What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Multiple Messenger ID's in a Directory, Normal?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Multiple Messenger ID's in a Directory, Normal?
Author: Message:
artfuldodga

O.P. Multiple Messenger ID's in a Directory, Normal?
There are Multiple Messenger ID's in my Admin Directory, but I wasn't sure if this was Normal? My ID Folder is in the list & it of course contains my Messenger Settings, What are all the others for? There doesn't seem to be any Information saved in any of them

[Image: messid.png]

Edit: I'm guessing it is normal, & where Window Settings, Colors .. whatever are saved for all your individual Contacts..

Messenger stores things in way to many places :P Anyone wanna break down where everything Relivent is stored?

This post was edited on 08-29-2006 at 07:26 PM by artfuldodga.
08-29-2006 07:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Multiple Messenger ID's in a Directory, Normal?
Guess what? I got the same but in C:\Documents and Settings\<account name>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger:
- number 0 folder containing 1 file: sqmdata00.sqm
- 62 other number maps...all with user tile folder and nothing in it....
- VoiceClip folder
Now this used to be where your personal settings are stored like DPs and Custom Emoticons...strangely enough i don't see them inthere anymore, yet MSN Backup and CE/DP Backup Wizard do find all the files :dodgy:

In the folder you mention i got no MSN Messenger folder. I also noticed Windows Live Messenger beeing in add/remove programs list twice...

Somehow i think this is a WLM bug of somesort....

WLM v. 8.0.0812.00
Plus! v. 4.01.0.240

This post was edited on 08-29-2006 at 07:47 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
08-29-2006 07:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
artfuldodga

O.P. RE: Multiple Messenger ID's in a Directory, Normal?
Yeah, nothing appears to be in all of the other Folders, with the Exception of my own ...
08-29-2006 07:58 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Just calculated wich is my own at http://www.m00.cx/misc/msgrid.php and looked into that one...mostly ones own is the first in the list..well not this time round :O

[Image: attachment.php?pid=721276]

I will delete all others beside the 0 and VoiceClip folder and see what happens (they are suppose to be other accounts that logged in on your WLM).

Edit: sofar nothing happend..even restarted WLM and these folders did not return...

.png File Attachment: IDfolder.PNG (11.98 KB)
This file has been downloaded 1733 time(s).

This post was edited on 08-29-2006 at 08:54 PM by Sunshine.
08-29-2006 08:40 PM
DarkMe

Thx ins4ne for my av :p

31 / Male / –
I have the same folders but all have data
[Image: darkme.png]
08-29-2006 08:42 PM
artfuldodga

O.P. RE: Multiple Messenger ID's in a Directory, Normal?
Every single other one of the ID folders contains the UserTile Folder.
Mine own looks pretty much Identical to yours Sunshine.

Oh, and my ID folder is not first in the list, its down towards the bottom mixed up in between others... :P & Yes one would assume that all the ID's are generated from different people Logging On to their account, but im pretty sure that isn't what is happening :)
08-29-2006 08:54 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by artfuldodga
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
mostly ones own is the first in the list..well not this time round (Smilie)
Oh, and my ID folder is not first in the list, its down towards the bottom mixed up in between others... (Smilie)
The order is as it is because folders are sorted alfabetically, just as files. There is no other meaning behind it....

PS: Nothing will happen when you delete the empty folders, though they will return as this is a bug though... (I always wondered what emails (or strings) they are calculated from though/ to bad you can't reverse the hash :p)

EDIT: they are the IDs of some of your contacts, see next post of mine.

This post was edited on 09-04-2006 at 05:45 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-29-2006 10:05 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
PS: Nothing will happen when you delete the empty folders, though they will return as this is a bug though
Blah, some of them have returned already now :(
quote:
(I always wondered what emails (or strings) they are calculated from though/ to bad you can't reverse the hash :p)
Hehee, what i always wanted too...number to email addy...

To solve the double entry in add/remove programs list i'll prolly try an uninstall and reinstall soon...(making sure there is no Windows Live Messenger left in the add/remove programs list before i reinstall).

Thanks for clearing this up Cookie...still wondering about all those sqm files though (what they are for etc.)...i know before WLM created these in root folder aswell..i deleted those, but now with these inside ID folder i'm unsure what to do with em.

Messenger is storing more and more stuff in various places and gets very untransparant as to wich is what, whatfor and where :dodgy:
08-29-2006 10:41 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The sqm files are "Software Quality Metrics" data collection files, some sort of cache.

They are related to the Microsoft Customer Experience Program (part of Messenger and other MS products for that matter; eg: Office, Media Player, etc can all generate them). Even if you opted out of the Custom Experience Program in the particular program, they still can/will be generated (maybe because they are also related to dump info for when you crash).

They can safely be deleted.

-----------

The multiple IDs in the application directory are the IDs of some of your contacts. The subdirectories are created whenever a contact comes online or when you view some data of the contact (contact card, friends list, etc), etc, that kind of stuff...

I still don't know why they are created though (if this is truely a bug or intentionally; and if the latter, what the exact purpose is).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-04-2006 05:44 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
I solved the double entry in add/remove programs list by running Windows Install Clean Up. It showed the (un)installer of build 792 was still there :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The multiple IDs in the application directory are the IDs of some of your contacts. The subdirectories are created whenever a contact comes online or when you view some data of the contact (contact card, friends list, etc), etc, that kind of stuff...

I still don't know why they are created though (if this is truely a bug or intentionally; and if the latter, what the exact purpose is).
Odd, to me this does look like a bug...afterall it's placed where the sign-in accounts are and those ppl did not sign into your messenger, also the folders contain no data at all...(gathered 24 numbered folders there already again).

This post was edited on 09-08-2006 at 10:25 AM by Sunshine.
09-08-2006 10:07 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: