What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Chat Log Password Problem

Chat Log Password Problem
Author: Message:
GagnierA

41 / Male / –
O.P. Chat Log Password Problem
I asked about this problem in the IRC channel already, so instead of typing it all out I'm just going to copy-and-paste that text. :)

quote:
<GagnierA> well I have my own computer that no one else uses (of course), so I wanted to take the passwords off of my chat logs because there was no use for them anymore....but when I went to take the password off, it said the password I had typed was incorrect but I knew that I had to be correct because it's the same password I use for almost everything....so I went ahead with the "decryption" and now I can't open any of my chat logs

<GagnierA> is there anyway I can salvage or fix this?

<GagnierA> this has happened to me before, but I ended up deleting all my logs instead of asking for help....so instead of doing that, I want to keep them this time

<Jaguar> well there is no way of salvaging them if it tells you that the password is incorrect, sorry mate

<GagnierA> there must be some kind of way....I have almost a year of chats saved up and alot of those chats have valueable information in them that I need to refer to from time to time

<GagnierA> this is horrible

<Jaguar> as far as i know, and im quite sure, there is no way. but maybe if you stick around here someone else might know a way. but im still pretty sure that there is no way

<GagnierA> is there anyway that I could send this to Patchou?  he might have a solution

<GagnierA> this is extremely important

<Jaguar> yes, by posting it on the forums

<Jaguar> shoutbox.menthix.net

<GagnierA> alright :) thanks man, I'll try that out :)

<Jaguar> you're welcome :)

As mentioned in the text above, this is extremely important....so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks alot in advance :)
07-23-2005 07:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
multimillion2k

– / Male / –
RE: Chat Log Password Problem
I don't use this feature myself, but here's a few topics that may point you in the right direction:
Encrypting Archived Logs - not really related
Encryption Problem PLEASE HELP
How do I DECRYPT my log files?

They might help if for some reason you can't access the files but you know the password IS correct. If it isn't, then unfortunately there's little else you can do. Hope it helps.
07-23-2005 09:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
GagnierA

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Chat Log Password Problem
hmmm....checked out those links....it's interesting that the first post in that second link is almost verbatim to mine...lol.  Not everything is similar, but I definately wouldn't call it a coincidence though, there's definately a problem here.

There are alot of things that can be pondered as to what a solution to this problem could be....

What algorythm is used to encrypt the chat logs? 

Is there any seed modifications done with the original password text, or is the password text the seed at face-value? 

Why would the program tell me my password is wrong when I try to decrypt the files, it's the same password I used to encrypt them...then subsequently open them...and then after the "decryption" the files are still encrypted, but with an unknown password....maybe the password is getting inverted somehow within the process?

Those are few of the questions that have been running through my head since this happened....
07-23-2005 09:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: