What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
[suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
Author: Message:
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
He's not "wrong", as I actually agree with him. He just omitted your menuItem point :p
[Image: rdmazu.php]
12-13-2007 11:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
He's not "wrong", as I actually agree with him. He just omitted your menuItem point :p
Yes, I didn't notice that users apparently don't get a warning message when they first enable the Messenger Lock via the Plus! Menu.

So what should be done is to add a notice on how to unlock Messenger again to the window that pops up when the user locks Messenger for the first time via the hot-key, and there should be a similar warning message when the user locks Messenger via the Menu item.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
12-13-2007 11:32 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
Yes, I didn't notice that users apparently don't get a warning message when they first enable the Messenger Lock via the Plus! Menu.
:dodgy:

So that is what you wanted, ahmetgns? Why didn't you said that? :p

yes, I agree

(but not with such a 2nd window... it should be 1 popup (when the user presses the shortcut for the first time)

I hate long explainations :dodgy:... wait... /me looks around.... never mind...

This post was edited on 12-14-2007 at 12:10 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-14-2007 12:08 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
I'm glad we all know what is being talked here anymore.

Cookie, I didn't express the special case with Plus! menu item that it won't popup any window, because I believe (d) the forum regulars (who would support this suggestion) will know that(warmth and john-t knew these I think, because they didn't say any wrong thing about this feature, congratulations guys)

But I still can't agree with the idea of only one popup in which "how they can unlock it" being explained (when user presses the shortcut) because if user didn't want to lock messenger really while pressing that hotkey and will "Remove Shortcut", why would that pop-up say to him how he will unlock it like "If you press "Lock Messenger", be advised in advance that you can unlock it with blahblah" :s (I don't prefer two consecutive pop-ups as well but ...)

:o there is /lock command also, but I don't think newbies can find and use it for their first lock, ermm, still they may.

12-14-2007 02:34 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
But I still can't agree with the idea of only one popup in which "how they can unlock it" being explained (when user presses the shortcut) because if user didn't want to lock messenger really while pressing that hotkey and will "Remove Shortcut", why would that pop-up say to him how he will unlock it like "If you press "Lock Messenger", be advised in advance that you can unlock it with blahblah"  (I don't prefer two consecutive pop-ups as well but ...)
Where's the problem with telling them how to unlock Messenger in the same popup? This bit of extra information wouldn't hurt anyone. The user can still remove the shortcut and in any case, he won't see that window again.

Example:
"The key combination you just pressed, which works from any application, is set to lock and hide all Messenger windows.
Once you have done so, you will have to [insert instructions here] to unhide them again.
If you don't want to lock Messenger, click "Remove Shortcut" below and the global hotkey will be disabled in Messenger Plus!."

What could be done aswell, is to show a tooltip when a user uses the Messenger Lock feature for the first time, telling him what happened and how to unlock and unhide Messenger again.
I guess this would be quite useful, especially since Messenger Plus! changes the system tray icon by default.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=873640]

And on a side note:
quote:
Cookie, you misunderstood my point in the first place but I am not surprised because this is not the first!
The problem is that you don't say what you mean in a understandable and clear way, which leads to misunderstandings and annoyance.
I understood your point only after reading through your posts several times, and you can't expect others to have as much patience or time until they figure out what you want to tell them. :p
(I'm not trying to start a discussion here, just some general advice, e.g. you should definitely try to use shorter sentences, better grammar.)

.gif File Attachment: systray-tooltip.gif (3.68 KB)
This file has been downloaded 392 time(s).
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
12-14-2007 05:32 PM
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The point of the lock feature is that other people do not know that messenger is running, especially if you only use a shortcut to unlock it. And also the reason why the option "you need to hold ctrl to unlock" is there. Making such a dialog makes all these options useless.

If your teacher starts clicking on each icon and this popup turns up to tell him the proper shortcut to unlock it, then what is the point of the lock feature (other than setting a password)?

Remember, the lock feature comes from two old features: Boss Protection (which hide the windows, but didn't locked anything) and Messenger Lock (which locked messenger with a password, but didn't hide anything).

The new Lock Messenger feature combined these two. When the user will be presented with such dialog box popping up again, you actually revert back to how it was in Plus!3: simply hiding the window of Messenger, but otherwise plain visible to the teacher, you actually explain it to him, to what he must do to catch the pupil in the act.

quote:
But think again and try to remember the time when you first locked messenger.
By that time I already read the options in the preference panel. Before using any feature the user should read what those features are and how they (roughly) work....  You don't jump into a race car without knowing how to drive, stop, and turn the engine back off either....

As for being enabled by default, yes, in my humble opinion it should be disabled by default (just to prevent people to jump into the race car, before putting on their racing gloves).

Try telling a newbie that :)
No longer here.
12-14-2007 05:47 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I like the tooltip idea a lot.
[Image: jumbled.png]
12-14-2007 05:48 PM
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
:P tool tip idea rocks!!!
@warmth - Beta Testing a life!
Official Nokia (former Ovi) Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011)
12-14-2007 07:09 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
quote:
Originally posted by warmth
:P tool tip idea rocks!!!
Yeah, it is obviously better than mine.
12-14-2007 07:21 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Cookie, I didn't express the special case with Plus! menu item that it won't popup any window, because I believe (d) the forum regulars (who would support this suggestion) will know that(warmth and john-t knew these I think, because they didn't say any wrong thing about this feature, congratulations guys)
Eermm, what?

Are you now saying that you didn't meant this dialog to pop up when the Plus! menu item "lock messenger" is choosen?:
quote:
I didn't express the special case with Plus! menu item that it won't popup any window, because...

----------

PS: I am a forum regular too btw. And i's not because an idea is not supported that you aren't a forum regular. Second, agreeing (or not) to something does not automatically mean you understand what is being said either. Third, if people on the forum ask for more clarification, it is normally given....

This post was edited on 12-14-2007 at 08:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-14-2007 08:38 PM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: