What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Tabbed Chats - wrong contact

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Tabbed Chats - wrong contact
Author: Message:
apoc

RE: Tabbed Chats - wrong contact
"it would be nice for the taskbar tab corresponding to the tabbed conversations changed title to match the name of the contact with a new message."

reply: "The auto switching (wich is the only way to switch taskbar buttons/names) has been taken out for a reason. Main reason is the window might change and you don't notice...and end up sending the message (or file) in the wrong conversation.
"

but i'm suggesting only a title change, not auto tab change

[Image: suggestiondd8.jpg]

that sub option is a complete no, unless it only changed if the window is not selected.

This post was edited on 07-20-2006 at 09:55 AM by apoc.
07-20-2006 09:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
OldSchool

RE: RE: Tabbed Chats - wrong contact
quote:
Originally posted by roc
1st:
I remember that in old Plus! for MSN7 there is an option named "Auto activate Tab"(maybe not that but no matter the name:p), maybe we could do it like this:
When chat window is focused(we are reading something or typing), new coming message will not be switched, when we are doing other thing and chat window not focused, activate the new coming message. If it is possible to do that, that maybe perfect :)

This guy is spot on, I don't remember what it was called, but the ONLY time my window changed was when it was not the active window.  I never had a problem with windows switching on me when it was active and another msg came in.

I would love this to be re-added as I have had this new version for 4 days now and am already highly annoyed.  I may just go back to 7.x, since the group IM is also bugged, and makes my window huge to fit all the group members in, instead of leaving my window the size it was and making the group members in a sliding bar/window.

We use this for work and with 13ppl on my team, its beyond annoying when someone asks the group a question and my window shoots to the top of my screen, and I have to wait until I leave the conversation to resize it.  I submitted this in the Support area, but no responses.
07-20-2006 11:04 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by OldSchool
This guy is spot on, I don't remember what it was called, but the ONLY time my window changed was when it was not the active window.  I never had a problem with windows switching on me when it was active and another msg came in.
Then you were very lucky.

Many problems (not only this one) have been experienced with the previous method.

quote:
I would love this to be re-added as I have had this new version for 4 days now and am already highly annoyed.
I don't see how this can be "highly annoying", it is something to get used to, yes, but "highly annoying"?

Also, when you see the taskbar button flashing and you click on it, it is extremely easy to see who has written the new message by seeing the colored tab, which realy stands out of all the rest. Once you get used to that, it is not "highly annoying" anymore, all it takes it a millisecond long look at the tabs and 1 extra click... So it is not like there is absolutely no way to determine who wrote that new message, you don't need to guess or whatever...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-20-2006 11:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
OldSchool

Sorry I was not clear, I am 'highly annoyed' with the fact the window becomes top to bottom of the screen on my laptop when someone on my team decides to ask the group a question, as I previously stated.  Maybe that was hard to figure out after reading my entire post.... ^o)

You are right, the one extra click doesn't bother me too much, nor take that much extra effort, however I waste time clicking it to see it is a friend wanting to chat when I am busy, when before I could see that in the task bar before and ignore them. ;)  A minor thing really in the larger picture.
07-21-2006 12:19 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
[OFF OPTIC]
quote:
Sorry I was not clear, I am 'highly annoyed' with the fact the window becomes top to bottom of the screen on my laptop when someone on my team decides to ask the group a question, as I previously stated.  Maybe that was hard to figure out after reading my entire post.... ^o)
ah I see... but are you sure this is a bug in Messenger Plus!? Uninstall Messenger Plus! and see if it still occurs...

Either way, Plus! fault or not, it was offtopic... and you apparently already have asked this in another thread. Please don't cross-post (and off topic).

[/OFF OPTIC]

This post was edited on 07-21-2006 at 02:43 AM by CookieRevised.
07-21-2006 01:32 AM
Zerosan

– / Male / –
I know what I am about to suggest is not so easy, but, it would be a really nice thing thought^^

How about a system where you give someone a priority, if the focus is on someone with a high priority the tab wont switch automatically.

The Tab wont switch when you have the focus on any window.
07-22-2006 12:03 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Zerosan
How about a system where you give someone a priority, if the focus is on someone with a high priority the tab wont switch automatically.
tbh, that would even be more confusing, chaotic and annoying.

-----------------------------------------------

To show what could be possible, here is a script which does (almost) what is requested.

However, as you will notice there are some consequences with it. And those consequences (or similar ones) will also happen when something like this is included directly in Plus!...

If you test this out in more detail you'll notice that it is far from easy and strait forward to make it behave as you exactly want (the people here in this thread actually requested many slithly different things to start with anyways!).

Hence why Plus! uses the current method it uses and why there are (known) limitations.

eg: When you minimize a tabbed chat window as long as you didn't read all new messages, the taskbar button might still be flashing and the caption will not indicate the person who sent the new message.

When a new message is recieved from a contact you already speaking to, but another tab is active, the taskbar button will also change caption.

Since the caption will change when someone sends you a new message and he/she is not the active tab, the caption might create confusion when you are not busy with chatting or when you are navigating the taskbar buttons.

etc... etc...

It might seem it works perfectly at first sight, but if you test this closer you will see that there are many pitfalls for implementing something like this.

Updated to version 2.0 - POC (added compatibility with WLM 8.5)
Note that this is a POC script ("Proof Of Concept"). This means it isn't fully featured and should be used with care. It wont be updated with new features or whatever and is only provided to roughly show what could be done.
Previous downloads: 185

.plsc File Attachment: Tabbed Chat Taskbar Button Changer.plsc (3.45 KB)
This file has been downloaded 247 time(s).

This post was edited on 07-16-2007 at 12:50 AM by CookieRevised.
07-22-2006 07:56 AM
rockmanneo

RE: RE: Tabbed Chats - wrong contact
quote:
Originally posted by roc

2nd:
I met another bug: Turn on tab chatting function,  open A window then open B window, now press WIN+D to minimize all windows, you'll see window title on taskbar changed to the first opened window A! This bug can recur every time with newest release Plus! and Live Messenger 787. Could you please take a look at this?

I like this bug to be addressed too. Seems that if you open 2 or more contacts with tab chat, whenever you do a show desktop (Win+D) tab focus moves to the contact on the left.
07-25-2006 11:01 PM
ruspant

I guess it should be nice if WP!L flashes last active contact on status bar and switches on it.. ONLY if the message window is not in foreground.
Maybe this could be done by scripting.. if I only had time & knowledge to manage them... :D

Cheers
Ruspant
08-02-2006 08:55 AM
TheCorm

I too liked the old method of the tabbed chats and didn't have any issues.....but of course looking at it from a programming point of view is very different to mine!

I do often think....ah "John" has sent me a message, click on it, ah no I was last talking to "John" it's in fact "Sarah" and so on....

Also, are there any plans for the tabbed chats to display the Nickname rather than the name the person is currently.....some people of course insisit of having whole sentances as their name rather than their actual name so this would be a great feature too.....or is there already and i've missed a checkbox?

Cheers!

Jamie
08-07-2006 03:12 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: