What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Chat Log Encryption Problem

Chat Log Encryption Problem
Author: Message:
tehblizz

O.P. Chat Log Encryption Problem
Hello all, how are you doing today? My problem is this:

On my previous pc I had msn messenger 7.5 and Messenger Plus 3 installed. Since it was a shared computer I decided to put a password on my chat logs to enhance privacy. When I decided to buy a new pc I backed up all of my chat logs (and I mean alot, from 2002 to 2007) but I forgot to de-crypt them and take the password off.
Now that I am on my new pc I can't read my old chat logs anymore because they are still encrypted (its a strange format) and so if I open them up in word/notepad all I can see are strange letters and characters. Is there any way for me to de-crypt my chat logs?

Thank you for you time,

Francesco
11-30-2007 10:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Chat Log Encryption Problem
The only way is to decrypt them with the password. Without the correct password your logs are lost I'm afraid (it would defeat the pupose of encryption if there was a way to decrypt them ithout a password). There realy is no other way, sorry.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-30-2007 10:59 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
tehblizz

O.P. RE: RE: Chat Log Encryption Problem
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The only way is to decrypt them with the password. Without the correct password your logs are lost I'm afraid (it would defeat the pupose of encryption if there was a way to decrypt them ithout a password). There realy is no other way, sorry.
I know the password, that isn't the problem. The problem is that windows doesn't recognize the file format at all, and so I can't decrypt them because all I can do is open them with word or notepad..

11-30-2007 11:04 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Ah, if you know the password you can open them up.

But have you (re)installed Messenger Plus!?
(don't just copy programs, many will fail to work, you need to reinstall them).

The format is only reconizeable by Messenger Plus!. Notepad, MS Word, etc don't know the format (because it isn't just simply text anymore as you have seen). So you must open them up using Messenger Plus!.

eg: A Word document isn't reconized by notepad either. You need Word for that. The same goes for encrypted logs (or any other format associated with a specific program).

This post was edited on 11-30-2007 at 11:55 AM by CookieRevised.
11-30-2007 11:41 AM
tehblizz

O.P. RE: RE: Chat Log Encryption Problem
quote:

The format is only reconizeable by Messenger Plus!. Notepad, MS Word, etc don't know the format (because it isn't just simply text anymore as you have seen). So you must open them up using Messenger Plus!.

eg: A Word document isn't reconized by notepad either. You need Word for that. The same goes for encrypted logs (or any other format associated with a specific program).
Well is the messenger plus Live ok even though I had encrypted them with the version 3 and msn messenger 7.5?
11-30-2007 11:53 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by tehblizz
quote:

Well is the messenger plus Live ok even though I had encrypted them with the version 3 and msn messenger 7.5?
yes, it should.

Alternativly you can try to use this (a tool to decrypt your Plus!3 logs with your password - note: this only works for Plus!3 logs).

If you have Plus! installed and you need a lot of logs to be decrypted, you can use this (a batch file to automate the process).

This post was edited on 11-30-2007 at 11:56 AM by CookieRevised.
11-30-2007 11:55 AM
tehblizz

O.P. RE: Chat Log Encryption Problem
Ok let me try this out, hopefully it will work
it work fine. Thank you so much for your help :)  Take care
11-30-2007 12:02 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version