What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Feature request: Log file naming

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Feature request: Log file naming
Author: Message:
skorpan

O.P. Feature request: Log file naming
It would be really nice if it was possible to set the log naming in the settings instead of the registry. Is this possible to include in a future update?
05-30-2007 02:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Feature request: Log file naming
MsgPlus registry edits are designed for proficient users to adjust things to their personal liking and in my personal opinion standard/less-skilled users wouldn't really need to rename their chat logs so it shouldn't be included in the preferences as it will only create confusion and something like this will result in a lot of users causing accidental issues with how their chat logs are recorded.
05-30-2007 02:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
skorpan

O.P. RE: Feature request: Log file naming
Well, the standard format on the naming really could be better. Since they are sorted via the file name the order isn't chronological.
05-30-2007 03:03 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Chat logs aren't supposed to be chronological, but are supposed to be saved per user. This is how it currently is also done.

If you mean the creation of the directories (for archiving), in the preferences you can already choose between archiving based upon date/time or archiving based upon email. If you wanna tweak this further you need to alter it in the rergistry. For most users the default settings (weither it is date/time or name) are more than sufficient.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-30-2007 03:44 PM
skorpan

O.P. RE: Feature request: Log file naming
"december 1999" comes before "april 2007" in the listings (since they are sorted alphabetically). Not very user friendly.

It doesn't matter if the logs are saved ona a user or date basis, the problem itself remains.

(And yes, I have finally taken the time to edit the registry and change name on 700 log files)

This post was edited on 05-30-2007 at 04:09 PM by skorpan.
05-30-2007 03:49 PM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by skorpan
"december 1999" comes before "april 2007" in the listings (since they are sorted alphabetically). Not very user friendly.
Ok, I agree on this point - it is somewhat annoying that the month folders are arranged alphabetically (in the Chat Log Viewer) as opposed to chronologically.
05-31-2007 02:32 AM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
can't you sort by creation date?
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
05-31-2007 03:17 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Not in the Chat Log Viewer unless I'm missing something =/
05-31-2007 03:23 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
Originally posted by skorpan
Ok, I agree on this point - it is somewhat annoying that the month folders are arranged alphabetically (in the Chat Log Viewer) as opposed to chronologically.
I agree also with this point. But that is why there are those resgistry settings I suppose.

So unless Patchou changes the default very radically to the international numerical ISO format yyyy-mm-dd (which is very strange to a lot of people, especially to those who are not very computer-literate), the only option would be to alter it yourself to your own likings in the registry.

As you can't use any other sorting routine than alphabetically to list those folders.

quote:
It is possible to program it like that, but that wouldn't be a true fix though. Folders can be copied, backed up, moved, etc. All this would make sorting on creation date useless to fix this, since it still wont be the right order.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-31-2007 02:22 PM
skorpan

O.P. RE: RE: Feature request: Log file naming
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
It is possible to program it like that, but that wouldn't be a true fix though. Folders can be copied, backed up, moved, etc. All this would make sorting on creation date useless to fix this, since it still wont be the right order.

Therefore you sort them via the default value. It is quite easy to read out the month name from the file or folder name. If they match the standard format (month year) it's a very simple task to sort them correctly in the log viewer.
05-31-2007 03:46 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: