What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Sugestion - Thumbnail Preview

Sugestion - Thumbnail Preview
Author: Message:
MaikelS

O.P. Sugestion - Thumbnail Preview
Hi, first, thanks Patchou for your great work.

Oh, sorry for my bad english.

I was wondering why Plus! doesnt let us to see the thumbnail of the conversations that are grouped in the taskbar, when we mouse it over. In Windows Vista i think that it is a limitation of the OS, but in Windows 7 I saw an interesting feature. When Internet Explorer 8 is open with more than 1 tab, and we mouse over it in the new taskbar, when can see all the tabs preview in the taskbar.
This could be a new addition to Plus! if Patchou tries to use the same API that IE8 uses, so we can see the preview of all the conversations when we mouse over the conversation in the taskbar.

I hope that this can be added in the end of this beta, if no, in the next version of Plus!

Thank you. =]
01-11-2009 02:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Drag0nR3b0rn

RE: Sugestion - Thumbnail Preview
Actually I also was about to write about this option - thought AFAIK it isn't possible for now due to technical reasons described here. Now I don't know the full technical details as to why this doesn't work, but I can guess that in the early vista days it wasn't worth it to dig into the DWM API (which could be lacking - as any, especially early - microsoft APIs). But now with Windows 7 around the corner, and the sound usability improvement it could provide if the tabbed conversations would work like expected - and more, with the new taskbar previews API, perhaps it can be worth to look into this once more.

Just to elaborate on the request - for those who don't run/know about Win7, here are some pictures that explain it:

IE8, with a few open tabs, when moving the mouse over the taskbar
[Image: win7_ie_tabs.jpg]

WLM2009+MLP4.79, tabbed chats disabled
[Image: win7_wlm_notabs.jpg]

And finally, WLM2009+MLP4.79, tabbed chats enabled
[Image: win7_wlm_tabs.jpg]

Now, in the best case (the requested) scenario the second and the third images should look exactly the same. Also an additional benefit of fixing it could be that tabbed windows previews will start appearing in the Flip3D interface, and in the vista taskbar previews.

Hope this adds a bit to the discussion, and clarifies this a bit.
01-11-2009 04:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: