What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Reduce MEM

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Reduce MEM
Author: Message:
latinbeatz

O.P. Reduce MEM
hi..

well i tried the reduce MEM 1.3 script and thou the cpu usage of msn totally decreased to less than 10k it appears to lag a lot.. is this common ?? it doesnt seem worth putting up with the lag..

any ideas...suggestions ??
04-20-2007 12:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
RE: Reduce MEM
I don't use the script, but I assume it would probably put most of it on the the Hard drive rather than keeping it in RAM which in turn slows your computer down making it work harder.

If your going to do it, try not to have such a huge decrease, otherwise your going to keep having the same problem.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
04-20-2007 01:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
latinbeatz

O.P. RE: Reduce MEM
clear enough :D thanks
04-20-2007 01:52 AM
Zhuinden

Keeper of the Void

32 / Male / –
I don't know, it doesn't create any lag for me. Just don't set the Time Interval to too low (so a 10 seconds interval is perfect) and use Method 3. This way, if it lags, I have no idea what the problem is.
04-20-2007 03:09 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
reducemem, as far as i know, probably just puts the extra memory data into the windows pagefile. I have a lag problem too, because I have a small amount of RAM and a much larger pagefile. My suggestion is to experiment to see which of the three methods works best for you, and try making the timer longer.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-20-2007 03:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
I don't use the script, but I assume it would probably put most of it on the the Hard drive rather than keeping it in RAM
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
reducemem, as far as i know, probably just puts the extra memory data into the windows pagefile.
ReduceMEM will do nothing like that...

It simply executes the API EmptyWorkingSet.

However, the original ReduceMEM script from Sypher uses 3 methods to execute this API. (Note: the _only_ difference in methods is how the API is executed, nothing else)

* The first 2 methods use an external file which on its turn uses .NET to execute the API. In other words, the first 2 methods are extremely overkill and actually need _more_ resources and cpu power. And you need the .NET libraries installed. In other words, the first 2 methods are completely useless.

As such, here is a version of the script created by me which does exactly the same as far as memory reduction goes but is a lot smaller. It does not need an external file, DLLs, nor any big .NET libraries as the only thing the script needs to do is calling 1 API and that's it:
ReduceMEM - Cookie Style

quote:
Originally posted by latinbeatz
well i tried the reduce MEM 1.3 script and thou the cpu usage of msn totally decreased to less than 10k...
The script does not reduce cpu usage. In fact, it will increase cpu usage (see below**).

The script attempts to reduce the current working set of the _memory_.

quote:
it appears to lag a lot.
Never choose options 1 or 2 in the script (see above why*).

** because of the usage of external files, dlls and the .NET library in the original ReduceMEM script, the whole Messenger footprint will need _more_ cpu usage than when the script was never installed.

*** The usage of these scripts is on your own risk. In fact, if you want that Messenger runs in the fastest and most stable way do _not_ use such scripts at all...

Using these scripts will slow down Messenger and there is a risk that it becomes unstable. There is a reason why Messenger uses the memory it uses and that is because it needs it. That's also the reason why using that API will only result in a temporary reduction and not a permanent one since Messenger will rewrite everything back to the memory afterwards. Which takes extra time and thus Messenger slows down and more cpu resources are used.

As such, personally I don't see any reason why you would want to use such scripts since they will slow down Messenger, need more cpu resources and there is a risk that Messenger becomes unstable.

Be glad that programs use the memory you've installed instead of ignoring it!!! It would be a complete waste of your money if programs did not used the memory.

PS: such scripts will also _not_ solve memory problems or lack of memory.

;)

PSS: the original thread with Sypher's script and a lot of posts explaining everything is sadly removed. Hence this post which repeats everything important said in that original thread

.plsc File Attachment: ReduceMem - Cookie Style.plsc (1.57 KB)
This file has been downloaded 8036 time(s).

This post was edited on 05-22-2007 at 02:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-20-2007 04:03 PM
BlackStar

I'm one of the Good Guys!

75 / Male / –
It is working very well here "CookieRevised"

You are still rising Your stocks in my world.
Everything You write and say is always very relevant and something to trust on! (Y)

Big credits to You.
Not to mention "Patchou". The guy who made everything Rock!

This post was edited on 04-20-2007 at 04:23 PM by BlackStar.
04-20-2007 04:22 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
latinbeatz

O.P. RE: Reduce MEM
coockierevised thanks a lot.. you sure did answer all my questions. now im going to test your file :D

thanks
04-20-2007 07:25 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Thanks Cookie - Great script. Works perfectly. :D
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
04-21-2007 12:00 AM
latinbeatz