What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Major issues with 2009, WLM bugs make webcams useless

Major issues with 2009, WLM bugs make webcams useless
Author: Message:
Rikupsoni

O.P. Shocked  Major issues with 2009, WLM bugs make webcams useless
So downloaded the 2009 release version today for Windows XP (Finnish language, if that makes it any different).

But noticed some major bugs, I'm not able to use webcam. From the conversation window, go to video menu and try to click "show webcam" or "show person's webcam" (1) but the text are just in grey and I'm not able to click them.

It's the same if I click the webcam icon next to my avatar. In grey. The other person doesn't even have the cam icon.

From main WLM window I can click for "Show person's webcam" and then choose from contact list (2) but show mine is still grey and not usable. Weird that it works there?

So impossible to use webcam.  There's still the video call option which is clickable, it works but it's not a very nice choice for me. And, I can't see my own cam footage, it just shows that I don't have cam on. My friend still could see that my camera was working, tested this twice and saw someone else reporting this bug.

Then I asked a friend with the old 2008 version to invite me to open my webcam, it worked just like before. Except my webcam was mirrored? It was weird that you couldn't read text and the monitor was on left side when in reality it's on right side.

I asked my friends with the new version, all had the same problem.

It's really shameful that such major issue got past the beta phase. (N) If someone has contacts to WLM developer team or Plus! can fix it, workaround or some info, please post.

Here's an image to illustrate.
http://www.saunalahti.fi/rikupro/ckedup%20wlm.jpg

Can someone test this with different language versions?

This post was edited on 01-09-2009 at 12:54 PM by Rikupsoni.
01-08-2009 06:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Rikupsoni

O.P. RE: Major issues with 2009, WLM bugs make webcams useless
And if re-installing older WLM versions doesn't work, the only option is to move to XP default Windows Messenger.. sad times. But it's ok after changing some sounds, atleast all features work.. :dodgy:

This post was edited on 01-08-2009 at 10:41 PM by Rikupsoni.
01-08-2009 10:40 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Major issues with 2009, WLM bugs make webcams useless
quote:
Originally posted by Rikupsoni
Then I asked a friend with the old 2008 version to invite me to open my webcam, it worked just like before. Except my webcam was mirrored? It was weird that you couldn't read text and the monitor was on left side when in reality it's on right side.
I also had the mirrored problem when using WLM 2009. My contact said the writing was normal, so it just appears mirrored to me, not them.

quote:
Originally posted by Rikupsoni
the only option is to move to XP default Windows Messenger
Wrong ;). There are many other previous working versions of Messenger, such as Windows Live Messenger 8.5 which I am using at the moment. I'd recommend downgrading to that, as I did.

As for the webcam problem, not sure why its doing that. Have you tried going to Tools > Audio and Video setup ? Go through it, make sure you select your webcam as the source.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
01-08-2009 10:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Rikupsoni

O.P. RE: RE: Major issues with 2009, WLM bugs make webcams useless
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4

As for the webcam problem, not sure why its doing that. Have you tried going to Tools > Audio and Video setup ? Go through it, make sure you select your webcam as the source.
Yeah, I looked through it. Earlier versions didn't have the webcam input list, so weird that now we have to choose. It had Default - Live! Cam Video IM (VFW) and IM #4 (that's the USB port I put it in). Only the #4 showed footage in the menu, but saving and trying again didn't make any difference - buttons won't work.. Maybe it's even more complicated in other than English-language versions if they didn't look for that many bugs.. But you got to say, the whole webcam feature is very buggy in the new version. Not sure why it had to be changed so much ^o)

And yeah, I'll probably downgrade it then soon.

This post was edited on 01-08-2009 at 11:03 PM by Rikupsoni.
01-08-2009 11:02 PM
Rikupsoni

Now I've noticed something new about it.

I can request one particular friend to open his webcam, from the options menu that line is now in black and clickable, but to "show my webcam" isn't still working.

He's the only person who has a webcam icon next to his avatar.  Coincidence? Probably not, but something is bugging as others do not  even have the icon. It can't be up to me that it doesn't show the webcam icon with most friends..

EDIT: I also heard someone had the same problem with sending files, the "Send file" line is in grey and not clickable, as is the case with this.

This post was edited on 01-09-2009 at 01:26 PM by Rikupsoni.
01-09-2009 12:50 PM
Rikupsoni

It seems to be something with the .NET Windows Live network.

Happened me earlier as well: I got logged off due to some usual MSN network problems, when I log in again the webcam functions work properly. Next time I run WLM it may be not, for some people I can request to show their cam only.

Perhaps they are trying to fix it then..
01-19-2009 05:40 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: