What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Script that disables another

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Script that disables another
Author: Message:
Orgrim Doomhammer

For The Horde!

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Script that disables another
Thread name says it all... I need to know which functions to use to close a script... can anyone help? thx
01-05-2007 04:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Script that disables another
Similar thread

This post was edited on 01-05-2007 at 05:12 PM by Jimbo.
01-05-2007 05:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
Similar thread
that's not similar at all. That thread is about something different.

Although, it might be the reason why Orgrim asked it. In other words: the question is far from clear enough to jump to that conclussion, and thus:

quote:
Originally posted by Orgrim Doomhammer
I need to know which functions to use to close a script...
Basicly you can't.

A script either starts running when the user logs in or it isn't.

You can't start/stop a script by another script command. You can however start/stop a script manually by going to the Plus! preferences.

There is maybe a trick (need to test this myself), but that would be quite a dodgy and certainly not recommended way.

The big question is: why do you exactly (and in detail) want to stop a script? What is the reason behind it? (and if possible, post your entire code you already got to clarify this).

I ask this because in many cases you do not need to stop a script, or it is even not the required/correct thing todo from your script to perform a certain action and there might be far better ways to do what you actually want to do..

This post was edited on 01-05-2007 at 05:17 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-05-2007 05:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Orgrim Doomhammer

For The Horde!

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Script that disables another
well, it was because of Stuffplug's commands being blocked by scripts like Message Customizer (I think this is due to colour codes at the beginning of messages), so I'd like to stop it whenever the "!" is typed
01-05-2007 05:16 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
well, it was because of Stuffplug's commands being blocked by scripts like Message Customizer (I think this is due to colour codes at the beginning of messages), so I'd like to stop it whenever the "!" is typed

I think that may be being built into Message Customizer (It SHOULD already be IMO) or it can be added quite easily with an if statement
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
01-05-2007 05:23 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
In that case you should not stop scripts at all...

Instead, scripts should never block commands. This means that any script should always return the complete message back when they do not detect a command in it processed by themselfs. And that means either returning the complete unedited message, or not use the return command at all.

If there are scripts, like Message Customizer, which always manipulate the message, then this again means it is a bug in those scripts, and should be fixed instead (to not manipulate the message if they are commands).

However.... There is also another way of dealing this and it would be a way easier way for everybody. Because there are extremely many scripts which use "!" commands also, they too will not function properly with scripts like Message Customizer. And it all comes down to reconizing commands.

And that is the exact reason why one should always use commands starting with "/" and not commands starting with "!", "^", or whatever other format (and I hope everybody who made/published a script using such commands reads this).

This, even includes, imho, StuffPlug. In short: the method of StuffPlug of using "!" commands will actually break many scripts. It is also not what the Plus! user is used too since proper commands start with "/". Thus using "!" commands is not only bad for all those scripts developpers, it is also not good for StuffPlug, since many people will have problems with it.

Hence: StuffPlug should use "/" commands too....

Otherwise, disable all scripts (manually) which will break command lines.

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
I think that may be being built into Message Customizer (It SHOULD already be IMO) or it can be added quite easily with an if statement
tbh, there is nothing to be fixed. "!"-commands are actually not commands, but just text. That is how Plus! deals with it and that should be the way any other script developper should deal with it.

So, Message Customizer is actually correct in not dealing them as commands.

One can not expect that all scripts are made compatible with all kinds of rogue plugins, addons, scripts, etc which do not follow the standard.

The solution is extremely simple: follow the standard: commands start with "/", anything else are not considered commands.

This post was edited on 01-05-2007 at 05:33 PM by CookieRevised.
01-05-2007 05:27 PM
Orgrim Doomhammer

For The Horde!

34 / Male / Flag
thank you all guys... I've just added a piece of code in message customizer and now it works fine... i'll suggest it to Markee and Nanafreak ASAP
01-05-2007 05:57 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Instead you should suggest to anybody else who made scripts with "!" commands, to use "/" commands instead.

It is not Message Customizer (and the likes) which should fix this, it are all those scripts which use "!" commands which should be fixed (including StuffPlug addon).

imho

This post was edited on 01-05-2007 at 06:09 PM by CookieRevised.
01-05-2007 06:07 PM
Orgrim Doomhammer

For The Horde!

34 / Male / Flag
Well, you're right but it was a faster solution to modify a script myself and give the solution to its creators instead of asking all those who made scripts with "!" commands to turn them into "/" commands...
01-05-2007 06:19 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It is not Message Customizer (and the likes) which should fix this, it are all those scripts which use "!" commands which should be fixed (including StuffPlug addon).

But we should always anticipate idiocy :p It's a problem I thought would have occured earlier tbh, with the amount of ! commands... i'm surprised it's only been mentions, because of StuffPlug.

<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
01-05-2007 06:32 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: