What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus
Author: Message:
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
O.P. Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus
quote:
Originally posted by TemMan
Much as though I like Messenger Plus, I have to say for the millions of mums and dads and computer illiterates who are naive and just install software without reading the fine print... by even installing adware Messenger Plus is part of the adware/spyware problem.

Yes, I realised it's not the main executable. Yes, I realise the installer is the only thing that could potentially install adware.

But you know, it doesn't make any difference.

There are thousands of adware/spyware coders out there who lie and deceive and inject all manner of tricky code in there that wrecks the performance and operation of millions of PCs. Even "harmless adware" reaches a disruptive critical mass when you have dozens of programs all installed on one computer. I've seen it myself.

And when you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. And that's what happened with Messenger Plus.

For me, I'm computer literate enough to read and understand what I am installing and make sure that I never install admware or spyware knowingly.

Patchou... I would strongly suggest you find some other way to gain/maintain your sponsors. Your application is great and you might win the battle here.. but in the long run I think you will lose the war.

Someone else will eventually develop a free enhancement to MSN without an adware installer... with an alternative revenue method... and then where will you be?

How many of you agree with him? In a way he is right.

But Patchou has his own rights to choose. So he is right too.

What is your opinion Patchou?

Guys put down your thoughts here...

EDIT : Guys this is not for arguing about using Sponsor or not..its about finding a new sponsor for (if Patchous wishes to) Msg Plus.. So pls be nice & polite.. Do not flame..Thanks

This post was edited on 09-05-2005 at 11:42 AM by shine.
09-05-2005 11:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus
This has been discussed several times.

It's all great to give your opinion, but who came up with an alternative way of earning money for Patchou?

Feel free to search for something (another sponsor)...

Edit: I hope I didn't come across as harsh. (Y)

Try to be nice, guys. This is one of the rare ocassions in which someone didn't insult anyone to give their opinion. :)

This post was edited on 09-05-2005 at 11:32 AM by L. Coyote.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

09-05-2005 11:06 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Scratchy

35 / Male / –
Without the sponsor software Patchou wouldn't earn any money.

Patchou is human so he needs to drink, eat and so on.

No sponsor = no money = no Patchou. :p

There's nothing more to say, IMHO. :)
[Image: Screeny.png]
Smile Empty Soul r0xXx0rs my s0xXx0rs.

Using:
MSN Messenger 7.5.0306 || Messenger Plus! 3.60.144

09-05-2005 11:21 AM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
If you dont like the sponser, just don't use the freakin' program

Seriously, if youre not comfortable with the fact that Patchou is distributing this program for free dont use it.

Would you rather pay a subscription fee for it or install a little OPTIONAL program?

This post was edited on 09-05-2005 at 03:09 PM by mwe99.
09-05-2005 11:25 AM
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
i dont get the dogs crack :S and i doubt someone could release an addon that is a good as msgplus that has the same commitment to quality as Patchou
09-05-2005 11:27 AM
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus
With so many users here.. Some one might have contacts to get a sponsor..but before that we shoudl know whats Patchous opinion
09-05-2005 11:32 AM
Scratchy

35 / Male / –
I don't see the problem. Installing the sponsor is your free, rational choice.
You don't want adware and do not support Plus? - Just choose "I Refuse to give my support, install Messenger Plus! without the sponsor" It couldn't be easier.

And hey, since the release of version 3.50 of our favourite Messenger addon, you can remove the sponsor even if you want to let MsgPlus! installed.

PC users should just learn to read the instructions of an installer - just clicking to the end of a setup is always a bad idea.
[Image: Screeny.png]
Smile Empty Soul r0xXx0rs my s0xXx0rs.

Using:
MSN Messenger 7.5.0306 || Messenger Plus! 3.60.144

09-05-2005 11:46 AM
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus
Scratchy pls read the tread..it is not about using/installing sponsor or not..it is about having a good sponsor for Plus... The issue may come up in future.

For eg: A law prohibhiting bundling of adware with a software or something llike that or what reason that MAY come in future
09-05-2005 12:14 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Someone else will eventually develop a free enhancement to MSN without an adware installer... with an alternative revenue method... and then where will you be?
Even if this does happen, the program wouldn't have all of Plus's features so Plus would still be used.

quote:

Patchou... I would strongly suggest you find some other way to gain/maintain your sponsors. Your application is great and you might win the battle here.. but in the long run I think you will lose the war.
If Patchou could find one, he would, however the sponsor works out best at the minute.

quote:

There are thousands of adware/spyware coders out there who lie and deceive and inject all manner of tricky code in there that wrecks the performance and operation of millions of PCs. Even "harmless adware" reaches a disruptive critical mass when you have dozens of programs all installed on one computer. I've seen it myself.
Assuming the computer already has a high ammount of spyware and adware, then Plus's small bit of adware adds to be the cherry on the cake as the processor and memory tops out with all the applications I suppose it could happen.
However the same effect is much more likely to happen if the computer had high ammounts of spyware and adware, then the person downloaded 100mb of music from a CD.

quote:
Originally posted by shine
For eg: A law prohibhiting bundling of adware with a software or something llike that or what reason that MAY come in future
If it does Patchou would comply, so that really isn't a problem.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
09-05-2005 12:24 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Exact same threads have been made in the past with exact the same question. Either they resulted in flaming and insults, or either they didn't solve a thing (other than chit chatting and repeating which has already been said several times).

As for "someone will eventually make an msn messenger addon without a sponsor like Plus!". Again, strong words but in practice I still need to see the first addon that will even come close to Messenger Plus!, let alone one without any sponsors. The only thing that can be compared with Plus! in this field is Messenger Discovery X and even that has sponsors, but doesn't even comes close to Messenger Plus!. People don't know how tough it is to make something like Messenger Plus!, until they try it themselfs and then realize they are busy with it 24/7 and either need to quit it or either quit their job...

As for a replacement sponsor. Nobody has come up with any suiteable replacement yet, and I strongly doubt anyone will, in fact I'm sure about it.

If one does come up with something usefull and knows what he's talking about, they can post on the forum, make a new thread, whatever. Until then, such threads as these are useless and will not contribute anything new or usefull. Mark my words en reread this thread in a few weeks, nothing new will have been said.

This post was edited on 09-05-2005 at 01:41 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-05-2005 01:33 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: