What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » -~ tested - wouter's openconvo notifier in msn 7.. with msn 7 contacts ~-

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
-~ tested - wouter's openconvo notifier in msn 7.. with msn 7 contacts ~-
Author: Message:
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
O.P. Dodgy  -~ tested - wouter's openconvo notifier in msn 7.. with msn 7 contacts ~-
first of all.. - i feel like i'm an advertisement :( of this plugin... i keep on mentioning it.

second of all.. - i was as shocked with the results of this as you could/should be.

but anyway here u go... i got msn 7 beta, and installed the openconvo notifier, just to see if it would work and how... i in a very geeky way... tested it out with friends who have msn 7 and 6.2... these are the results: 8-|

with the contacts that have msn 6.2, the notifier worked as well as usual... theres no "false" notifications at all...

with contacts who have the beta 7 version of msn messenger, the strange and unexpected news is that this plugin worked pretty well too :)... there were NO false notifications at all... (even when they changed their DP, or opened my contact card) maybe because i did not try out the plugin for a longer period of time (just like 6 hours 8-| ... yes i must have no life :$)... or maybe for some other reason, i did not get false notifications. i dunno.. i'm just stating what happened.

the only problem that i found with it was this... - with contacts who have msn 7 beta, it DID NOT notifiy sometimes when the contact opened my convo window... :S ... but notified everytime they closed it.. (which kinda can give u a hint at who opened it in the first place)

... when i used the openconvo notifier with my msn 6.2 - with contacts who have msn 7 ... i did get some false notifications of them opening a window with me.

.. when i used it with people who use 6.2 - .. it notified normally as usual. blah blah blah....

~~~ anyway... these are just the results i got ... please post what u know or what u experienced with THIS plugin and msn 7..... i wanna know how reliable THIS plugin is with msn 7... cuz i was SHOCKED that it was pretty much accurate with contacts who have msn 7... ~~~ 

-------- .. umm... i'm not too literate when it comes to msn 7... i read the threads and stuff about why openconvo does not/ (in my case should not) work with msn 7 but if somebody can explain it to me in ... simpler words... ... or maybe i missed something... it would be greatly appreaciated... :$ -------
:bow: gif :bow: <3   

spam.

02-14-2005 02:51 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Cromp

The Sh*t has really hit the fan

RE: -~ tested - wouter's openconvo notifier in msn 7.. with msn 7 contacts ~-
so basically the plugin will be useless when the final msn 7 is released, and everyone upgrades.
02-14-2005 03:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
The thing is that when you have MSN Messenger 7, when a contact signs in, do you notice the pop-up with the Display Picture? This is done by opening an invisible conversation with them.

So, when you sign in, and your friends use MSNM7, their program opens this conversation with you, to get your Display Picture.

It does not take the Display Picture at any other time. It won't trigger the openConvo at any other event (change nick, change DP, etc.). Only at sign-in (when they have MSNM7), and open/close window.

So this will happen even if you are using MSNM6.

Hope that helps. (Y)

quote:
Originally posted by Cromp
so basically the plugin will be useless when the final msn 7 is released, and everyone upgrades.
Not exactly. It still does what it's supposed to do. (Y) It also (as CookieRevised explained in another post) tells you in an indirect way who is using MSNM7 (because it'll open this hidden convo).

This post was edited on 02-14-2005 at 03:03 AM by L. Coyote.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

02-14-2005 03:01 AM
Cromp

The Sh*t has really hit the fan

msn randomly connects to your online contacts at any time. This got explaing in another thread, lurking somewhere on this forum, thats why it got rendered 'useless'
02-14-2005 03:03 AM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
CookieRevised replied to her other thread about openConvo, now that I searched for it.

CookieRevised's post.

Edit: on a side note, all I've said above was just what I remembered from that post.

This post was edited on 02-14-2005 at 03:09 AM by L. Coyote.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

02-14-2005 03:06 AM
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: -~ tested - wouter's openconvo notifier in msn 7.. with msn 7 contacts ~-
quote:
Originally posted by Leo
Hope that helps.

yep this really helps :), FINALLY i understand :)

spam.

02-14-2005 03:07 AM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
Oki, let's try to explain in simple words :)
When you talk to someone on MSN, a connection is made to his or her computer.
However, before you start talking that connection is just invisible to the other user, and when you do start talking, the window get's opened on the other side.
Open-Convo notifiers notify you when such a connection is made, so that you can see who is about to talk to you.

What makes it so difficult is the fact that when a contact's MSN needs your DP or custom emoticon or anything in like that, it uses the same connection.
Well, that's where MSN7 comes in, when MSN7 logs in, it will retrieve the dp, if someone changes their dp, msn7 will get it, and it can get the DP in much more occasions, like when you open the contact card.
To get these pictures, a connection will be made whenever there are none available with that contact, and the conversation is completely identical to a normal conversation, except for that fact that instead of text, data is sent.
Now some are claiming that you can see the difference from the first message received, but obviously this is not true: if the first message is data, you don't have to inform anyone, and if the first message is a text message, there is no use to notify anyone, since MSN will already make the message visible...
Furthermore, connections that where originally made for data, can also be used for text :/

In combination with the fact that I was unable to clone the popups in Messenger 7, I decided that this was too unreliable, and took it out of StuffPlug-NG 2...
[Image: theblasp.png]
02-14-2005 06:29 AM
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: -~ tested - wouter's openconvo notifier in msn 7.. with msn 7 contacts ~-
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
In combination with the fact that I was unable to clone the popups in Messenger 7, I decided that this was too unreliable, and took it out of StuffPlug-NG 2...

thanks TB :) for the explanation

... and i luv the plugin u made! ... i can't wait for the CE/DP Stealer... but even without it, its still great ;)

spam.

02-14-2005 02:42 PM
saintgtril

RE: RE: -~ tested - wouter's openconvo notifier in msn 7.. with msn 7 contacts ~-
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
Oki, let's try to explain in simple words :)
When you talk to someone on MSN, a connection is made to his or her computer.
However, before you start talking that connection is just invisible to the other user, and when you do start talking, the window get's opened on the other side.
Open-Convo notifiers notify you when such a connection is made, so that you can see who is about to talk to you.

What makes it so difficult is the fact that when a contact's MSN needs your DP or custom emoticon or anything in like that, it uses the same connection.
Well, that's where MSN7 comes in, when MSN7 logs in, it will retrieve the dp, if someone changes their dp, msn7 will get it, and it can get the DP in much more occasions, like when you open the contact card.
To get these pictures, a connection will be made whenever there are none available with that contact, and the conversation is completely identical to a normal conversation, except for that fact that instead of text, data is sent.
Now some are claiming that you can see the difference from the first message received, but obviously this is not true: if the first message is data, you don't have to inform anyone, and if the first message is a text message, there is no use to notify anyone, since MSN will already make the message visible...
Furthermore, connections that where originally made for data, can also be used for text :/

from what i understand here, the openconvo notifier works better if you are using msn 6.2, in regardless of whether your contacts are using msn 6.2 or 7. Am i correct in making this statement? :)
03-27-2005 03:14 AM
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saintgtril
from what i understand here, the openconvo notifier works better if you are using msn 6.2, in regardless of whether your contacts are using msn 6.2 or 7. Am i correct in making this statement?

nope :( sorry, lol

here is a link to an explanation by CookieRevised ;)

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=28...d=389597#pid389597

spam.

03-27-2005 03:35 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: