What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Dangerous quick-text exploit

Dangerous quick-text exploit
Author: Message:
netdroid9

O.P. Shocked  Dangerous quick-text exploit
If one were to have 1000 lines of code that all executed another text, which executed a different 1000 times, that sent 4999 (this is by code I wrote, but I didn't realise it's potential untill after my msn froze from attempting to send it. one more charactor and it'ed hit 5000 (I'm using a parameter as an emoticon).)
emoticons, to a test server, it could hamper the network a small amount. do this on three to four pc's pointing at different servers, it would cause a lapse in the server it routes through. Do this with a few hundred towards different countries one at a time and it would a huge lapse in the msn network.

8-| Man I'm a nerd. Remove the ability to execute a quicktext from a quicktext to fix this.
11-16-2004 10:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

RE: Dangerous quick-text exploit
I think that .BAT files are dangerous and yet they still are there.

Same with this. it's a kind of "code", so of course it can crash you. It's your quicktext, not anyone elses, remember ^o) ?

This post was edited on 11-16-2004 at 04:48 PM by Millenium_edition.
11-16-2004 04:47 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Dangerous quick-text exploit
Note that you can't ask a quick text to send 1000 lines of text, if I put limits on some thigns in Messenger Plus!, it's for that exact reason. As far as I can see, you cannotdo anythign but flood yourself and if that's the case, then it's not an exploit at all :). If found a way to flood someone to the point it completely freezes his Messenger or crashes it, using anythign in Messenger Plus!, please email me at mplus@patchou.com with the instructions to reproduce the problem. However, I feel pretty safe to say to everyone else reading this thread that the risk that this kind of thing could exist is very close to 0.
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-16-2004 10:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
netdroid9

O.P. RE: Dangerous quick-text exploit
Oh... Um... I forgot about the hashs... :$
Close this thread please.

This post was edited on 11-16-2004 at 11:40 PM by netdroid9.
11-16-2004 11:39 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: