What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE!

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE!
Author: Message:
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. Shocked  Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE!
Well on Tuesday, September 11, Microsoft has announced that users using MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messneger 8.0 are due to a vulnerability in video chats and webcam conversations which allows hackers to take complete control of your computer.

As a result, all users of the above mentioned Messenger versions are mandated to upgrade to WLM 8.1.0178 (for XP and Vista users), or the newest version of MSN Messenger - 7.0.0820.

Those who use MSN Messenger 7.5, which do not wish to upgrade to Windows Live Messenger 8.1, have a few options:

1) Download and install MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...-9904-9505f47bed45

EDIT: Even though it says in the system requirements of 7.0.0820 that you can run it on Windows XP, you are not supposed to do so. Windows XP has gotten into the requirements by mistake, this will be fixed. MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 will only run on OS's pre-Windows XP (with the exception of Windows 95 users which should use MSN Messenger 5.0)..all Windows XP and Vista users will have to upgrade to Windows Live Messenger. Thanks to Sunshine.

NEW! MSN Messenger is once again available as an option for those using MSNM 7.5! Thanks to Sunshine for reporting, yet again.

2)
quote:
Originally posted by mess.be
The more advanced Messer can stick to whatever version or skin he or she is using thanks to some simple hex editing. Grab an hex editor like XVI32 and search and replace the 7 in all references to your current version number to an 8 (eg. "7.5.0324" becomes "8.5.0324"). Do this with the unicode checkbox both checked and unchecked. Just be forever careful not to accept webcam session invitations from those you don't know or trust, because in theory you're still vulnerable and you can't come complaining to us nor Microsoft when things go awol [Submitted by Transient].

3)
quote:
Originally posted by tn201 from mess.be Forums, reworded
Firstly, close MSN, then right click on Messenger and select properties, and then select compatibility mode to Windows 2000.
Some people says the above works, while some says it does not. Again, do not to accept webcam session invitations from those you don't know or trust, because in theory, you're still vulnerable.

4) See http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=22557.

For more information about the Security Bulletin, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS07-054.mspx

PLEASE DO NOT POST THREADS FOR AN APPROPRIATE SOLUTION.

Messenger Plus! and this site is not affiliated in any way with Microsoft Corporation.

This post was edited on 09-26-2007 at 08:14 PM by Nagamasa.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6567 days, 2 hours, 57 minutes, 42 seconds ago.

09-14-2007 12:43 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
imovane

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE!
I have tried to install 7.0, it doesn't work. Is it just me or what?
09-14-2007 10:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by imovane
I have tried to install 7.0, it doesn't work.
What is exactly the problem? Got any messages/errors when installing? Did the install not work? Or can't you run MSN after install? Or can't you sing-in? What version of Windows are you using?

Can't help you without enough info.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
09-14-2007 12:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
nikosATH

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by mess.be
2) The more advanced Messer can stick to whatever version or skin he or she is using thanks to some simple hex editing. Grab an hex editor like XVI32 and search and replace the 7 in all references to your current version number to an 8 (eg. "7.5.0324" becomes "8.5.0324"). Do this with the unicode checkbox both checked and unchecked. Just be forever careful not to accept webcam session invitations from those you don't know or trust, because in theory you're still vulnerable and you can't come complaining to us nor Microsoft when things go awol [Submitted by Transient].

I love you so much for this!!!!!!!
I did a bit of editing as you describe and everything works 100% normally!
I could marry you right now :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

BTW going "back" to 7.0 isn't of much use because you still can't use the custom names created by plus!

This post was edited on 09-14-2007 at 02:15 PM by nikosATH.
09-14-2007 02:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
imovane

RE: RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE!
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by imovane
I have tried to install 7.0, it doesn't work.
What is exactly the problem? Got any messages/errors when installing? Did the install not work? Or can't you run MSN after install? Or can't you sing-in? What version of Windows are you using?

Can't help you without enough info.

7.5 work fine til yesterday. I got logged out and when I tried to log back in, it said that I couldn't cuz the msnversion was to old. Havn't got any errors while installing 7.0, except for the same message: to old.
I'm using Windows Vista, and my boyfriend's computers have Windows 2000 and Windows Vista, he got the same message.
09-14-2007 02:23 PM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
As far as i am aware MSN Messenger 7.5 has been phased out and people are now being FORCED to upgrade to Windows Live Messenger 8.1 or live without messenger, i only know of a MSN Messenger 7.0 work around, but then again i could be wrong.
...there used to be a signature here :)
09-14-2007 03:05 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I've been receiving so many emails about this, people really don't want to upgrade. Mainly because of performance issues and the design.
09-14-2007 06:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I've been receiving so many emails about this, people really don't want to upgrade. Mainly because of performance issues and the design.

Very much so, they've made a terrible decision but if enough people complain about this, they will reverse it and hopefully release a QFE patch instead of the forced update :).
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
09-14-2007 06:59 PM
alegator

I downloaded and installed  MSN Messenger v7.0.0820  as you suggest but I get the same forced upgrade message when trying to connect as with v7.5. All I know that can be done so far si run v7.5 in Win2000 compatibility mode (which I'm doing succesfully). So, is it confirmed that Microsoft enables v7.0.0820 to connect? Because as I said I can't.
09-15-2007 03:18 AM
texaskitty

Prrr..fect

hi Nagamasa!
can you tell me (I know maybe a dummy question) of the instruction you put
Grab an hex editor like XVI32 and search and replace the 7 in all references to your current version number to an 8 (eg. "7.5.0324" becomes "8.5.0324")
Can you more explicit? I would really appreciate your help
Tx Kitty
09-15-2007 06:21 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: