What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » windows live messenger 2009, XP. can't sign in, no error message

windows live messenger 2009, XP. can't sign in, no error message
Author: Message:
katizzler

O.P. windows live messenger 2009, XP. can't sign in, no error message
hey there, i've checked out a lot of things on the net so far, and have come back with nothing. on my boyfriends computer, he's never been able to log in to the new windows live messenger 2009. neither have i, or my sister, or anyone else. however, WINDOWS messenger, that ancient old bat, works just flawlessly.

the weird thing is, windows live messenger 2009 works JUST FINE on the "guest" account, but not on my boyfriends regular user account. we were having this problem awhile back too, and he has since done a complete reformat, and it's still not working.

SOMETIMES when anyone tries to log in, it will give an error message, 80048820e. but most of the time, when anyone tries to log in, we get the little men twirling or whatever it does these days, and then just nothing. no error message, no sound. and other times, we get this:

[Image: Windows%20Live%20Communications%20Platfo...0close.jpg]

if i open messenger and go Tools>Options>Connections tab, it says something along the lines of

"You are NOT connected to the .NET messenger service.

however, if i go to the advanced tab, and do the TCP, and HTTP tests, it says,

"Success, you can connect to the Windows Live Messenger Service."

i've tried verifying the date and time
i've tried turning off all firewalls
i've tried uninstalling, deleting Program Files, and reinstalling
we've ever reformatted, and are STILL having this problem.

does anybody know of anything that will help? is this a widespread problem? if anyone has anything else for me to try, or links to read that i may not have come across yet, please let me know, my boyfriend is getting very frustrated, as WINDOWS messenger doesn't allow file transfer anymore.

thanks a bunch!
01-19-2010 03:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
katizzler

O.P. RE: windows live messenger 2009, XP. can't sign in, no error message
for the record, this VERY annoying problem was solved by removing Nvidia Network Access Manager. it had a VERY hidden firewall, that blocked access to a lot of things.

this was the LAST thing i thought it would be; i tried every single fix i found on the net, and not one of them worked. i tried turning off utorrent, uninstalling avg internet security (because i thought it's built-in firewall was what was doing it) but NOPE, as soon as i had avg uninstalled, in the windows security notifications that pop up, it said "ActiveArmor firewall is turned on." after that, all it took was a bit of googling to figure out what this was, problem solved!
01-19-2010 11:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: