What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Essentials Public Beta release

Pages: (31): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 11 » Last »
Essentials Public Beta release
Author: Message:
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Col.DraGon
Hey guys I  haven't been able to install Wave 4 beta yet, I get this error ALL the time. Please help:

http://i49.tinypic.com/29yrz8l.png

Thanks
It's some sort of problem with the installer. If you used the "all-in-one" installer, try clicking "choose the programs you want" on the download page and install that instead, or vice-versa.

This post was edited on 06-24-2010 at 11:57 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-24-2010 11:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
It's a bit stupid, what if I want to keep my name private?
It is private - private to your list of contacts. Privacy settings can be changed to hide surname, I believe.
No, you can't anymore. This is also one of the (crap) changes.

You must set a surname, and the surname can not be hidden. First and last name are now handled as one.

Also note that your full name will be visible to all your 'friends'. This has always been the case, but in Wave 4, the definition of 'friends' has been changed! They now also include profile-only friends.

In Wave 3 it was possible to add contacts only to your Live Profile. This isn't possible anymore, and both those groups of friends (profile-only friends, and Messenger friends) are now one: (Messenger) Contacts.

Thus it is not possible anymore to have a contact on your profile, but not in Messenger.

This is reflected by the blue dialog you are presented with when you go to your profile page. In this dialog you can set your new privacy settings. But before you do that, make absolutely sure that you either remove profile-only friends or that you are sure you want to share your private data with them (like your full name and email address!!!). This is explained in the "learn more" link in that blue dialog. In order to remove profile-only friends you must go to your Windows Live Contacts page (can again be found via your Profile page).

Only when you are sure you have managed all your contacts on your profile to your likings, proceed to edit (highly encouraged) and "save" your new privacy settings.

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 12:07 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-25-2010 12:02 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You must set a surname.
Some of the odd spaces work http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_%28punctuation%29#Table_of_spaces :). Although I fully agree with your message, crap move.

And when you notice your name is suddenly being shared with everyone and you'll click the link to change it you can expect to be greeted with:
[Image: this-page-is-temporarily-unavailable.png]
The page seems to go up and down, got the error on 2 of 3 attempts over the last few hours.

This post was edited on 06-25-2010 at 12:12 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-25-2010 12:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Lt.Col.DraGon

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Col.DraGon
Hey guys I  haven't been able to install Wave 4 beta yet, I get this error ALL the time. Please help:

http://i49.tinypic.com/29yrz8l.png

Thanks
It's some sort of problem with the installer. If you used the "all-in-one" installer, try clicking "choose the programs you want" on the download page and install that instead, or vice-versa.

I tried using webc version and it's still the same error D:
06-25-2010 12:07 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Of course you can set whatever 'name' you want, so I very strongly suspect many people will set a false name for the above reasons.

But this goes completely against MS intentions to rule out scams and other false identities. Because this was one of the major reasons why they made that (unbelievable crap) move (cba to give the link, but it is on one of the official blogs).

All I can say is: if you don't like it, complain as much as you can to MS and/or on all the forums and blogs you can find.

They might have done excellent work overall with this new Wave 4, but this whole 'full name' business, the lack of a decent warning that all your profile contacts will be converted to Messenger contacts (with all the privacy issues it can cause), the by default auto-installers, etc, is a complete and utterly crap move of which all I can say: What the *beeping* *beep* were they thinking (and that's even said in a polite way).

This isn't about 'getting used to changes' or 'getting rid of the old and going forward in time', or even a 'personal taste of a feature' or whatever, this is all about privacy!

And for that, dear MS, I give you (n)(n).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-25-2010 12:22 AM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
All I can say is: if you don't like it, complain as much as you can to MS and/or on all the forums and blogs you can find.
Would it work if someone made an online petition sorta thing?
06-25-2010 12:26 AM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
They might have done excellent work overall with this new Wave 4, but this whole 'full name' business, the lack of a decent warning that all your profile contacts will be converted to Messenger contacts (with all the privacy issues it can cause), the by default auto-installers, etc, is a complete and utterly crap move of which all I can say: What the *beeping* *beep* were they thinking (and that's even said in a polite way).
Honestly though, I don't think most users have profile-only contacts. I mean...I actually doubt people actually use their profiles for anything. Imo, it only affects the online people who have their own identities online (I don't have fans online, so this really doesn't make a difference to me.)
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6545 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes, 26 seconds ago.

06-25-2010 12:35 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
And for that, dear MS, I give you (n)(n).
now thats a first i seen from you Cookie :) i can see a Lot going for Amsn or other IM clients if M$ dont change it
06-25-2010 12:37 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
quote:
Would it work if someone made an online petition sorta thing?
Petitions in general are ofter fairly useless. It's easy to get thousands of people to press a sign/like button on just about every statement these days. A petition just doesn't impress online. (Unless you go all Patchou on them and hand in everything on paper :p).

What will be more noticeble than a single petition is people complaining independently from eachother, in a constructive way. They seem to have been reading the comments on their own team blog very well, although now there are hunderds of comments on the last few posts I'm not sure if they'll read everything. But other places are good too.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-25-2010 12:56 AM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
I think I'd like it more if it decided what language to show :P
[Image: 7bac25e1528ba18f87a0724dd147fcb5.png]
[Image: Empty.png]
06-25-2010 01:22 AM