What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Hey guys, need some help please

Hey guys, need some help please
Author: Message:
euq3

O.P. Hey guys, need some help please
So, my situation is a bit complicated.

5 days ago  I decided to erase my msn accoount due to some virus that sent out spams to all of my contacts, I went through the process, cancelled the account and it said it will take 270 days for me to not log in for the account to be permanently deleted.

Yesterday, I met a bunch of people and I totally forgot, and gave em the msn account that I deleted just 5 days ago. I logged back into the account yesterday and everything seemed to work properly, however during this time that my msn account was in the process of being deactivated( the 3-4 days that I haven't logged in) could they have still added me on msn Messenger or would the messenger say that the account did not exist?
Any feedback would be great guys!

thanks a lot :)
08-23-2010 09:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Hey guys, need some help please
Firstly, you posted in the Messenger Plus! Live section of the website, this is a Windows Live Messenger query, I've requested that it be moved.

As long as the account hadn't actually been deleted then it should be okay, but if they don't pop up as having added you then obviously it didn't work, so it'd be best to get back in contact with them and let them know what might have happened
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5219 days, 7 hours, 44 minutes, 49 seconds ago
08-23-2010 10:14 AM
euq3

O.P. RE: Hey guys, need some help please
thanks alot danny ;) and sorry for posting it in the wrong section!
08-23-2010 10:52 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
When you explicitly close your Hotmail account (note: only Windows Live Hotmail accounts can be closed by their owners), you actually only close the email service of that account!

Your Windows Live ID (the thing you use to sign in into Messenger) will still be available for another 365 days.

If there is no activity detected on that account during these 365 days, the Windows Live ID will be permanently removed and made available again for others to create.

--

The 270 days you speak of is the 'countdown' for when an account becomes 'inactive' (not removed) by itself. If you leave a Windows Live ID account for what it is and it hasn't had any activity during 270 days (or 10 days for just new created accounts), it will automatically get the 'inactive' status. Aka: you don't need to do anything for this. So, if you don't want your account to become 'inactive' you need to log in at least once every 270 days.

If the account stays another 90 days inactive after these 270 days of inactivity, then the account will be completely removed and the name will be made available again for other people.

--

see:
http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solution...-ae2c-91e158a4cc76
http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solution...-a60c-aae81982a54e

--

Thus:
quote:
Originally posted by euq3
however during this time that my msn account was in the process of being deactivated( the 3-4 days that I haven't logged in) could they have still added me on msn Messenger or would the messenger say that the account did not exist?
There is no "process of being deactivated". It happens instantly after x days of inactivity (see above). Thus, before the account gets the status 'inactive', it is 'active', just like it always is, there is not something in between.

So, since you logged in again into Messenger, etc, nothing would have happened. Neither you or your contacts would have noticed anything different.

So, yes, they can still add you in Messenger.

However! If you explicitly closed your Hotmail account, the email service connected to it would have been removed though. So, if your contacts would have send you an email, the email would have bounced back to them...

-----------

Also note that simply changing your password (and secret question) might have done the trick to remove those 'virusses' and spam send from your account though!

This is because such 'virusses' are 99% of the time spambots which got your credentials (login and pwd) by social engineering. Aka: at one point you fell for a phising scam. Eg: entering your login and password on a site to check who has blocked you. Such stuff is impossible to see, and all such sites do is collecting people's credentials in order to sell them to spammers.

Thus, changing your credentials will easily stop this (provided you aren't infected with a keylogger or other form of local virus).

Remember: never ever give out your password on non-microsoft related sites. If the site is legit and it needs your Windows Live ID and password, it would _always_ go to a Microsoft page for that to let you log in. It never ever will present you a form on the site itself where you can login.

This post was edited on 08-24-2010 at 12:18 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-23-2010 11:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cameron10

Is there a simple way to stop thes assholes sending you spam emails no matter how often i  delete them the just keep coming
back
03-28-2011 12:36 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by cameron10
Is there a simple way to stop thes assholes sending you spam emails no matter how often i  delete them the just keep coming
back

As you're using hotmail, your best bet would be to set your mail privacy settings to "Exclusive." That means only contacts' mails go to your Inbox, anything else will just end up in the Junk folder. You still might want to check your Junk folder every day or two to make sure no important mail ended up in the Junk folder.

[Image: hotmailfilters.jpg]

This post was edited on 03-28-2011 at 01:23 PM by Arcticwolfx.
03-28-2011 12:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: