What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How to increase font size while viewing on the Log Viewer?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
How to increase font size while viewing on the Log Viewer?
Author: Message:
adobeee

O.P. How to increase font size while viewing on the Log Viewer?
I use the log viewer, but the text is insanely small. Does anyone know how to make the words bigger on the Log Viewer? :$
08-27-2008 03:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: How to increase font size while viewing on the Log Viewer?
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
Control and -/= should work.
If not

quote:
quote:
Open Internet Explorer

Tools -> Text Size -> Medium

(or if it's Internet Explorer 7....Page -> Text Size -> Medium)

PS: ^^^ The above will most likely work, but if not hold Control and Scroll Up with your Mouse. Should increase the font size.

or quite possibly if everything else fails

quote:
Originally posted by dazzdoc1
this happened to me to.
if you are using IE7
go to
Internet Options>Advanced>Reset.
This is the way i was able to fix it

Yes this is options in Internet Explorer, but the log viewer uses Internet Explorer :)

Obey CookieRevised

This post was edited on 08-28-2008 at 04:48 AM by prashker.
08-27-2008 05:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Too many people are having this issue :/

As for the suggestions to use <CTRL><+>, <CTRL><->, or holding <CONTROL> and use the scrollbutton on your mouse:

This appears to no longer work from within the Plus! Log Viewer (since a while). Either something has changed in Messenger Plus! or either something has changed in some update to the MSIE object (maybe the change from MSIE6 to MSIE7).

This post was edited on 08-28-2008 at 03:06 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-27-2008 11:17 PM
adobeee

O.P. RE: How to increase font size while viewing on the Log Viewer?
How do I open the chat views with internet explorer?

My chat log files are passworded.

Whenever I right click the files and load it with internet explorer, it just asks me to save the same file (passworded chat log) on to my computer.

08-28-2008 01:17 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
No need to open the logs in Internet Explorer, just open Internet Explorer and do what was asked.

THEN open the Log Viewer and it should work.
08-28-2008 01:24 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
ok, I did some research as this issue crops up too much....

--

Something very important to note in all this is that the keboard shortcuts <CTRL><+>/<-> or <CONTROL><MSCROLL> do something completely different than the MSIE menu option "View > Text Size"...

<CTRL><+>/<-> is for zooming in and out, aka magnification, while the menu option "View > Text Size" is for setting the actual default font size, aka text zoom. In the latter case, the page itself will not be zoomed in or out, only the actual font size will be increased/decreased.

So, although it appears that using <CTRL><+>/<-> will enlarge or shrink the text size, it actually does not, it zooms the entire window, including images and other objects.

In other words, it is also easy to mess these two settings up by mixing them in the wrong way in MSIE. To set them back to normal again you either need to:

1) Set the menu option "View > Text Size" to "Normal/Default".
2) Then use the magnification feature (<CTRL><+>, <CTRL><-> or <CTRL><MSCROLL>) until the window (and thus the visible text size) is back to a normal size. Do this with a normal webpage which normally should use the default text size (eg: google.com).

OR

1) Go to the menu Tools > Options > Advanced > Settings
2) Under the Accessibility options, enable the following three options:
   -Reset text size to medium for new windows and tabs. (this is the important one for the Chat Log Viewer)
   -Reset text size to medium while zooming.
   -Reset zoom level to 100% for new windows and tabs.

Note, due to some bugs in MSIE7, it is possible that after doing all this you can't select the default text size anymore from the "View > Text Size" menu. To fix this you have to press <CTRL><+> once and then once on <CTRL><->. Another bug causes the above settings not to be applied properly until you close and reopen MSIE again. Simply closing MSIE will not apply all the settings in certain situations; you need to explicitly reopen MSIE so that a new page can be rendered.

--

So, I like to repeat and stress again that there is a big difference between the magnification setting (<CTRL><+>/<-> or <CTRL><MSCROLL>) and the text zoom setting (View > Text Size).

--

Now, it is actually the MSIE menu option "View > Text Size" which influences what is seen in the Plus! Log Viewer window, _not_ the magnification level which can set with <CTRL><+>/<->!
So I like to ask to everybody to stop suggesting this, it wont even work from inside the Plus! Log Viewer anyways ;)

For those who have trouble with the text size in the log viewer and who have Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, try the following instructions to reset everything back to normal:
  1. Close the Plus! Log Viewer window
  2. Open Microsoft Internet Explorer.
  3. Go to the menu: Tools > Options > Advanced > Settings
  4. Under the Accessibility options, enable the following three options:
    • Reset text size to medium for new windows and tabs.
    • Reset text size to medium while zooming.
    • Reset zoom level to 100% for new windows and tabs.
  5. Apply the new settings and close the option dialog.
  6. Click in the Internet Explorer window and press <CTRL><+> once and then once on <CTRL><->.
    Or scroll one time up and one time down with the scrollbutton of your mouse while holding <CTRL>.
  7. Close all Microsoft Internet Explorer windows.
  8. Open Microsoft Internet Explorer again, and open a webpage.
  9. Close Microsoft Internet Explorer again.
  10. Open the Plus! Log Viewer window, and open a chat log.
    It should now display everything with the default text size again.
    And Internet Explorer should also display everything with the default text size and magnification level again.

Note 1:
Do not use the reset button in Internet Explorer's Advanced settings tab. This will also influence security settings which you might not want to alter! Only use the reset button as a last resort.

Note 2:
There is another factor in all this and that are some registry settings concearning the default font sizes in Internet Explorer. If some values are set, the user can not use the "View > Text Size" menu (eg: Default_IEFontSize, Default_IEFontSizePrivate), the same when some restrictions are applied in the Policies registry key.

And there might be some registry key setting which prevents MSIE object windows to be opened with a too small or too large font size (eg: in my case, even if I select the smallest text size in MSIE, the Plus! Log Viewer will still show the font in the normal size. The opposite is not true in my case; when I set the text size to large, the Plus! Log Viewer will show a larger font).

So, if any of these cases are present, you will most likely never experience this issue of a too small or too big text size in the Pus! Log Viewer window, even if you don't have the above accessibility options in MSIE checked, or even if you have a smaller/larger text size selected in the MSIE menu "View > Text Size".

Note 3:
The same may apply in a similar way to Internet Explorer 6. Although it has some different Accessibility options. I can't test with Internet Explorer 6 at this moment, sorry.

This post was edited on 08-28-2008 at 03:47 AM by CookieRevised.
08-28-2008 03:07 AM
adobeee

I use Vista. Will it work this way?

I can't open up the chat logs in IE7 as they are passworded. When I open it with IE (by right clicking the chat logs), it prompts for a password. I enter it, then it just asks me to save the same file on to my desktop.

=\

This post was edited on 08-28-2008 at 04:50 AM by adobeee.
08-28-2008 04:46 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Yes
08-28-2008 04:48 AM
adobeee

It does not seem to be working.

Is there any way to take off the password?
08-28-2008 05:20 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
As said before, you do not need to open any log file in Internet Explorer.

Instead, follow the given instructions to try to fix the font size problem.

-------

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by piemanpm
Solved. Upgraded my OS to vista ultimate 64 and it works fine now :)
Very nice to hear. But you didn't had to explicitly upgrade to solve this though. The upgrade process simply also reset all the (maybe wrong) settings you had, like explain above ;)

This post was edited on 08-28-2008 at 07:21 AM by CookieRevised.
08-28-2008 05:33 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: