What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » GREAT IDEA for a Plug-In... I want it sooo bad

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
GREAT IDEA for a Plug-In... I want it sooo bad
Author: Message:
Cryme

O.P. Wink  GREAT IDEA for a Plug-In... I want it sooo bad
Hey I'm no computer wiz like a lot of you out there, so perhaps I can give you my idea and some genius out there can find a way to make it into a plug-in.  I've been wanting this function since MSN emoticons first came out!  Here's my idea:

Make a plug-in that overrides certain default emoticons' keyboard shortcuts.  For example, normally the (x) represents the emoticon of a girl.  Whenever I type it, the girl pops up.  I want to be able to change this shortcut so that whenever I type (x), it LEAVES THAT TEXT as it is.  So perhaps if I could change the shortcut to something like {x}, it would be out of the way.

I'm a math student at the University of Waterloo and I frequently type math formulas and symbols to my friends and colleagues... whenever I want to type the function f at x, known as f(x), I keep getting that stupid girl!  It's sooo annoying.  I very often type things like g(a) - g(0) for example and stuipid pics keep popping up!

It wouldn't just be useful for math students.  Many high school/college/university students will ask another contact for help with a math question... I've helped my little brother several times... but the damned default emoticons get in the way... who needs an icon of a stick-girl anyways???

So if each person could change the keyboard shortcut of any emoticon (not just the custom ones) then they could insert them only when they wish to.

Of course maybe this is impossible... I hope not.  If anyone thinks they can do this please reply on this thread and give it a go!  I'd REALLY appreciate it...  THANKS!!!

Ryan.
4B Mathematical Physics
U of Waterloo
03-17-2005 03:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
RE: GREAT IDEA for a Plug-In... I want it sooo bad
Download Stuffplug-NG from http://www.stuffplug.com
or just /noicon tag before each message you send.

This post was edited on 03-17-2005 at 03:28 PM by Weyzza.
Registered 7659 days, 13 hours, 52 minutes, 26 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

03-17-2005 03:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Cryme

O.P. RE: GREAT IDEA for a Plug-In... I want it sooo bad
Ahhh!! It did it again!!! You see what I mean??  I DID NOT want any of those emoticons in the body of my message!!!

Instead of (x), I wanted (x )  (without the space)
Instead of (a), I wanted (a )

Can't I type simple function values??  I feel like I'm taking CRAZY PILLS.

Ryan.
03-17-2005 03:27 PM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
Cryme, if you want to disable emoticons in your messages, open your messenger contact list, go to Tools --> Options --> "Messages" and disable "Show Emoticons".
Your contact has to disable that option aswell in order to see the (x) or (a), eg. the emoticon shortcuts :)

This post was edited on 03-17-2005 at 03:43 PM by andrey.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
03-17-2005 03:43 PM
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
there is a messenger plus feature to do this

you type /noicon then your message and it removes all emoticons from that message
03-17-2005 03:46 PM
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
Do as Lee Jeffrey says, or as andrey says... you could also try
New LaTeX Math Plugin if you know how to do LaTeX writing? which is a very good idea if you use lots of math stuff.. :d...
03-17-2005 04:47 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Cryme
Ahhh!! It did it again!!! You see what I mean??  I DID NOT want any of those emoticons in the body of my message!!!

Instead of (x), I wanted (x )  (without the space)
Instead of (a), I wanted (a )

Can't I type simple function values??  I feel like I'm taking CRAZY PILLS.

Ryan.
StuffPlugNG has the ability to disable emoticon completion. Together with a custom talker that adds /noicon infront of your message will not show any emoticons.
03-17-2005 07:03 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
aaarggh, confusing thread (another one)...

to the people in general: use the "quote"-button if you want to reply to something specific and give a nice explaination, which is very important in this case... I can perfectly imagine that many posts are very confussing and don't make much sense for a first time user (no offense though). Even if recapped (see below) this will still be confussing...

So recap:

* Disable "Show Emoticons in messages" in the MSN Messenger Options: Tools > Options > Messages

This will disable the emoticons in a conversation all together. This means that if you type :P, it will not automatically be changed in :P. This also means that text recieved from your contacts will not have emoticons in them, but the code instead. But beware, your contacts still see the emoticons, unless they too disable this option of course.

* To disable only the automatically emoticon appeariance when you type :P, you can use the Messenger Plus! plugin StuffPlug-NG or some other patches which patch your MSN Messenger.

This plugin has many options, one of these is to disable the auto-emoticon typing. Result will be that you wont see the emoticons while you're typing, just like in the old MSN Messenger versions. But your contact will still see the emoticons.

* The Messenger Plus! command '/noicon' can be used to send a text without emoticons. This means when you type "/noicon (f)x" you contact will see "(f)x", regardless of the above options.

With the plugin StuffPlug-NG you can also enable an auto-talker so that the command '/noicon' will be automatically added to your texts.

* For maths, there is a special plugin created called LaTeX Math Plugin (which works, but still has some issues). Both you and your contact need this plugin (and Plus! of course). With it, you'll be able to make and display complex math formulas. The plugin will convert typed formula's into a proper displayed formula.

This plugin has nothing todo with emoticons displaying or not.

This post was edited on 03-17-2005 at 07:44 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-17-2005 07:38 PM
Cryme

O.P. RE: GREAT IDEA for a Plug-In... I want it sooo bad
Hey thanks guys.  Good summary Cookie I really appreciate a description of all the options.  I will look into them.
To clarify, I want to be able to type (x ) and have both me AND the other contact see only (x ) and not an emoticon... even if they don't MsgPlus or anything...  I don't want to disable all emoticons because sometimes I do want to put in a happy face :P BUT the dumb (x) and (a) are freaking pointless.  I want to be able to disable CERTAIN PARTICULAR default emoticons for BOTH people easily.  I will explore the aforementioned options.  Thanks again!
04-01-2005 03:30 AM
Andrudis

RE: RE: GREAT IDEA for a Plug-In... I want it sooo bad
quote:
With the plugin StuffPlug-NG you can also enable an auto-talker so that the command '/noicon' will be automatically added to your texts.

I have tried for the last several hours, to search for a talker, so I could get this to work. But I can't seem to it. And creating one is not something I can do myself.

So if any of you have information that would help, it would be much appreciated :-)
08-05-2005 08:31 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: