What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » "Software not Loaded" Error

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
"Software not Loaded" Error
Author: Message:
Ant_inthe_UK

45 / Male / –
O.P. "Software not Loaded" Error
I've got the same "Software not loaded" problem which several others seem to have as well.   

I do not use any MSN plugins (other than MsgPlus), I do not have any software such as smiley central.
I did a complete uninstall of both MP!L and WLM, removed both folders from C:\Program Files  and then reinstalled first WLM and then MP!L.

I still get the same error message.  Is there a more detailed error log somewhere which might help me pinpoint the error, or a way to put MP!L into debug mode or something?

I've been in tech support for many years, and I personally find this error message unhelpful...  Hopefully someone can give a better answer than what I checked in the FAQs, and the repeating of the FAQs which seems to be the only answer these threads have had previously.

Software Versions:
Windows XP SP2 (up to date on official MS patches)
Windows Live Messenger 8.0 (Build 8.0.0812.00)
Messenger Plus Live 4.11.0.254

For those who haven't seen what the error looks like...

[Image: msgpluserror.jpg]

This post was edited on 12-13-2006 at 12:07 PM by Ant_inthe_UK.
12-13-2006 12:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kwedeth

RE: "Software not Loaded" Error
When you open Windows Live Messenger for regular use, do you get a message pop up saying "The application or DLL [file path] is not a valid Windows image" or something along those lines?

Because I had that problem, plus when Messenger loaded I got the exact same problem/error as you've described and shown above. Mine had the file path ending in "msgslang(2).dll". Knowing of course that anything in a program's files with a (2) at the end is probably a mistake or not supposed to be there, I deleted it (coupled with the fact that there was a file with the same name minus the (2) in the folder, and that the problem file was also of size 0 Kb).

Bingo, MSGPlusLive works fine for me now. :D

Hopefully that will work for you as well. Unless of course you're not even getting that error message when opening Messenger... in which case, Good Luck! :P
12-24-2006 04:34 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
Do you have sweetim or smiley central installed?

if yes:
try removing that and see if it makes a difference

if no:
remove both Messenger and Messenger Plus! by going Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and then go to "C:\Program Files\" and delete the "MSN Messenger" and "Messenger Plus! Live" folders (if they are still there). Then install both programs again.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
12-24-2006 01:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Please remember to SEARCH before posting.

"software not loaded" ERROR
CookieRevised's reply to Error Message When Installing
Cannot Properly Install
Sounds, colors, commands not working? Please read!
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-24-2006 03:26 PM
noki_zoki

" Because I had that problem, plus when Messenger loaded I got the exact same problem/error as you've described and shown above. Mine had the file path ending in "msgslang(2).dll". Knowing of course that anything in a program's files with a (2) at the end is probably a mistake or not supposed to be there, I deleted it (coupled with the fact that there was a file with the same name minus the (2) in the folder, and that the problem file was also of size 0 Kb). "

how do you find the file?
12-26-2006 03:37 PM
Zahid™

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by noki_zoki

It will proabably be in C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\
[Image: Zahid.png]
12-26-2006 04:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MattyRid
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: "Software not Loaded" Error

quote:
Originally posted by noki_zoki

by reading this I'm sure you will find the folders mentioned in this thread.
12-26-2006 09:26 PM
Ant_inthe_UK

45 / Male / –
O.P. RE: "Software not Loaded" Error
@ MattyRid - My first post explicitly states that I do NOT have any such apps installed, and that I have tried exactly what you suggested - please remove/edit your post to show that your "solution" did not work.  USELESS POSTS FROM YOU.

@ Chris4 - I DID search the forums, but all the topics have some additional error message which needed fixing which I am not seeing - therefore I have a different problem.  USELESS POST FROM YOU.

quote:
Originally posted by Myself
Hopefully someone can give a better answer than what I checked in the FAQs, and the repeating of the FAQs which seems to be the only answer these threads have had previously.

Wish you'd read my original post before you jump in with the exact same type of posts I see from you guys all over the forum.  I am not some little kid who hasn't done his homework before I posted here. I am 28 years old and I work in IT Support - I've read the FAQS, I've searched these forums for other hints and tips. I've done clean installs.  I do NOT appreciate being patronised by teenagers trying to make a name for themselves.

@ Kwedeth - thanks for your helpful post, but that is not my issue.

I see no error message when I installed MP!L or WLM, nor do I receive any error message when I start WLM.

12-27-2006 11:34 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: "Software not Loaded" Error
quote:
Originally posted by Ant_inthe_UK
@ MattyRid - My first post explicitly states that I do NOT have any such apps installed, and that I have tried exactly what you suggested - please remove/edit your post to show that your "solution" did not work.  USELESS POSTS FROM YOU.

First of all, I was also helping the others who posted in this thread as well so don't just think that every post is directed at you. Maybe you should be in IRC one day and try and handle 6 or more complaints by 1 person at 1 time, now that's all I have to say for that....now onto point 2. Now you say you removed the program files and that's fine but I think we should probably go and do a similar thing but in a different way. Give these detailed instructions a go and see if the same thing still happens after that. But also be aware that you will lose custom emoticons, etc.

If that still doesn't work then I would definitely do a double check that you don't have either smiley central or sweetim installed because unless you only use that computer I suspect someone has installed it then removed it without you knowing and now your in a worse position than what you were before.

This post was edited on 12-27-2006 at 09:41 PM by MattyRid.
12-27-2006 09:35 PM
Ant_inthe_UK

45 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: RE: "Software not Loaded" Error
quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
First of all, I was also helping the others who posted in this thread as well so don't just think that every post is directed at you. Maybe you should be in IRC one day and try and handle 6 or more complaints by 1 person at 1 time, now that's all I have to say for that....

The only other person who had posted had said his problem had been solved.  Once you've tried working in IT Support as your job, then you'll understand what pressure is about.  There are 218 open cases in my work queue at the moment... and 2 people working the queue (hooray for christmas!).  We have to prioritise critical cases and VIP cases simultaneously... On top of that we get rated and reviewed by the people we help.  We can't afford to give useless help to a single one of our clients.

However, the suggestion to try clearing all the temp files and user data is worth a try.  Still feels like trying to run through a room in the dark though.   Is there no way to get a more detailed error message?

And I can confirm that I am the only person who uses the machine.
12-28-2006 12:08 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: