What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » [split] set MSN\WLM so that you can set the display photo that is displayed for a contact.

[split] set MSN\WLM so that you can set the display photo that is displayed for a contact.
Author: Message:
squarehead0101

O.P. RE: Enhancment for Messenger Plus
Dunno if this is the right place to post this but....

Was wondering\suggesting if you could set MSN\WLM so that you can set the display photo that is displayed for a contact.

Would find it very handy to set it up to a display a photo\image I might have stored on my computer...
07-10-2006 12:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Enhancment for Messenger Plus
It's not possible tos et someone else's DP, sorry.

This post was edited on 07-10-2006 at 02:09 PM by Tochjo.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-10-2006 01:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
AberNStein

RE: [split] set MSN\WLM so that you can set the display photo that is displayed for a contact.
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
It's not possible tos et someone else's DP, sorry.
that's not true.
you could just as well say it's not possible to set someone else's nickname.
custom dps are perfectly possible, but they'd only work on your own computer, obviously.
[Image: gybouserbar6hc.gif]
07-10-2006 09:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: [split] set MSN\WLM so that you can set the display photo that is displayed for a contact.
quote:
Originally posted by AberNStein
that's not true.
Then back it up.
quote:
It isn't possible, unless you mean the Nicknames feature.

The nicknames feature renames contacts on your Messenger only. Their display name cannot be changed by you. Same goes for DPs, except that these get refreshed a lot more often, every time you restart Messenger.
07-11-2006 09:14 AM
AberNStein

RE: RE: [split] set MSN\WLM so that you can set the display photo that is displayed f
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
that's not true.
Then back it up.
quote:
It isn't possible, unless you mean the Nicknames feature.

The nicknames feature renames contacts on your Messenger only. Their display name cannot be changed by you. Same goes for DPs, except that these get refreshed a lot more often, every time you restart Messenger.

I think you misunderstood both me and the op.
quote:
Originally posted by squarehead0101
Was wondering\suggesting if you could set MSN\WLM so that you can set the display photo that is displayed for a contact.
he wants to set the display photo THAT IS DISPLAYED, just as you can set a custom nickname.
you also neglected to quote the last line of what i posted, in which I said that it would only work on your own computer.
07-11-2006 09:36 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
I think you misunderstood both me and the op.
I probably did too ;)
Anyway, I think I understand you now. Thing is, I'm not sure how successful this DP changing would be. You'd have to change the image in Temporary Internet Files, and Messenger's going to want to refresh that on every opened conversation. This could overwrite your own overwrite, restoring the DP shown to the contact's actual DP.
Am I on the right track so far?

Another problem I can think of is that the filenames may be somewhat random, with no obvious link between them and the contacts. And another is that Messenger may use a map.dat file, like in AppData, to keep track of all the DPs. A change in one of the files could cause the entire cache to be refreshed as a result.

I cvan't check this now, as I'm at work. However, I'll edit this with more info when I get home.
07-13-2006 09:32 AM
AberNStein

i was thinking you'd just override the image that's displayed. i.e. instead of replacing 1asdf45sdf326dsf.jpg with the image you want, you'd just make msn/wlm show hello.jpg. (no, not that hello.jpg; though it could be an easter egg.)

i don't think it could be done through scripting, but memory patching, or whatever it is plus does could do it.
07-14-2006 12:21 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I think actually that replacing the '1asdf45sdf326dsf.jpg' (which would actually be 1asdf45sdf326dsf.png) would be easier than getting WLM to look at another file entirely.
07-14-2006 08:46 AM
AberNStein

it might be easier, but then whenever wlm refreshes the display pic from the server (or whatever it does) you'd have to replace it again. and like you said earlier, you'd have to know which one to replace for whom.
07-15-2006 04:52 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: