What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Minor Webcam problem?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Minor Webcam problem?
Author: Message:
Dansongier

O.P. Minor Webcam problem?
I've been looking around and this is the only place I think that can help.
I wiped my computer recently and just got Live messenger back. The only problem I've noticed is i can't send Webcam only invites. It allows me to send Video (inwhich gives me both, myself and whoever I'm talking too Webcam and audio) The main reason this is an issue for me is due to the webcam I have, Right-Light won't work on video chat inwhich my cam comes out all dark. If I send a webcam only invite seperately, the Right-light kicks in. Also its quite annoying if i want to cam only, especially for people who don't have cams.

Was this change made in one of the updates, or am I not looking in the right spots?

If this was changed in an update, is there anyway to get it back?

I am using Quickcam for notebook deluxe (Logitech)

If you need anymore information, Let me know.

Thanks for your time :D
05-14-2010 05:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: Minor Webcam problem?
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Just tested it and it appears they've got rid of individual webcam sending in 14.0.81117.

This is most likely in preperation for WLM 2010 which, from screenshots, also appears to have individual webcam sending removed.
05-14-2010 05:34 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dansongier

O.P. RE: Minor Webcam problem?
Crap. hmm, Any chance Live plus can mod it back it?
If not, any downgrades available?

Thanks though for the answer :)
05-14-2010 05:47 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
It would be easier to try to fix the issue that you're experiencing with the webcam rather than trying to downgrade an upgrade to retrieve a [now] out-dated feature.

Are you running the latest drivers for your webcam?
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5223 days, 20 hours, 19 minutes, 48 seconds ago
05-14-2010 07:32 PM
Dansongier

O.P. RE: Minor Webcam problem?
Yeah, I made sure everything was updated .
05-14-2010 09:31 PM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
This sucks.

So in 2010 I cannot send my webcam to a contact without them being on? :S

Why the hell would Microsoft do this? :S :S :S
05-14-2010 11:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Official response:

quote:
Originally posted by http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windows...eleased-today.aspx
Update 2,  5/14/10: I want to elaborate a little bit more on some comments I’m seeing here about issues with the webcam feature. Here’s a little background.

The next version of Windows Live Messenger, releasing globally in the coming months, features two-way calling with high quality audio and high-definition video. This enhancement required significant changes in the audio and video stack used across all of our Windows Live services. This week’s Wave 3 update (called “QFE3”) upgrades the current release of Messenger with the new stack. As part of this upgrade, we are retiring one-way webcam functionality.

We never take the decision lightly to remove a feature, but we think that the improvements in performance and call quality for Wave 3 customers and the addition of high-definition video for Wave 4 customers made this the right decision.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
05-17-2010 01:55 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
There's a more detailed explanation on this in the comments of the same post from another Microsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Piero Sierra. Group Program Manager for Shared Data Experience
... There seems to be some confusion on the update to the webcam feature. Let me clarify that one-way video conversations are still very much supported.

It is still absolutely possible to “share your video” with a relative abroad who does not have a video camera. Or see someone else’s webcam when you do not have one. Let me explain how you do this:
Let’s say you do not have a video camera, and are chatting with a friend who does. In the chat window, click “Video” (or click the webcam icon next to your friend’s user tile). This will set up a one-way video call. You can then mute or unmute your audio by clicking the microphone. You can control your friend’s audio by clicking the speaker icon. Simple as that, and you still have the control. The inverse is also supported (where you have a webcam, and your friend does not).

Some background on what has changed:
In the past, we offered two choices to start a video conversation with someone. You could either click “Video Call” or select “Show my webcam.” Video Call is the full-featured option that includes two-way video and audio. It is how most people expect video calling to work. Show my webcam was a one-way feature, where you could show your webcam’s video to your friend, without audio. This caused a lot of confusion, and our data showed users would often click “Show my webcam”, only to be surprised they didn’t have audio, and couldn’t see their friend. They would then attempt to turn these on separately. Furthermore, the two features used a different video code-path which made switching between these scenarios hard, and also made it hard for the team to make quality & performance improvements to the scenario as a whole. In our latest update, we have simplified the command to just “Start Video Call”… If you have a webcam, but your friend does not, they will be able to see you and hear you, and you’ll be able hear them if they have a microphone. If you do not want to hear your friend, or do not want to share your audio, you can simply toggle the microphone icon next to your picture or the speaker icon next to your friend‘s picture.

There are only really two aspects that are different:
(1) it is no longer easy to hide your webcam’s feed if you have one enabled when you start a video call (you can still do this using the AV settings dialog).
(2) You can no longer set up “webcam rings” with multiple people sharing silent video one-way.
There are valid reasons to enable both of these scenarios, but their usage was very infrequent, and made both the user experience and the code overly complicated. This is why we have chosen to move forward with a simpler option.

Please look for a post soon about our expanded video capabilities in Wave 4. ...

Ok, so I can mute my microphone if I don't want to send audio, and people can still see my cam even if the don't have a cam and/or mic themselves. That's good. And I understand the reason for simplyfying. But you're still missing some things (in fact you ripped them out) which really should be present in a decent video chat.

1: Give people full control over what they send, so in addition of turning off audio give people the option to turn off the cam too so they can truely passively watch someone's cam without having to disconnect their own cam from the PC. In fact if you really want to do this properly people should be able to specify what they want to send before the communication starts, I don't want to have to find the mute button in panic while my music is blasting through the speakers, just so I can view someone's webcam.

2: Allow people to have multiple video calls simultaneously. Sure there are technical limitations to this, mainly bandwidth. You might want to inform the users quality degrades as more calls are made, but more and more countries are rolling out fiber now. Soon it will be possible for me to get 100Mbit up and down at my home in the small country of the Netherlands, in other areas high bandwidth connections like this to the home has already been possible for some years. Skype is starting to allow multiple conversations simultaneously too (in their latest beta).

Hope they'll still implement that in the Wave 4 release.

Update: Posted my message above on the MS blog too, and got this reply (probably not aimed at me specificaly)
quote:
Originally posted by Piero Sierra. Group Program Manager for Shared Data Experience
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions on this topic & bearing with the complex explanation. We're looking at some of these for Wave 4.
At least they are reading the comments, let's hope they actually act on it too.

This post was edited on 05-22-2010 at 02:42 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-22-2010 12:26 PM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
This is actual ballocks.
05-22-2010 01:36 PM
broganclarke17

hello.
i was wondering how i can just get webcam, instead of video call.
i never had this problem with the old windows live, so why is it happening now? i was also wondering if i can downgrade to the old windows live messanger again ?

thanks,
brogan.
05-30-2010 09:02 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: