What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] Colored groups

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[Suggestion] Colored groups
Author: Message:
mplante

O.P. [Suggestion] Colored groups
I have a suggestion for Messenger Plus! and I think a lot of people would find it useful (or I hope they do). I currently sort my contacts by offline/online status, because sorting by groups adds about 5 or 6 extra lines to my contact list, and I hate that. I wish I could attach colors to different groups. For example, the "co-workers" group could be represented by the color green, and "friends" could be red. Then, even when I sort my contacts by online/offline status, I could still know which group they are from... Of course this would be overridden by a contact's personal color (for example, if I wanted "Jack" to always be purple, that would override the group color). So, what do you think?

This post was edited on 02-26-2005 at 08:01 PM by mplante.
02-26-2005 07:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
RE: [Suggestion] Colored groups
You can use pluses custom names to add a colour to the contacts name.
For example setting the custom name as:
code:
4Friends - (!N)
Would show the contacts name in red and with freinds prefixed to it.

You can get the sqare and the 4 (which is the colour number) by pressing ctrl + k and clicking the colour you want from the box that pops up
02-26-2005 08:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mplante

O.P. RE: RE: [Suggestion] Colored groups
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
You can use pluses custom names to add a colour to the contacts name.
For example setting the custom name as:
code:
4Friends - (!N)
Would show the contacts name in red and with freinds prefixed to it.

You can get the sqare and the 4 (which is the colour number) by pressing ctrl + k and clicking the colour you want from the box that pops up

That's pretty good, but then I'd have to do that to every contact... And adding the name of the group to all of them would certainly clutter the list. Anyway, right now I'm not even using plus, because I'm using the leaked beta... I hate having to have the latest version... but I can't help it :) Anyway, thanks for the tip, I didn't know you could use those codes, I'll probably use them once 3.50 is released. It sucks, having to use MSN without my custom nicknames... I can't recognize half of those email addresses :) I'm so stupid :)
02-26-2005 08:11 PM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
If you are worried about the time it will take to do every contact, just copy and paste
code:
 <any number> (!N)

Your contact will keep the name they have in the colour of your choice (depending on number chosen). ALternatively, instead of typing  <number> you can press Ctrl+K to bring up the choice of colours window

This post was edited on 03-04-2005 at 02:06 PM by haydos.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

02-28-2005 03:27 PM
CanadianOriginal

Please Stand By

44 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mplante
I have a suggestion for Messenger Plus! and I think a lot of people would find it useful (or I hope they do). I currently sort my contacts by offline/online status, because sorting by groups adds about 5 or 6 extra lines to my contact list, and I hate that. I wish I could attach colors to different groups. For example, the "co-workers" group could be represented by the color green, and "friends" could be red. Then, even when I sort my contacts by online/offline status, I could still know which group they are from... Of course this would be overridden by a contact's personal color (for example, if I wanted "Jack" to always be purple, that would override the group color). So, what do you think?

I like this idea. Not the most useful, but I can see it coming in handy. To expand on this, I could also see colour by status, either per contact, or global. Again, not the most useful feature, but it can have it's purpose.
~ Better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven
03-01-2005 01:42 AM
Joel4119

It doesn't take that long to add a color tag to each contact name, even if your contacts list is full.
03-01-2005 06:09 AM
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Joel4119
It doesn't take that long to add a color tag to each contact name, even if your contacts list is full.
Still, the point is having it automated :P
03-01-2005 06:19 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Joel4119
Remember, the point of Messenger Plus is to make Msn Messenger as fun, enjoyable,  and easy to use as possible.  That included features from MsgPlus and Msn Messenger. 

mplante, great idea, but wait untill mid march, that is when Patchou will be taking suggestions for Plus. 
03-01-2005 05:52 PM
The_Thief

The man with a thousand sites :D

48 / Male / –
Does that only work for msn messenger or does that work for windows messenger to?
03-01-2005 06:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
mplante

O.P. RE: [Suggestion] Colored groups
Joel4119: What a smartass, useless answer. I feel like I'm on the Neowin message board, thanks a lot.

Pr0xY: Finally some respect... thank you. Even if someone disagrees with my idea, I don't appreciate the "your idea is stupid, you're a lazy bum" way of answering... As I said, that's the Neowin way. Anyway, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so I'll just leave it at that.

I know this is not the most useful suggestion you've seen, but that's why it's called a suggestion... Patchou or anyone else can do what they want with it... it was just an idea I had, it would be useful to me, and I'm sure a lot of other people.
03-04-2005 01:24 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: