What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Anti-Spyware

Anti-Spyware
Author: Message:
Yukito

O.P. Anti-Spyware
I agree with Microsoft Anti Spyware being alert that the installer can install the Lop search which takes months to save your computer from as I have experienced first hand. If you dont know, Lop also comes with Kazaa and can cause serious damage to any computer. I really think that you should take it out as when people see it they regard it sometiems as an EULA where they naturally pick yes. Yes it is their fault but its yours too, you could get another sponser and not be known as a threat. This will stop the argument and resolve the whole matter! I Love MSG Plus! and would like to see the project carry on, but not if this ad-ware/spyware group is going to carry on as your sponser!
08-22-2005 07:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
RE: Anti-Spyware
quote:
Originally posted by Yukito
the installer can install the Lop search which takes months to save your computer from as I have experienced first hand
It takes months to go to add remove programs and uninstall the sponsor through the plus uninstaller?

quote:
Lop also comes with Kazaa and can cause serious damage to any computer.
The sponsor is a customised version of a Lop package and isnt damageing.

quote:
Yes it is their fault but its yours too
How? There are many places in the install process that make it clear that its not an EULA.  (For example the picture of the search bar above the agreement)

quote:
you could get another sponser and not be known as a threat.
If its any form of adware then it would be classed as an adware bundler?
08-22-2005 08:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I agree with Microsoft Anti Spyware being alert that the installer can install the Lop search which takes months to save your computer from as I have experienced first hand.
Microsoft Anti Spyware does not detect the installer and the sponsor, it detects msgplus.exe itself (which contains no adware/sponsor at all and even can't install it). Microsoft Anti Spyware also deletes the wrong files, instead of uninstalling the sponsor like it should, and in doing so effectivly corrupting the computer from the user; it is not the sponsor that is corrupting the computer. More about this can be read in the petition.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-22-2005 08:30 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
this is the lowest damge sponsor i know i have it on my pc many times :)
08-22-2005 08:33 PM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
¬_¬ Get another sponser who dont fucking install shit on your computer, then this whole thing would be resolved
I don't see what's wrong with this sponsor. It installs and uninstalls perfectly well, when I choose it. *-)

And it doesn't cause any damage at all.

Btw, please be polite. We're being polite to you. :)

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

08-22-2005 08:39 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
And if you don't agree with the sponsor being installed, then don't install the sponsor. The setup is very clear in that...

quote:
then this whole thing would be resolved
Unfortunatly, it won't. The sponsor is needed for Plus! to keep surviving. Patchou works 24/7 on Plus!; it is his full time job. If there is no sponsor, there will be no Plus! anymore. Also don't underestimate the amount of money it takes to keep Plus! running; the dedicated high-volume servers, sound servers, these forums, etc, etc aren't for free either. Unfortunatly we live in a world where services needs to be payed, either by advertising or either by cash....

C2Media has very different kind of sponsor packages, all in a different degree of advertising. And as absorbation has said the sponsor included in the installer is a special stripped down dedicated build for Messenger Plus!. It doesn't "damage" your computer as some other (and not-optional) sponsor packages in other softwares.

Another sponsor would also not solve this as it will also be (rightfully) classified as adware and people still would complain.

All this said, the problem would still not be solved if there wasn't any sponsor at all. The picture is much bigger...

MSAS detects wrong files and removes files it shouldn't be removing, and thus crippling the computers of the users. It is a bug in MSAS which needs to be fixed. MSAS is known for this kind of things, and wrong detections, false alerts, etc have already been accured for other software titles (heck, even websites).

MSAS is a professional product and trusted (unfortunatly in many case blindfolly) by many people. It should fix this kind of bugs if they want to keep their status as "a good anti-adware/spyware product". Misinforming their users, keeping them in the dark and corrupting uninstallers behind their backs isn't what such a product should do, regardless if there is a sponsor in Plus! or not.

This post was edited on 08-22-2005 at 08:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-22-2005 08:56 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: