What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Help! Live Messenger won't work! "Side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Help! Live Messenger won't work! "Side-by-side configuration is incorrect"
Author: Message:
nate_299

O.P. Huh?  Help! Live Messenger won't work! "Side-by-side configuration is incorrect"
Hi there.
When I turned on my computer today, the computer drew ablank for the first couple of tries (this may have to do with live messenger).
Eventually, it worked. I attempted to start window's live messenger and this message came up:

"There was a problem with this installation. Windows Live Suite was not installed.

System error details
Code: 0x800736b1
Description: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

So after this, i started a virus scan (which is still not finished), and I uninstalled Windows Live Messenger. I downloaded another Windows Live Installer to try reinstalling it.. didn't work, same message popped up AGAIN.
I have no clue as what to do in order to get my MSN back! =[
I'm guessing this is because of a virus (computer is STILL scanning).

Any help will be appreciated! Please and thanks,

Nathan
12-07-2007 02:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
kielfalk

RE: Help! Live Messenger won't work! "Side-by-side configuration is incorrect"
i have the exact same problem for on my windows vista hp laptop but works fine on xp computer. i would love for someone to help me please thanks
01-06-2008 04:55 AM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Based on information i've gathered from the internet, this issue appears to only affect Windows Vista, as mentioned by kielfalk.  The issue appears to be related with certain applications being compiled with Visual Studio 2008, however, that part isnt as certain.

Try this:

A lot of people seem to say the Redistributable package mentioned above solved their problem.
01-06-2008 05:01 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
krazydude91

help..im on windows xp and im still getting this problem...plz reply bak or email me krazy_dude91@hotmail.co.uk
05-26-2008 03:53 PM
irfannn

i have vista home premium but ı downloaded this part but messenger still dosent work please help me
09-18-2009 07:39 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Try this:
  • Download and Install
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86 - For 32 Bit Systems).
  • See if the error is still reproduced.  If so, post here and i'll try and find something else.

A lot of people seem to say the Redistributable package mentioned above solved their problem.
That post, and thus package link is old.

If you want to install the "Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package", you should instead install the updated SP1 versions.

For 32-bit systems:
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) - Service Pack 1
and
Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

For 64-bit systems:
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) - Service Pack 1
and
Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

Read the instructions on the pages, before downloading and installing. Also check if there are newer versions available (eg: Visual C++ 2011 redist or SP1 or SP2 or ...) .

Make sure you download and install the correct version for your system (32-bit vs. 64-bit)

Do not forget to update your entire system either! Install all hotfixes and patches. This is extremely important! If you don't let Windows check automatically each week for new updates, you should go to http://www.windowsupdate.com/ yourself.

Also remember to re-download and re-install the latest version of Windows Live Messenger, this is important too.

------------------------------------------------------------

If the above does not work then report your issue to Windows Live Support with as much details as possible:
http://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlm...&ct=eformts&scrx=1

Follow the next steps in case you end up in the help pages (http://help.live.com) after using the support link:
  1. Pick your Windows Live Messenger version.
  2. Click on one of the topics in the left pane.
  3. Click on the "Get more help" link in the lower-right corner.
  4. Click on the "Get support" link.
  5. Fill everything in with as much details as possible in the form.

;)

This post was edited on 02-24-2011 at 04:55 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-07-2009 04:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Krystal

Hello everyone,
Today has been frustrating for me because last night my Windows Live Messenger was working just fine then I come on today and I recieve this error.

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
The application has failed to start because it's side by side configuration is incorrect please see the appllication event log for more details.

I have tried to uninstall then reinstall the 2011 version of windows but it still won't work. I use windows to chat on facebook and would really like if someone could help me. It was working fine yesterday and poof its not working. I am using a Vista so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. This is my only computer and I'm the only one whoever uses it. :@

This post was edited on 02-14-2011 at 02:19 AM by Krystal.
02-14-2011 02:18 AM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
Have you tried the steps as described above?
02-14-2011 03:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
diws143

hello!i have the same problem too!!! and i tried everything all the steps that you is mention above but it doesnt work!.. please please please HELP ME....
02-24-2011 03:37 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by diws143
hello!i have the same problem too!!! and i tried everything all the steps that you is mention above but it doesnt work!.. please please please HELP ME....

There seems to be no easy fix for this yet... the best advice I could give at this point is to do a complete format of the hard drive, reinstall your (functional) version of Windows, let it update completely and then install Windows Live Messenger, not using any third-party programs before then.
02-24-2011 05:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: