What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Request: Font Character Extention

Request: Font Character Extention
Author: Message:
shazam

41 / Male / –
O.P. Request: Font Character Extention
Hey Crew:

I've looked every I can not only within the forum but as well as with Google.  However I haven't found anything that will allow what I would like to happen.

To be honest, I'm not totally sure if it is possible, but would love to hear feedback on this idea.

I would love to see MSN Messenger have Font Character Extention, extended to include these to font types, "Box Drawing" and "Block Element" chacters.

These are 'Box Drawing' characters  ╚   ╟   ╤
And these would be 'Block Element'   █   ▄   ▒   ■

And if I may push my luck (or even dream day of having this happen) for it to include "Geometic Shaps" with "Miscellaneous Shapes".

Geometic Shapes   ▬   ▼   ◊   ◙
Miscellaneous Symbols   ♣   ♀   ☻    (the last one is a 'black smiling face')

If its possible, how could I go about getting a plugin that would include these characters.  Cos I would really love to see that happen...

shaZam

[Image: attachment.php?pid=581134]

(ps:  I have also included a image to explain what I mean, cos I don't think the characters will show up)

.jpg File Attachment: extention explained.JPG (14.05 KB)
This file has been downloaded 421 time(s).

This post was edited on 12-22-2005 at 05:59 AM by shazam.
12-22-2005 05:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
eSouL

RE: Request: Font Character Extention
How is this not already possible? MsgPlus already supports Unicode.. and these characters are not even Unicide I suppose?
12-22-2005 09:19 AM
shazam

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Request: Font Character Extention
Yeah you are right eSouL.  Unicode characters Õ é ý đ  Which are Acented characters.
12-22-2005 09:51 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
All these 'graphic' letters are found in fonts like Wingdings. So, unless Plus! can change the font used for those characters (it can change colours, so why not fonts?), then they can be used.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
12-22-2005 11:21 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
shazam

41 / Male / –
well the first part isn't totally 100% true.  The 'graphic' letters are also contained in windows default font "Times New Roman", "Arial" and many others.

The characters come from a time when everything was DOS mode and things like windows was a year 3000 dream.  hehe

As for your second part about changing font.  Thats cos Apateu (please forgive me I know I have misspelled your name, Im just really busy atm), wont allow packets to be sent which would be needed to happen to change the font.  That is Msg+ tells the other Msg+ that this is the font used, and if that person don't have it, well *hi*.

But thats the thing.  This isn't changing the font face(type), its simply allowing the extra componets of the font to be allowable.

Im really interested in finding something that will allow this to happen, but thanks to everyone so far that has replied.
12-22-2005 11:28 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Everything in Windows is done with fonts and each font has its own characters. There is no thing anymore like a DOS font, or an pure ascii font, everything is simulated by using a specific font which can have different characters compared to another font for whatever ascii code.

If you want to use those characters you need to use a font which has those glyps.

If you want to use those characters in normal text, then you already can do that if you set the font for your text to the correct font (containing those characters) and use the proper code for those characters within those fonts (which isn't nessecairly the same code as the original extended ascii code like in DOS, or the same as another font for that matter). Of course, the contact also need that font to be installed, otherwise messenger will use the next best font it can find (and possible break the showing as you intended because the glyps for that code are different). And as with all things which has influence on how your contact sees stuff which you have set, he can always override it (again breaking the whole thing).

If you want to use it in your nickname, not possible. You can't change fonts in nicknames.

This post was edited on 12-22-2005 at 12:05 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-22-2005 12:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
shazam

41 / Male / –
"If you want to use it in your nickname, not possible. You can't change fonts in nicknames."

**SIGH**

Haha  thanks CookieRevised.  Yeah thats the place I wanted it the most...  But I guess I have to live with it...  Don't mean I like it, but LOL

12-22-2005 12:05 PM
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
Eh... :S...
I don't see any problems in this...
Using Alt + Unicode Value on Numpad, this works perfectly here...
I can send messages using these symbols.. With Times New Roman as Font...
If I use "/nick" command, I can also set my name to these symbols...
Eg.
"/nick Alt + 9787" would set my nick as the Black Smilie...
12-22-2005 01:29 PM
shazam

41 / Male / –
mmm well when I do it, it don't work.

Ive tried keyboard commands, and I have tried copy and paste...  I can use up to three of these symbols but thats it
12-22-2005 01:31 PM
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
What do you mean with three of these symbols?.. You can get three of the symbols to work?.. Which ones...?
12-22-2005 01:32 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: