What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Per User Settings

Per User Settings
Author: Message:
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Per User Settings
I want it so people can have seperate settings per account, instead of having one main settings thing, this is only an issue with the scripts section, as some scripts are for only one account not two, and if unfortunately the script does not have an off option then it will continue to pester you, is this a possible inclusion soon?

This post was edited on 12-19-2007 at 03:33 AM by Eddie.
...there used to be a signature here :)
12-19-2007 02:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Per User Settings
Script preferences are saved in the registry as global preferences; they have their own registry subkey. Thus not per-user...

If this is going to be changed, it means a very big radical change. So I very much doubt this will happen any time soon.

Moreover, there are reasons why it is the way it is. For starters, scripts are executed even before a user signs in. And they do not stop when a user signs out. So it makes not much sense to store script preferences per-user either.

Although it might have some benefits for some scripts, for others it is simply not logical to store them per-user.

If you want scripts to be executed depending on who signed in, you must alter the script in such a way that it checks upon who has signed in, and only executes its functions depending on that, like you requested here.

This post was edited on 12-19-2007 at 12:36 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-19-2007 12:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Per User Settings
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Script preferences are saved in the registry as global preferences; they have their own registry subkey. Thus not per-user...

If this is going to be changed, it means a very big radical change. So I very much doubt this will happen any time soon.

Moreover, there are reasons why it is the way it is. For starters, scripts are executed even before a user signs in. And they do not stop when a user signs out. So it makes not much sense to store script preferences per-user either.

Although it might have some benefits for some scripts, for others it is simply not logical to store them per-user.

If you want scripts to be executed depending on who signed in, you must alter the script in such a way that it checks upon who has signed in, and only executes its functions depending on that, like you requested here.
Thats the reason as to why i requested this, as the script i wanted to change was only little, but i still failed terribly in trying to get this to work at all, so it can be hard for some people :(

But i do understand the reasoning, thanks cookie (y)

This post was edited on 12-19-2007 at 01:55 PM by Eddie.
12-19-2007 01:52 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Per User Settings
I dunno if it is hard to get this to work. All which is required is to check on the user's email address, which is very basic JScript.

Of course, it depends from script to script where this is done.

eg: in that other thread, it was said to add the check in each function of the script. This is however not required. You only need to place the check in the main function(s) of your script; the function which drives all other functions.

So in the end, all what is required is a small bit of basic knowledge of how JScript works and an understanding of the logic/workings of your own script. Then place a check in its main function. But you need to have that basic knowledge anyways to make a script in the first place.

But I understand your concearn. Though this concearn is only present with people who don't have the basic knowledge yet to script (no offense). Once you gain some experience (which will come extremely quick), you'll have no problems with it.

As you can see in your other thread, in the end, the solution is very simple and very logic: before starting to replace each emoticon shortcut, simply check if the current user (Messenger.MyEmail) is the one for which this script should be executed.

;)

This post was edited on 12-19-2007 at 02:28 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-19-2007 02:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Per User Settings
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I dunno if it is hard to get this to work. All which is required is to check on the user's email address, which is very basic JScript.

Of course, it depends from script to script where this is done.

eg: in that other thread, it was said to add the check in each function of the script. This is however not required. You only need to place the check in the main function(s) of your script; the function which drives all other functions.

So in the end, all what is required is a small bit of basic knowledge of how JScript works and an understanding of the logic/workings of your own script. Then place a check in its main function. But you need to have that basic knowledge anyways to make a script in the first place.

But I understand your concearn. Though this concearn is only present with people who don't have the basic knowledge yet to script (no offense). Once you gain some experience (which will come extremely quick), you'll have no problems with it.

As you can see in your other thread, in the end, the solution is very simple and very logic: before starting to replace each emoticon shortcut, simply check if the current user (Messenger.MyEmail) is the one for which this script should be executed.

;)
JavaScript is not my thing and it never will be, im more into the skinning and have been developing a skin of my own and getting a hang of it really quickly, and no offence taken because i know i am completely thick in the head when it comes to scripting, simply because the development side does not interest me greatly.
12-19-2007 03:05 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: