What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Bluescreen of Death?

Bluescreen of Death?
Author: Message:
IchineLuna

O.P. Bluescreen of Death?
nnn. I just got Windows Live Plus, and I'd have no problems with my computer whatsoever before.
Right after the installation is complete, my computer bluescreens and shuts down, then refuses to restart.
I finally got it to restart, and thought it was a coincidence.
About an hour later, I get the same bluescreen, and it takes me about an hour to load my computer back up.
Vista identified the problem as Plus, and im uninstalling it right now.
I just want to know if Plus and Vista clash at all, or if it's Plus's programming or something, but its causing some major problems on my computer.
Thank you!
07-04-2010 06:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Bluescreen of Death?
quote:
Originally posted by IchineLuna
Windows Live Plus
It's called Messenger Plus! Live - Are you sure you're talking about the same thing? Please tell us exactly where you downloaded it from. No users have ever experienced a BSoD from my experience, so I'm pretty sure you didn't download MP!L at all. MP!L is a popular piece of software so it wouldn't surprise me if there's unofficial downloads of file sharing websites which actually lead to viruses, malware, etc.

quote:
my computer bluescreens
Just saying that is no help at all. What did the BSoD say? There should have been lots of text which can help determine the problem.

quote:
Vista identified the problem as Plus
You're being too generic. What did the error say?

Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
07-04-2010 09:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
IchineLuna

O.P. RE: Bluescreen of Death?
nn. my apologies. It was 4 in the morning, I was tired, and trying to figure out what my computer was doing.
I dont remember what the screens said, I remember something about physical memory dump? But it's not like I could ctrl+c or printscreen the page to show you.

I did download Plus. My friend sent me the link to the website, I downloaded it. Im sorry fr mthe mixup of words.
It was Messenger Plus! Live 4.84.384 that I downloaded. (http://www.msgpluslive.net/download/ was the link my friend sent)  Immediatly after installation, I got the BSoD.
I then rebooted my comp, and after a while of it not turning on, I finally got it to load.

The error was something from Windows Shutdown Recovery. Again, it was very late, i'm half blind, and I dont remember exactly what it said.
Then, I uninstalled Plus and never had the issue again. Upon loading the desktop, my computer freezes as at a blank white screen for about 15 minutes. It also did that with plus installed, and started doing that after the first BSoD I got.

I had my dad look at my computer this morning, and he's installing a bunch of updates for different drives. He only mentioiined the touchpad and graphics card.

I apologize for my vague-ness. ono
07-04-2010 06:21 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Thank you for the update and apologies for my slight rudeness.

I managed to dig up these quotes from a similar problem with BSoD and Plus! from 2006:
quote:
Originally posted by FineWolf
Blue Screens of Death (BSoDs, what you call "STOP" Errors) are caused by kernel level errors, caused by drivers or programs that hook to the kernel. Messenger Plus! Live, doing none of these, can not be responsible for these crashes.
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
Messenger Plus! Live, being a user level program, is highly unlikely to bring down the system. However, Windows is not as immune to kernel crashes as systems like Linux, so if there's a number of problems concerning a number of apps, the combination can take down the system. In this case, it's likely to be another 3rd-party program that's also hooking into WLM, which conflicts with Plus! at a low level, causing system instability.

And the sort of program that will do that is spyware or a virus.

Which brings me to my next question: Do you have any other Messenger add-ons - including, but not limited to this list of known incompatible add-ons?

Also, I'd recommend using anti-virus software (like MSE) to scan your computer, as well as Anti-Malware.

This post was edited on 07-04-2010 at 09:13 PM by Chris4.
07-04-2010 07:27 PM
IchineLuna

O.P. RE: Bluescreen of Death?
Plus is the first thing i've installed for Live.

I've run McAfee quite frequently after the first BSoD. Before the second one, My computer ran nicely for about an hour, in which I deleted about 100 GB of files and programs and I ran McAfee, since when I rebooted, it had shut off, alerting me that 'My computer wasn't protected'. It didn't find any viruses or anything when I scanned.

Thank you!
07-04-2010 07:57 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Ok. So you've removed Plus! now? Try doing a clean install?
07-04-2010 09:22 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: