What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Contacts problem

Pages: (9): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Contacts problem
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Contacts problem
quote:
Originally posted by Zoidy
Hmm good idea but not so sure that would be a issue as I not long reinstalled but its worth a try so I'll do it now and let you know how it turned out :)

Well things worst as I cant login no more as a lot of people been having this problem.

Update:

Well ignore what I said before, I fixed it and not sure how but I think removing the cach as you suggested screws MSN up as I restored the cach as I cut and pasted it elsewhere just in case this happen. And it worked fine now. So I dunno what the heck happened lol

Removing the cache will screw absolutely nothing up. If anything it would fix things, as caches can become corrupt.
Also if you cut/pasted it elsewhere you actually also did removed it.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-17-2006 02:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aLKuwaitia

RE: Contacts problem
i have the exact same problem as zoidy! i tried everything
it works fine with old MSN versions but with MSN live it doesnt

i tried to delete the contacts cache .. and i couldn't sign in .. so i restored it .. and i am able to sign in now with live msn but it never add contacts and never pop up add request !!
10-17-2006 11:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aLKuwaitia
and i couldn't sign in
there are currently problems with msn servers. Many people can't sign in either* (doesn't have anything todo with the cache being deleted; again, deleting the cache will not cause messenger to not sign in anymore).

* Mostly (but not limited to) those who use non-msn related accounts (eg: non-hotmail@, @msn, @live, etc accounts...)

This post was edited on 10-17-2006 at 11:35 PM by CookieRevised.
10-17-2006 11:30 PM
aLKuwaitia

i tried with @hotmail and other that hotmail

i am in now i restored the cache
but still the contact list can never be updated that means i cant add and i cant receive new add request!
with msn 7.5 its working fine
just with live

any solution?
10-18-2006 12:43 AM
Zoidy

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Contacts problem
Well I know removing the cache is not suppose to do anything. The problem is that it cannot login to update the cache. Most people that have downloaded Windows Live for the very first time have not been able to login at all. if your Email address is not @hotmail.com, @msn.com etc you dont seem to have problems. I'll test this later.

Oh no reply yet from Microsoft and its been over a day now. I guess there must be thousands of people submitting feedback and they cant keep up lol
10-18-2006 03:03 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Based upon the posts of SteveC and MartyS (Windows Live Messenger support and test manager) in the Official Windows Live Messenger Newsgroup:

Explanation

Issues which all boiled down to the same cause:

- Attempting to login but all you get is eternally spinning buddies
- Login works but you can't add contacts
- Login works but you don't get any contacts
- Error codes when signing in (for example 81000314)

Cause of problems:
  1. An outage in one of the data centers which prevented some people from updating or accessing their contacts.

This has been fixed, but contacts added during this outage will unfortunatly be lost and need to be added again.

2. Some back end systems had trouble with the handshaking (technicial term to indicate the communication protocol between systems): Messenger was trying to send a request for the contact list and the response it was getting was't what was expected due to modifications on other back end systems.

This was fixed last night (oct. 17th 2006), but there are still people who might not be able to sign in or add contacts, etc: Those people who tried to log in at the exact time when an errorneous handshake was in effect.

To fix this you need to delete the cache of this handshake policy. Once this cache is deleted a new and fixed handshake can take place and the errors will be gone.

Fix

Delete you handshaking policy cache:
  1. Exit Messenger completely (this means right clicking the Messenger tray icon and choosing Exit).

2. Open your registry editor (Start > Run > regedit.exe) and navigate to:
       for Messenger 8.0: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
       for Messenger 8.1: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\Communications Client

3. Once there, you must remove the following subkeys:
       for Messenger 8.0: Policies
       for Messenger 8.1: Shared

4. Close your registry editor and restart Messenger.

Make sure you don't delete or modify anything else. Wrong alterations can cause serious problems for Windows. For those who are not comfortable editing the registry, I've made a registry file which will do these alterations (steps 2 and 3) for you. Simply download the file, save it, and run it (eg: by double clicking on it):

http://home.scarlet.be/~tsf54471/msn/deletehandshakingcache.reg

nothing will be lost when applying this fix, unlike with some other 'fixes'.

This post was edited on 11-12-2006 at 01:11 PM by CookieRevised.
10-18-2006 08:08 AM
Zoidy

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Contacts problem
yay that worked, I was too lazy to open Reg edit and use the search option let alone delete them lol

You dont have to readd them as it seems to do it automatically. if you have to just delete and readd on person and it automatically deletes users and readds them.

Was kinda creepy watching my list grow smaller then bigger then maller and bigger again slowly for ike a minute lol

Oh and I found out why it as doing that..... it added a heap of users I deleted like six months + ago -_-

This post was edited on 10-18-2006 at 01:08 PM by Zoidy.
10-18-2006 01:05 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
miniroscoe12

im having this problem too. Iv tried doing what was suggested and deleted the shared, but that has done nothing. Im not too sure if i did it right tho because im not very good with computers

Will it fix the problem if i completely remove windows live messenger and then reinstall it? Will i loose all my contacts if i do that?

(EDIT)

Forget that post i think iv sorted it. Thank u Peeps :D

This post was edited on 10-18-2006 at 02:47 PM by miniroscoe12.
10-18-2006 02:20 PM
aLKuwaitia

WOW!! finally it worked!!

thanks alot
10-18-2006 03:49 PM
mattburnsey

39 / Male / –
Awesome!  Thanks so much, it appears the problem is fixed!  You rock!  The registry file you posted did the trick.

This post was edited on 10-18-2006 at 06:21 PM by mattburnsey.
10-18-2006 06:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (9): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: