What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Microsoft Surface, the new computers?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Microsoft Surface, the new computers?
Author: Message:
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Shocked  Microsoft Surface, the new computers?
For these who have no clue what Microsoft surface is : http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

This has been around for quite a while now, getting more and more concrete every few month, and is said to be available by winter 2007.

My question is simple : do you believe that this will be the future of home computers, or do you believe that it will simply fail, and if you think it will fail, why and what would beat it?

My personal point of view : I think this is truly the future : connecting everything (including bank accounts, maps, pictures and etc.) together, on the easiest thing ever to use : a sensor screen, therefore the surface from Microsoft.

05-31-2007 06:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: Microsoft Surface, the new computers?
Saw it on tv a few days ago, exclusive interview with Bill Gates.

Was pretty cool.
quote:
Originally posted by alby
This has been around for quite a while now, getting more and more concrete every few month, and is said to be available by winter 2007.

tv lies then, they said 3 years :(.
05-31-2007 07:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
I think it'll take its place in every house, but won't replace the keyboard of the desktop pc. Of course, it has a LOT of advantages, but there'll always be the need of a keyboard. :)
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
05-31-2007 07:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
MS Surface is more like a research project, looking for new possible things and technology.

As such, I think this is another attempt to replace the paper desktop. Long time ago MS already wanted to do that, and this evolved in Windows, etc. It was then said that paper would soon dissapear.

This is kind of the same thing. I think we are very very far from such things as this*. Though, it will trigger the development of new stuff (eg: the tablet PC is also one of those things which resulted from this kind of research in the past).

For example, in MS Surface they show big flat screens which replace your physical papers and your entire desktop. This is still very far from realistic in every household. Though, what will be seen more and more are advanced touch screens with GUIs which are operated by hand gestures. So you have the GUI of what is shown with MS Surface but on 'old' screens, replacing the mouse more and more.

(*huge tablets like shown in the movies in each household to do everyday stuff.)

As for connecting everything, that would be more realistic I think. Already a hell of a lot of things are already connected to eachother (hence why identity theft is such a big issue in this era) and it will only increase.

This post was edited on 05-31-2007 at 07:28 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-31-2007 07:12 PM
Verte

Something tells me RTS games are about to get interesting!

Turn my desk into an extra screen? Yes please. Control things with hand gestures? Yes please. But, it's not the way I would have done those two things. For example, as a control surface, it's too big, and requires too much hand movement. You can't sit back and use it, you've got to lean forward, which gets old very quickly. I like the tangible representation of the file system- dragging things straight into your phone, for example, it's a natural extension to the PARC trash can.

Don't get me wrong, I think they will take off, and it would be very handy to have for some tasks. But I think for many tasks, there are better interfaces.

I make most of my money drawing manufacturing machinery, which is obviously a very visual thing. While most of my contemporaries have tablets or use Gui controls, I find it's just much faster to use a keyboard for instructions and the mouse for selecting objects. It's much faster not to have to take your eyes off what you're working on to find the button you need, and then re-focus on your work. And I'm sure there are people who do other things who would have their life so improved by this interface, but having my hands all over a huge screen means they have to be far away from the keyboard, and that's a pain.

However, I'm hanging on for digital paper. Especially if digital paper can turn my handwriting straight into mathematical ligatures and equations that I can use and combine. Mmmm...
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-31-2007 11:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
I was reading about the people who made and one of them commented he would love to link four or so tables up and play air hockey. You could add heaps of cool things like gravity walls and black holes etc.

If I had one of these I would definitely keep anyone who has sticky/greasy fingers away from it!!!
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
06-01-2007 02:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
LoochTheMan

= Su-Fi =

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Microsoft Surface, the new computers?
quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
I think it'll take its place in every house, but won't replace the keyboard of the desktop pc. Of course, it has a LOT of advantages, but there'll always be the need of a keyboard. :)

There could be a keyboard integrated into the touch screen that is brought up that allows for typing without an actual keyboard.
[Image: dane_banner_01.gif]

"That Dane Cook Is A Silly Bitch"

06-01-2007 03:04 AM
Verte

RE: RE: RE: Microsoft Surface, the new computers?
quote:
Originally posted by LoochTheMan
quote:
Originally posted by Mattike

There could be a keyboard integrated into the touch screen that is brought up that allows for typing without an actual keyboard.

Have you ever tried to touch type on a picture of a keyboard?
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
06-01-2007 05:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
I don't think it will come in every home. To be honest, that has to cost alot, also making the device slightly harder to get. (This will surely decrease, but still, time to come)

Even though I must say that looks fancy, I'd really love to have one. :)
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
06-01-2007 05:32 AM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Have you ever tried to touch type on a picture of a keyboard?
We use to use touch screens at my old job. After working there for so many years it became second nature to type in numbers/letters without looking at the screen.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
06-01-2007 06:39 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend