local computer to ask if you want to cancel it or not. After X seconds the dialog will dissapear automaticly and the PC will be shut down.

So, the dialog would work in the same way as the start-up menu in Windows or the personalised away dialog in MsgPlus.

In other words: if you forget to turn off the PC, you can remotely invoke the procedure. The dialog will be presented at your PC, but since there is nobody to cancel it, your pc will be shutdown. If the shutdown is invoked by some person who knows the password, you can cancel away the dialog and remove that person from the acceptlist.

Options on the dialog could be:
text: "Your PC will be shut down in X seconds."
option: [o] remove the contact  from the allow list.
button: configure
button (default): cancel shutdown

The option "ignore contact" is only enabled when you've selected "for contacts I select" in the configuration dialog and that contact is on the acceptlist.

The configure dialog would hold two lists: your contactlist and a list for people who can shutdown your pc. So, it's similar to the auto-accept list from msgplus. Also the (individual) password and the dialog time-interval can be set in the configure dialog.

The dialog time-interval has a default value of 10 seconds and has an minimum of 5 secs. This minimum value can't be set to anything lower for security reasons; you must always have some time to confirm the dialog.

The password can be set for each contact or globaly, just like the Msgplus notification sounds for signin/out. In other words, if you select "all contacts" you can set the password globaly, if you select "contacts I select" you can set a password for each individual by clicking on the contact in the allowlist.

The configuration dialog could be:

[o] enable remote shutdown

[o] Automaticly accept remote shutdowns from all my contact.
    [o] Automaticly accept remote shutdowns from contacts I select.

contactlist:                   acceptlist:
    +-----------+              +----------+
    |contact 1   |  add       | contact 2  |
    |contact 2   |  remove  | contact 4  |
    |contact 3   |              |                |
    |contact 4   |              |                |
    +-----------+              +----------+
                                       Password: [ _____ ]

Cancel dialog time-interval: [ __ ]

I had many thoughts of how to implementing an ignorelist, acceptlist and individual/global passwords in 1 go and still be user-frienly. If you all want to do this then it isn't as easy at it seems. I've written some layouts and working-diagrams on some papers here, but I can't find them atm... But the acceptlist shown above in this post is a nice, short and easy alternative though.

This post was edited on 06-25-2004 at 07:08 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-25-2004 07:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Phrive

...!Phrive!...

35 / Male / –
its a cool idea yeah
[Image: 1thing5hk.gif]

06-26-2004 11:45 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
Hasn't anyone of you ever heard of RealVNC :)?
www.realvnc.com
I use it all the time at school, allows me to do anything from school,
including shutting down my pc (although i rarely do that)

the program that matty is going to make is just for shutdown, the program that u suggested is for doing loads of stuff. a lot of people would use matty's program just for shutting down but this one would be for people who want to do all this other stuff. :)
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
06-26-2004 03:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: