What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Notifications suggestion-Auto notify when a contact w'se chat window is open hasevent

Notifications suggestion-Auto notify when a contact w'se chat window is open hasevent
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Notifications suggestion-Auto notify when a contact w'se chat window is open hasevent
I personally think that Event Notifications for every event and for every contact are useless. Because I think not much people care about when their a specific contact changed his status to "Out to lunch" or "In a Call". Event Notif.s are a tradition of Plus! for years but an improvement can be done. That is as the picture at the attachment.

This would be much better in order not to wait a further reply for contacts with whom we are currently chatting and they have gone when you are looking at some other windows on computer. It could be set to either a pop-up or a sound. It would be easier than setting individual notif.s  for every contact.

Also a filter option would be useful for such a feature, like this: Auto notifications will be enabled for selected contacts when their chat windows are open

If this auto-notification conflicts with a Configured event notification, then let that configured notification be superior to auto ones.

I have mentioned this before as some of you will notice but, I have done some improvements. Maybe Patchou likes this feature and adds it.

.png File Attachment: event_notification.PNG (65.92 KB)
This file has been downloaded 168 time(s).

This post was edited on 04-08-2007 at 09:39 PM by ahmetgns.
04-04-2007 04:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Notifications suggestion-Auto notify when a contact w'se chat window is open hasevent
I agree with the idea but not with the implentation ;).

So what I did was simply adding a new selection criteria in the first page of the "event notification wizard" called "Notify for contacts with opened conversation windows" which lets you create separate notifications for people you're chatting with. Hope it suits you.
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-05-2007 01:18 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Notifications suggestion-Auto notify when a contact w'se chat window is open hasevent
We have an idiom in Turkiye, There is always an intelligence superior to an intelligence. Great idea Patchou! (Y)
But please consider this picture. I think this would be nicer for the easy selection of contacts!
[Image: attachment.php?pid=805350]

.png File Attachment: notify_only.PNG (31.14 KB)
This file has been downloaded 306 time(s).

This post was edited on 04-05-2007 at 11:29 PM by ahmetgns.
04-05-2007 11:26 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Notifications suggestion-Auto notify when a contact w'se chat window is open hasevent
I have just thought about the event "started a new chat" and wondered about what precaution can be taken for this conflict. Because this event is in the very middle between the criterion and the notification. Because I have put this idea forward, I feel myself responsible for its all aspects. Sorry for late post ;)
04-17-2007 05:58 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Notifications suggestion-Auto notify when a contact w'se chat window is open hasevent
nice idea of ahmetgns (although I needed to read the whole thing ten times before I understood...)

However:
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
So what I did was simply adding a new selection criteria in the first page of the "event notification wizard" called "Notify for contacts with opened conversation windows" which lets you create separate notifications for people you're chatting with. Hope it suits you.
Nice short easy additions, but it would be nice to have the same possebilities like the other (older) combobox options. That is: to have the possebility to specify all contacts, selected contacts, or non-selected contacts.

In that aspect, I'd like to suggest to at least name the new combo box item to: "notify for selected contacts with opened conversations windows" to make it a bit more clear (and the box is long enough anyways, so...)

Though, I'd like to see also:
- notify for all but selected contacts with opened convos
- notify for all contacts with opened convos

And to make this all a bit more easier, ahmetgns' solution isn't that bad at all:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=805350]

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I have just thought about the event "started a new chat" and wondered about what precaution can be taken for this conflict.
what conflict?
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-17-2007 10:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I'll keep those suggestions in mind. It's unfortunately too late to change anything of this kind for the next release.
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-17-2007 11:57 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
...(although I needed to read the whole thing ten times before I understood...)
Is my english so bad? Maybe I have difficulties to clarify my point? Well, I'll try to improve myself.

Maybe it can't be called as conflict but think that you are adding a notification, you mark that box saying "Notify only when their conv..." and in the second window you select the event "started a new chat" as event associated with the notification. I know nobody wants such a thing normally but if someone wants to test it, what will be the result? Will it show the notif. or won't it because the window is not opened at that time, in fact the window opens at the very same time with the event. In other words the event is exactly the criterion.

EDIT: Also in my opinion those 3 new criteria is not suitable for that combo box and placing those criteria in that existing combo box may be misleading. It says "select the contacts you want to monitor" and therefore combo box must be related to only selection preferences, it mustn't be related to any other criteria. Besides, putting those new ones can be seen as repeating the other three with a small change.

This post was edited on 04-18-2007 at 01:54 PM by ahmetgns.
04-18-2007 01:17 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Notifications suggestion-Auto notify when a contact w'se chat window is open
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
...(although I needed to read the whole thing ten times before I understood...)
Is my english so bad?
yes :)

quote:
Maybe it can't be called as conflict but think that you are adding a notification, you mark that box saying "Notify only when their conv..." and in the second window you select the event "started a new chat" as event associated with the notification. I know nobody wants such a thing normally but if someone wants to test it, what will be the result? Will it show the notif. or won't it because the window is not opened at that time, in fact the window opens at the very same time with the event. In other words the event is exactly the criterion.
totally depends on how it is programmed.

If the check on opened windows is done before checking the event, nothing will be shown. If the check on opened windows is done after checking the event (and another thread has time to open the window etc), a notif will be shown.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-18-2007 01:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
I didn't check that what happens when two configured event notification exist for the same event and contact but it would be good also when two notifications are configured for the same event and contact, one is for open conversation window, and the other is for everytime then if contact's conversation window is open, let the former notif. appears only, not both independently and if not then latter will already appear. Although such a double notification goes against the reason why I put this idea forward, it can be included. I know this is an unnecessary suggestion again.
04-18-2007 09:36 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: