What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » i have made a new email address,how do i copy the contacts of my existing email id?

i have made a new email address,how do i copy the contacts of my existing email id?
Author: Message:
sarmadmalik

O.P. i have made a new email address,how do i copy the contacts of my existing email id?
i have too many contacts and it is impossible to copy them manually.....:P
07-05-2008 02:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
RE: i have made a new email address,how do i copy the contacts of my existing email id?
Ok, open up WLM, then go Contacts > Save instant messaging contacts, save to a place somewhere, then on your new account go Contacts > Import instant messaging contacts, and choose the file that you saved with your previous account.

Hope this helps :)
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
07-05-2008 02:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: i have made a new email address,how do i copy the contacts of my existing email
quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
Ok, open up WLM, then go Contacts > Save instant messaging contacts, save to a place somewhere, then on your new account go Contacts > Import instant messaging contacts, and choose the file that you saved with your previous account.

Hope this helps :)
sarmadmalik, please do not follow that advise...

(sorry Th3rmal :$)

Creating new accounts like that is not a proper way of doing things and you will bugger your contacts without any need!! Not to mention you will loose all your settings and other data connected to that account.

MS has provided a far easier and far less troublesome way to switch accounts, read below:

---------------------

first of all,

You do not need to create a new account in some cases. You should always check first if you can change your existing account.

For this:
  1. go to http://account.live.com/ using Microsoft Internet Explorer
  2. Sign in with your old email/windows live id
  3. Then, in the summery page, on top, you'll see next to your email "Change", click this and you'll come to a page where you can enter the new email you want.
  4. Select "New Windows Live ID" if you want another @hotmail address. (this is new; this wasn't possible before)
  5. Select "Use your own existing email" if you have another existing new email address, other than a by MS provided address.

After 48 hours, all your settings should have been ported to the new Windows Live ID automatically. But do note that during this transition you could experience some sign in problems.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=892323]

-------

But since you have already created a new email, I suggest to first close/remove this again. Because you shouldn't have create a new one manually. If you don't remove it again, you can't use it to port all your settings to, since it already eixsts and thus "isn't available" anymore.

After the new email account is gone again (this can take a few days), you can sign in with your old one and change it over to the new one as I described above.

All contacts, personal info, settings, connected servives, etc will simply be copied over. This mean your contacts wont notice anything either and don't need to go thru all the trouble of removing your old account and adding your new one in their contact lists.

-------

Also remember that if you do close an account, the best thing to do first is deleting all the contacts from the Messenger contact list and the Hotmail contact lists.

Never forget to do that, or your contacts will end up with your dead Windows Live ID in their contact list or reverse list which can't be fully deleted.

;)

This post was edited on 11-15-2010 at 10:30 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-05-2008 02:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
RE: i have made a new email address,how do i copy the contacts of my existing email id?
Damn
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
07-05-2008 02:26 PM
NeSsiKa

i don't see the Change next to your email
07-10-2008 01:20 AM
P.O. Box

If you already have a hotmail account (which I have) it is not possible to change it, only if you have a non-hotmail or non-live email address you see the link CHANGE :(

I do have an old hotmail.com that I need to change into a live.com but I do not want  my contacts to receive a notice to add me again to their Live Messenger list (also because some of them are blocked but still listed so I can keep track of their chat logs and remember why I blocked them :banh:)
What I need is:
  • * Create new Live.com account
    * Transfer all my contacts to the new one, blocked cnts. as well
    * Keep possibly chat logs linked to contacts
    * Avoid any notice that I switched account
Is all this possible?
08-29-2008 11:41 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Wow Cookie, I actually didn't know that. I'll stop recommending the way first suggested by Th3rmal.

I actually tried to change myself, as Gmail supports +-signs in the e-mail address, I could have made a vilkku+msn at gmail dot com address, but sadly you aren't allowed to use +-signs in your WLid address.
Shame really, could have put my address everywhere, and just filter all mails sent to vilkku+msn directly to spambox.
[Image: signature.php]
08-30-2008 08:08 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Sign in with your old email/windows live id

I thought you could only "Change" if the account was initially NOT a hotmail email?

edit:

quote:
Select "New Windows Live ID" if you want another @hotmail address. (this is new; this wasn't possible before)

oh shii--

This post was edited on 08-30-2008 at 03:23 PM by prashker.
08-30-2008 08:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
P.O. Box

RE: RE: i have made a new email address,how do i copy the contacts of my existing email id?
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam

I thought you could only "Change" if the account was initially NOT a hotmail email?

That is what I just said in my post ;)
We should find a different solution....
08-30-2008 09:54 AM
P.O. Box

UP! Nobody has a solution yet?
Change account---->port messenger cnts.----> no notice to contacts about new account....
09-02-2008 02:55 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: