What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » [split] ple file disappears

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[split] ple file disappears
Author: Message:
andrazs

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs
Hi! Yesterday I was reading encrypted logs with the log viewer, but when I closed the viewer, 1 .ple log file disappeared. (Like a Shift + Del delete) I couldn't recover it with some recovery programs.

Have you ever experienced it? I'm sure I didn't delete the file, and unfortunately I don't backup all my files daily.

Is there any method to do a proper recovery? I know the viewer makes a temporary html file (to the same folder) to read it, can I find it somehow/somewhere?

07-17-2010 12:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [split] ple file disappears
Never heared nor experienced it.

Actually Messenger Plus! never removes any log files when you view them. Even corrupt files, or non-log files, etc wont be removed. At best, they are simply ignored when you use the Log Viewer, but they would still exist physically on your hard disk.

So, the only reason why a log file would be "removed" by Messenger Plus! is when logs are archived to a subdirectory. This depends on your log settings* of course. But this isn't "removing" the file though; the file still exists, it is simply moved to a subdirectory...

So, all I can suggest is to check if the log hasn't been moved to an archived map.
Other than that, if you can't recover the file using a recovery program, you have lost it permanently.

*eg: In Plus! > Options & Preferences > Conversations > Chat Logging
When you have selected 'one folder per month' then logs from the previous month will be moved to a subdirectory with the name of that month.

Questions:
1) While you were viewing the logs with the Log Viewer, did you receive any messages from one of your contacts?
2) If so, was one of those messages coming from the contact from which you 'lost' the log file?
3) Do you have the following registry setting, and if so what is the exact value:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\your@email.com\LogsDateDirFormat

This post was edited on 07-18-2010 at 10:25 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-18-2010 10:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
andrazs

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] ple file disappears
I have the "one folder per month" setting checked, but my log files are automatically saved to the "[month name] [year]" folders. I received messages, but not from those, whose logs were opened. Actually the disappeared one's user was offline when it happened. I couldn't find the setting in the registry.

After I read the later disappeared log, I clicked others, both encrypted and older, simple HTML logs. After 30-40 minutes I clicked back to the disappeared one, and a warning said that it doesn't exist. Then I re-opened the Log Viewer from the messaging window of the disappeared's user (Plus! -> ~Open Log File), and the Viewer showed an empty white page. And then the user's e-mail address wasn't listed on the left side.
07-18-2010 10:06 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Sounds very strange.... But unfortunatly I can't help you with this, sorry.
Let's hope someone from Yuna Software (or even better Patchou) reads this thread....
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-19-2010 12:55 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
RE: RE: [split] ple file disappears
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Let's hope someone from Yuna Software (or even better Patchou) reads this thread....

I'm from Yuna and have passed this on to Patchou's team.  Hope they can help.
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

07-19-2010 09:36 AM
andrazs

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] ple file disappears
Thanks!
07-21-2010 04:54 PM
pzaafir

hey um.. i actually got the same prob a few days ago. did anyone find a solution to it yet?
08-25-2010 03:41 PM
Jieff
Former Yuna Software

– / Male / Flag
Of course, the Yuna development team is always monitoring the threads :)

As CookieRevised was mentionning, Messenger Plus! never removes any log files when you view them.

Pzaafir did you do anything specific? Is this a regular occurence?

We need as much details as possible.

We are currently working on the encryption and archiving features of the new Plus! 5 version. We will keep an eye for this possible bug.

Cheers,
Jieff
Team leader - Messenger Plus!
Kimahri Software
08-26-2010 01:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
pzaafir

@ Jieff i didn't do anything specific.  not as far as i remember tho. i had my laptop on overnight but when i tried to click on the .ple log file which was still there in the morning, it just disappeared. i cn't seem to find it. i remember the log file being around 7-8mb. this is the first time it happened to me. so, i wldn't say that it's a regular occurence. i've never had the log file for more than that size tho. they're always usually smaller in size. i classify em by months & it just created a new log file with the same file name on top of that.. i kinda really need the file log. i have a poor memory :( i eve tried to restore my pc to an earlier date but in vain. this doesn't solve the problem.
08-30-2010 08:32 AM
pzaafir

I think i know where the problem is. I've actually never had the log file for more than a certain size (500kb or so) & I 'think' that once it's past a certain size. the file gets deleted. what I used to do before is to rename the monthly log every week or so in order to split them into smaller (by size) files.
11-15-2010 04:31 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: