What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Plus! FAQ

2 votes - 5 average   Plus! FAQ
Author: Message:
Sypher

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Plus! FAQ
Messenger Plus! Faq

For Messenger Plus Live you should see the NEW faq!

This faq is NOT maintained anymore. Please visit the MP!L faq

As some people keep asking questions that are already asked I decided to create this General FAQ about Messenger Plus!..

[Image: horizontalline5pn.png]

How do I add colors to my nickname?
Sign in to MSN, open a window with a random contact (it doesn't matter as we don't send text) and type "/nick" and press CTRL+K.. A colorwindow shows up... You can select colors, and if you do this in front of every letter, every letter will have different colors :).. Close your nickname with CTRL+K and press enter.. Voila, your name has been colored!

Does Msgplus have Spyware?! :huh:
No. Msgplus has a fully OPTIONAL sponsor program, which you can install if you like to support the developer (Patchou). This program is classified as 'adware', not as 'spyware'.

The Sponsor is a searchbar, and isn't a security-risk or something like that.

You can choose to install the sponsor, but you can also install Plus! without the Sponsor.

I have installed the sponsor!! Help
If you want to get rid of the sponsor, Go to Software in your controle panel, choose to uninstall Plus! and choose to uninstall just the sponsor program when you're asked what you would like to uninstall. See How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor for more detailed instructions.

Do NOT use anti-spyware applications to remove this sponsor!!! If you did this, you will need to reinstall Plus! with the sponsor first to repair files that were damaged by the anti-spyware applications and are needed for a proper uninstallation.

Can I have different nicknames for different contacts?
No, this is not possible. Maybe some Plugin-developer can create it, but keep in mind that both parties need the plugin!

Can I have a different Display Picture for different contacts?
No, this is not possible. Maybe some Plugin-developer can create it, but keep in mind that both parties need the plugin!

I want the IP of my contact!
There is no reason you need, If he wants to give his/her ip to you they have to type (!IP). It is a real hassle to get it otherwise, although you could take a look at Anubis's reply to logging chat participants IP's in chat log.

I forgot the password from my encrypted chatlogs!
Sorry, but there is NO way to find that password. Second, it would be unsafe it there wás a way :)

How can I get oversized DP's/CE's/Unlimited smilies etc etc?
Install StuffPlug

Does Messenger Plus! work at mobile phones, PDA's or Trillian?
No, Messenger Plus only works at MSN Messenger 4.7 and higher

How can I remove the TaskBar Flashes?
Try this :)

The Plus! menu isn't in my Messenger!
Verify if you have a version of 4.7 or higher. Try closing Messenger (CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Task Manager -> Kill Process MSNMSGS.exe and restart MSN..

If you are having trouble after that, try to change the Hooking Method (3rd TAB at first page, Forced Hooking)

How do I install a Plugin?
If the Plugin has a Installer, Run it.. Else extract the contents of the zipfile (or just the DLL file) into "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus!\Plugins\" (most of the times this is the plugin-folder)... Some installers reload the plugins theirselves, but most of the time you have to do it yourself.

Close MSN Messenger (Fully close it, don't minimise it) and close Msgplus (CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Task Manager -> Kill Msgplus.exe.

Restart Messenger Plus (C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus!\msgplus.exe) and MSN (Don't start MSN first.....)

How do I uninstall a Plugin?
First close MSN Messenger (Fully close it, don't minimise it) and close Msgplus (CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Task Manager -> Kill Msgplus.exe.

Go to the Plus! Plugins folder, most of the times this is "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus!\Plugins\" and delete the .dll file of the plugin.. Then restart Plus (C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus!\msgplus.exe) and MSN..

The Plugin should be removed now. Some of the developers deliver a uninstaller with their plugin. Use this one for easy removal.

Can I beta-test Messenger Plus! ?
No, The Bèta testing is all being done by specially selected persons..

How can I develop a plugin for Plus! ?
There isn't a program to do so, you have to code everything. You can choose out various languages, currently Visual C++, VB.net and Visual Basic..

You can get the API from here!

I'm having problems with the Bèta...
Beta's are mostly not given out to the public, only to official Plus! Beta-testers...  If you are using a leaked version it might be better to deinstall it, beta's can be unstable...

The tabbed msn thingy from Plus! doesn't work...
That's correct, the current version doesn't have Tabbed Conversations, but the upcoming version has..

Microsoft Anti-Spyware / some other anti-spyware program says Plus! still has spyware, but I haven't installed the sponsor!
Some anti-spyware applications give out false warnings. If you haven't installed the Sponsor, you don't have it.. Period.

Why doesn't my Messenger Plus automatically load at windows start-up?
Try setting your Plus! startup to Forced (Preferences -> Miscellaneous -> Set the Automatic Recovery to "Default - Forced" and try again :)

I cannot change any of the MSN options located on other tabs than the first one...
It's (at moment of writing) a bug in SPNG.. Disable the Tabmanager and it should work fine!

[Image: horizontalline5pn.png]

This is the FAQ for now, I will update this from time to time..

I hope this "little" FAQ answers all your questions :)

This post was edited on 06-25-2006 at 09:48 AM by Sypher.
Messenger Plus Beta Tester
Plus! Live Faq Maintainer
07-21-2005 12:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: