What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » The open/closed window notifier feature

Pages: (26): « First « 10 11 12 13 [ 14 ] 15 16 17 18 » Last »
The open/closed window notifier feature
Author: Message:
AmbulanceX

[ rip the jacker ]

34 / Male / –
RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
yeah that would be a fix, no display pictures. the problem is everones snobbing the idea of a script for this, because it wont be the same.

it WOULD be possable to make a script telling you every time someone downloads your display picture, the protocol change would make this very easy, so someone could make a script or plug in to notify you every time tis downloaded (everytime someone looks at your contact card or opens a convosation with you)
Bulimic rainbows vomit what?, Burn Piano Island Burn!
07-10-2006 10:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
I'm sure it would, but messenger seems to grab display pics without any of the above conditions sometimes.

Cloudy
[Image: cloudy.jpg]
Sig by pirateok/marisaok/marisa ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Moulin Rouge
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return

6707 days, 6 hours, 24 minutes, 14 seconds ago
07-10-2006 10:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ecion

37 / Male / –
Hmm..
I've read a fair chunk of this thread, but if I end up repeating what has already been said, I appologize in advance.

CookieRevised is correct in saying that it isnt reliable.
However, if you know how to use it, it can be very useful.

To see if someone really opened your window, simply click the popup toast, and see if it says "xxx is typing a message", if this is shown then well they obviously did open your window. If "xxx is typing a message" isnt shown, then it is unlikely they opened your window - unless they opened it and didnt plan to say anything.

As for the closed window part, (the most important part in my opinion), that too can also be useful if you know how to use it. You need to remember that the protocol will send a 'BYE' message after convos have been inactive for 60 seconds. But if you get a 'BYE' before 60 seconds, then you know they closed the window. This is useful if you suspect someone of ignoring you, and you get a 'BYE' instantly after anything you say.

So yes, although this addon was unreliable. It was still very useful, as members in this thread have said.
This addon is only thing stopping me from upgrading to WML/MP!L - I've even started looking at scripting one myself, but then learnt you had to directly communicate with the protocol, which cannot be done with scripts..

I've not looked at the Messenger Discovery implementation of this feature, but from what I've read, it opens a window just to tell you someone closed your window? (aka, the protocol opened a connection to get a DP or something, and then it was killed a minute later, and you get a message about it. kinda sucks)

Its pretty bad that people who understand how to use these features are missing out on them due to noobs complaining about their unreliability.

This post was edited on 07-12-2006 at 10:33 AM by ecion.
[Image: ecion_megane_sig2.jpg]
07-12-2006 10:18 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
Nah, when Messenger Discovery detects the event, it pops up its own version of a toast in the lower left portion of the screen by default, although i think it can be set to open a window. Don't hold it as gospel though ;)

Cloudy
quote:

07-13-2006 01:23 AM
fish-luke

well there is a stuffplug comming out for WLM plus! but seeing that the plug ins have a new name chances are the name of stuff-plug  will be changed to, maybe to stuff-scripts...
07-16-2006 04:48 PM
noroom

www.noroom.tk

quote:
Originally posted by fish-luke
well there is a stuffplug comming out for WLM plus! but seeing that the plug ins have a new name chances are the name of stuff-plug  will be changed to, maybe to stuff-scripts...
Wow, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, the name is very likely to be changed, (see fanatic.net.nz for more info), but the program will be a stand-alone application now. Not a Plus! script. It might have a script as a loader/wrapper, but that's it. And what kind of name is "Stuff-Scripts"?

This thread should be locked >.<
07-16-2006 04:56 PM
The_Joker

TF

RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by fish-luke

1. The name is Stuff-Plug3.
2. As said now, it's s stand-alone program, not related to MP!L.
3. The open/closed notifiers have been dropped :(

This post was edited on 07-16-2006 at 05:04 PM by The_Joker.
Messenger Plus! 3.61 unofficial Hebrew translator
Messenger Plus! Live unofficial Hebrew translator
07-16-2006 05:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
tacos_burritos

Someone please make it for WML, MSN 7.5 is too old now but I still won't upgrade coz of this awesome feature that does actually work most of the time.
07-17-2006 04:33 PM
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
So it works most of the time... Meaning just before they send you a message you get something saying they opened the window? Seems pointless, as most conversations start with "hi". Which can be typed almost instantaneously. Anyhow my advice for anyone holding back with 7.5 JUST for this feature, is get Messenger Discovery Live aswell as plus live, as it has this feature. I find it unlikely that anyone will code this for plus...

Cloudy

Edit: I think this is way overdue for a lock...

This post was edited on 07-18-2006 at 01:55 AM by cloudhunter.
quote:

07-18-2006 01:54 AM
tacos_burritos

I've used discovery and its crap, they use extra popups instead of just telling you in the convo that people closed it, I like the natural and non intrusive way that the stuff-plugin did it in 7.5
07-18-2006 06:48 AM
Pages: (26): « First « 10 11 12 13 [ 14 ] 15 16 17 18 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: