What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Force Plus to load

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Force Plus to load
Author: Message:
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Force Plus to load
What does the "Force Messenger Plus! to load when computer starts" option really do? (Besides setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Patchou\MsgPlus2\ForceLoad = 1).
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
08-07-2004 08:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Force Plus to load
Sometimes plus! won't load before MSN, don't ask me why :P. And this makes sure, it always loads before MSN.

That's all I know :d
[Image: 1-0.png]

08-07-2004 09:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Force Plus to load
What I mean is how does that work, how does it ensure Plus will load before Messenger?
08-07-2004 09:14 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
That's something I don't know :d
[Image: 1-0.png]

08-07-2004 09:15 PM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Force Plus to load
Well, I asked this because I want to add a checkbox to my AppLoader program so you can easily enable/disable MsgPlus autorun at Windows startup (and open it whenever you want from AppLoader), and I didn't want to break anything. I guess just removing MsgPlus' key from the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) will work (it seems to be set by the installer).
08-07-2004 09:21 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
As you know, when you select "Automaticly run Messenger when I log on to Windows" in MSN Messenger, MSN Messenger adds a key to the registry:
=> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
=> msnmsgr := "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
This will make that MSN Messenger starts up when you start up Windows...
(note: this key is added each time Messenger starts up.*)

Also, when you've selected that "autorun"-option from Messenger, Messenger Plus! will delete the "msnmsgr"-key again and add its own key there when Messenger is closed:
=> MessengerPlus3 := "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe" /WinStart
(note: this key is added/replaced each time the process of Messenger ends (and Plus! is still running of course).*)

/WinStart makes that Messenger Plus! initialize first (like always) and then that it automaticly starts up MSN Messenger itself and hooks it.

If you don't use /WinStart, then Plus! wont start Messenger automaticly. But due the way that Windows handles the startup items, there is no way in making sure that Plus! is started before Messenger in that case.
In many situations this isn't realy a problem because most startup processes don't take long and Plus! will have enough time to hook into Messenger, even when it is started up after Messenger. But this is only true if there is a fraction of time between the two processes starting up, otherwise Plus! will give a "timeout" in the form of the recovery window.

Now, to make sure that Plus! tries to hook Messenger longer and more agressively (with more tries then normal), you can select the option "Force Plus! to load when computer starts" in Messenger Plus!.

This will set that registry key: ForceLoad := 1. Whenever Plus! is started up, it reads out that key and when it is true, it performs the "more agressive" method for hooking...

* because of this beheviour, you'll get a popup with a tool like StartupMonitor each time that Messenger starts (like every time you log into Windows) because it can find its key in to run-section (because plus! replaced it) and adds it again. And you'll get also a popup each time that Messenger quits because then Plus! removes the entry again... (given this, there is a workaround to this problem: just unselect the "autostartup"-option in Messenger and leave the Plus! entry (with /WinStart) in the run-section...)

EDIT: I hope, I've edited out the mistakes now

This post was edited on 08-11-2004 at 02:40 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-09-2004 03:17 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Hum... you should edit your pot Cookie because you're not exactly right.

What you're describing with /Winstart is true, however, this behavuiour always occurs by default and has nothign to do with the recovery window. The /winstart method ensures Plus! is always loaded before Messenger when Windows starts (Plus! loads Messenger itself when it detects everything has been prepared).

The force option is here only in case of software malfunction. Some programs that are using hooks are not written properly and prevent other similar programs (like Plus!) to work properly. This happens if such program is loaded after Plus! is loaded and as Plus! tries its best to load as fast as possible, if you have such a defective program installed on your computer, you can be almost sure you'll get the problem.

The "force load" option tried to fix this problem by doing somethign very uncommon: it starts a timer and recreates its global hook every 5 seconds for a minute or so. That way, if another software hooks the syste unproperly while windows is starting, Plus! rehooks over it and the problem is solved. However, some systems may not like Plus! doing this kind of stuff and that'S why the force load option should be used only when it's necessary, it's not a toy to play with.

Hope it helps you,
Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
08-09-2004 05:04 PM
cooldude_i06

I'm so cool I worry myself.

– / Male / –
Plus loads on my computer even when i have Diagnostic Startup selected.  Plus is the only program to start.
[Image: clb2.jpg]
08-09-2004 06:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Hum... you should edit your pot Cookie because you're not exactly right.
I would like to, but realy don't know what or where as I realy can't see something wrong (asked on irc also, not much result)... please help (by editing it yourself maybe?)...

This post was edited on 08-10-2004 at 03:16 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-10-2004 03:04 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
What's wrong is that the Messenger key is always deleted and replaced wy a /WinStart Plus! one. It has nothing to do with the force load option :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
08-10-2004 07:05 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: