What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Release] Log Manager - Version 1.1.008

Pages: (7): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
[Release] Log Manager - Version 1.1.008
Author: Message:
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. [Release] Log Manager - Version 1.1.008
Five months of programming.
Way too many hours of debugging.
Listening to the feedback of a selected group of beta testers.
Waisting too many thread IDs on Help Me topics.
Bugging busy script developers for way too long with my questions.

All that just with only one purpose: a script.

I can now present you the immediate availability of my third public Messenger Plus! Live script. Hereby, I present you:
Log Manager
Version 1.1.008 FINAL

Err, what? (a.k.a. Description)
The Log Manager script was made based upon the idea of some forum members to have a way to easily encrypt, decrypt or change the password of multiple Plus! Live chat logs using the command-line functions of the Log Viewer executable, which was formerly done by using .BAT files. With a fully functional browser which lets you browse through your log folders and provides information about log files and folders, you can choose which file or folder you want to use to start an encryption action. Next, you can check the files you want to process or add more files to list, specify the password and output directory to use, choose whether you want to overwrite your old log files and finally watch your log files getting processed. Or, you may want to start a merging action and select multiple log files to merge into one single log file. Featuring a brand new multilingual support system which doesn't affect the original interface XML files, an update checker and a downloader for additional language files, Log Manager gives you full control over your log files. Just like it should be.

What's in the box? (a.k.a. Features)
The script includes...
  • ...a browser - A log files browser window which let you browse through your log files and view information about it. Additionally, you can view session information of your log files and if you specify your chat log encryption password, you can also view the sessions of encrypted log files. From this window, you can choose a folder or file to execute an encryption action on.
  • ...encryption actions - By the use of a user-friendly window, you can choose files to encrypt, decrypt or change the password of. It shows you basic information about the files, such as file size and last modification time, and lets you set the options for the process, such as your password and the output folder. To prevent you from accidentally hitting the Start button, a confirmation first must be accepted before the process starts. Then, you can see the progress of the action by the use of progress bars and in the status column of the files list.
  • ...log merging (v1.1+) - A lot of people have a main desktop computer and a secondary laptop or computer at someone else's house. When both these systems have Plus! installed and keep log files, it may be very annoying to keep those logs together. For example, you could copy all log files from one computer to your main computer, but you'd be left with 2 log files per contact. Here's where the Log Merge feature can help you.
    In Log Manager, log merging means that you select 2 or more log files and merge them into 1 log file. This can be helpful in the case of multiple systems, or if you simply want to merge all log files of one month/contact into 1 log file to use as backups for example. The log merge feature sorts all sessions by their date and in case you select encrypted files, it will try to decrypt these with a specified password before the merging starts. You can also choose to immediately encrypt the merged file if you want.
  • ...customization options - You're the boss. If you don't want the session information to be shown, you can turn it off. If you think you've found a bug, you can turn on Log Manager's script debugging option to send all actions it takes to Plus! Live's Script Debugging window. If you want to restore the default settings, you can click Restore Defaults. It's up to you what you want and what you don't want.
  • ...multilingual support - Log Manager provides translators to translate every message used in the script, without the need to rewrite the interfaces XML. All translation actions are done using the Win32 API, which is much faster and more effective. Translations are saved in an XML file, and the default English translation also contains a lot of translation notes to clarify what a specific message stands for. If the language of a user isn't included in the script, the user can try to look in the Download Languages window, which shows all available languages for Log Manager and lets him/her download the language of choice directly into Log Manager.
  • ... an updater - Every time the script starts, it'll check for new updates. If it finds a new version, it'll inform the user about this and gives him/her the ability to download and install it. All this is accomplished through a simple user interface, providing the user the new version number, the release date and the release notes. In a later version, I might want to add an option to turn the auto-updater off, but I seem to have forgot this at the moment. :P

Some eye-candy please! (a.k.a. Screenshots)
A nice GUI is very important for a script. You don't want your users get lost in the windows. Therefore, I wanted to provide an good looking, easy-to-use interface, but still with all features in one place. Check out the result, it's in the attachment! ;)

What kind of weird things can I expect in this pile of sh*t? (a.k.a. Known Issues)
The following list contains all known, not yet fixed issues in the current release. If you think you found a bug or an issue, please PM me or post a reply so I can take a look at it.
  • In the Preferences window, when you choose a language and click Apply twice, the navigation links act weird. I guess this is a Plus! issue when you call SetControlText on a right-aligned LinkControl to set it to the same text as it already contains. I don't really know how to fix this properly.
  • In the Browse window, when you select a folder with subfolders in it containing valid log files and start an encryption action, those log files aren't added to the list and may give you a "No valid log files found" error. Currently, this is a built-in limitation to prevent Messenger hanging while browsing through hundreds of files. I may want to add an option to specify how many levels deep the browser should look for files, but that depends on public request. So, if you think this should be implemented, please tell me! I make this script to fit the taste of the public, not only to fit mine. ;)
  • When you choose "Merge Logs..." from the script menu, it'll try to open 2 files which may not exist. This is a remainder of the testing period and I forgot to remove that. It'll be fixed in the next update, or you can already change it now by searching in "Log Manager.js" for:
    code:
    case "MnuMerge":
       var array = [
          PathAppend(Pref["LogsLoc"], "augustus 2007\\<snipped to avoid spam>.ple"),
          PathAppend(Pref["LogsLoc"], "augustus 2007\\<snipped to avoid spam> (2).ple")
       ];
       LoadWnd("WndMerge", LoadMerge, 0, array);
       break;
    and replace it with:
    code:
    case "MnuMerge":
       LoadWnd("WndMerge", LoadMerge);
       break;
    My apologies for this.

Gimme!!! (a.k.a. Download)
Alright, enough talk! Here's the download link! :D

» Download Log Manager 1.1.008 here!

Note for translators: If you're a translator and want your translation to be published in the official languages database, feel free to PM me your translation and I'll add it.

Any questions, suggestions and feedback are more than welcome! :)

Update #2 - 15/09/2007 19:21 CET
Log Manager is updated to version 1.1.008. The most important new feature is the log merging feature, and is described above. This update is also available through the script's update checker. I'd also like to note that a German and Spanish translation for 1.0.005 are available from the script's language downloader, and that translators are already busy to update their translations for the new version.
Update #1 - 30/08/2007 17:48 CET
An error in the Dutch translation was reported by Daryl. Any Dutch users who downloaded the script before this update was reported are recommended to download the new language file by going to Preferences > Language > Download Languages, check "Nederlands (Dutch)" and click Download. My apologies for this.

.png File Attachment: LogMgr-v10-screen.png (222.33 KB)
This file has been downloaded 2610 time(s).

This post was edited on 09-16-2007 at 08:38 AM by Matti.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
08-30-2007 02:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: [Release] Log Manager - Version 1.0.005
Looking good!
08-30-2007 02:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Daryl

– / Male / –
Nice one :clap: :bow:
Keep on going Matti!

This post was edited on 08-30-2007 at 03:05 PM by Daryl.
+Daryl®
08-30-2007 03:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Looks like you made the news ;-) Looking awesome.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-01-2007 01:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I love the script, very well done. Just 1 suggestion

[Image: attachment.php?pid=845999]

Have those clickable and it opens the log at the Session point inside that window (or in the normal Log Viewer).

:)

.jpg File Attachment: Capture.JPG (29.97 KB)
This file has been downloaded 6459 time(s).
09-01-2007 02:37 AM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Release] Log Manager - Version 1.0.005
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam

[Image]

Have those clickable and it opens the log at the Session point inside that window (or in the normal Log Viewer).

Well, I'm actually waiting for the next Messenger Plus! Live to support BrowserControls. Then, I may be able to re-create the Log Viewer and then make those links open the log viewer. Because at the moment, I rely on the command line functions of Log Viewer.exe, which only allow me to open, encrypt, decrypt or change the password of a log file, there is no option to view a log file and scroll to a specific session.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
09-01-2007 10:01 AM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Cool script :) good job ;)
...there used to be a signature here :)
09-01-2007 02:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Amazing script, amazingly done.
Good job.
09-01-2007 02:57 PM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
Nice interfaces Mattike ;o
09-02-2007 01:42 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: RE: [Release] Log Manager - Version 1.0.005
quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam

[Image]

Well, I'm actually waiting for the next Messenger Plus! Live to support BrowserControls. Then, I may be able to re-create the Log Viewer and then make those links open the log viewer. Because at the moment, I rely on the command line functions of Log Viewer.exe, which only allow me to open, encrypt, decrypt or change the password of a log file, there is no option to view a log file and scroll to a specific session.

Mmmk, well keep up the good work :D.

(Picture made with Vista Sniping tool....hot stuff :P).
09-02-2007 02:48 AM
Pages: (7): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: