What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Closing my msgplus.net account?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Closing my msgplus.net account?
Author: Message:
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Closing my msgplus.net account?
Hello, it's been a while.

Today I got a "friend request" from msgplus.net (i.e. the main website, not these forums). Apparently I have an account there. However, since I don't actually use MP!L any more, combined with the fact that it now seems like it's another source of unwanted e-mail (I have unchecked all options related to letting you e-mail me, but it seems like friend request emails are unaffected by this) I would like to close my account on msgplus.net (still, the main website, not these forums).

This is probably not exactly what this forum section is for, apologies.

Hopefully it's possible to remove the msgplus.net account without affecting this forum account - after all, I have spent quite a lot of time here, and feel that I at least used to be a member of the community. However, if the only option for me is to lose this account as well, then so be it, as I really don't want to continue getting these unwanted e-mails.

Thanks.
[Image: signature.php]
08-21-2012 11:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
zach

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Closing my msgplus.net account?
The explanation for this will be mildly interesting, if we get one that is . . .
08-21-2012 12:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
foaly

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Hello friend, I hope this mail will reach you in fine and perfect condition of health and my greetings to you. Nice to see your wonderful profile here. Want to be my friend? please write me directly via mail id ( joyfaith317@yahoo.co.uk ) so that i can send you my photos. Please do not write me back here on the site. I will be expecting to receive your mail through the above email id because i have something VERY important and urgent to tell you I am waiting for your mail at ( joyfaith317@yahoo.co.uk). Thanks for your understanding. Your new friend. JOY. PLEAS CONTACT ME DIRECTLY WITH THIS EMAIL ( joyfaith317@yahoo.co.uk)

That one?
[signature.jpg]
08-21-2012 01:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
I too have received about 10 of these over the past year or so
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
08-21-2012 01:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
msgplus.net (i.e. the main website, not these forums). Apparently I have an account there.
True. When the main site was redesigned again (early 2011?) accounts from a (old) msghelp.net database were imported to msgplus.net. Nobody on the forum team was informed about this, they found out about it after it happened. Yuna pays for the server msghelp.net runs on and they have root on it, which is how they are able to grab a database dump.

You should be able to login to msgplus.net using the emailaddress and password you used at the time of the database dump (which was probably late 2010). Other than that the accounts are separate.

The anti-spam features are poor. During beta this was pointed out (those with beta access: for example here and here). If anything changed as a result of those reports is unclear, but spam clearly still is an issue.

Because I still approve the skins/scripts/etc submissions I do have mod access on msgplus.net. When I see spam (mainly PMs) I ban them. But there doesn't seem to be a limit on how much PMs a user can send, making it ieasy for a spammer to do a lot of damage before he is caught, if an admin catches on to it at all. There is a report link on the msgplus.net PMs, but I don't know where those reports end up / or if anyone if monitoring those at all.

It doesn't seem possible to close your own account on msgplus.net, nor am I sure what would be the correct address to reach someone on for that. The "contact us" link leads here :zippy:. I'm not involved or updated about the msgplus.net development, hope someone who knows things will reply.

tl;dr: msghelp.net and msgplus.net aren't linked together, things are messy to say the least.
</rant>

Having that said... If nobody replies with decent info... PM me on here with your msgplus.net emailaddy and I'll see if I can remove the account for you.

This post was edited on 08-21-2012 at 02:56 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-21-2012 02:49 PM
foaly

37 / Male / Flag
yeah, not only do I get spam like this from the PM system,
also my mailadres was the target of spammers, I'm assuming because of a lack of preventative measures.
[signature.jpg]
08-21-2012 03:18 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Closing my msgplus.net account?
Thanks for the replies.

foaly, yep, that's the one. zach, the reason I got it was that the spammer sent me a friend request with the spam message as the message for me. Apparently friend request messages are still sent even if you have chosen not to receive any e-mail.

I did log in, and I saw many spam PMs as well. However, because I had chosen not to receive e-mail in the options (if this is not default then I must have logged in in the past and changed it) I never knew about it, but because this message made its way to my mailbox I obviously got to know about that one :P

But yeah, contacting you Menthix now...
[Image: signature.php]
08-21-2012 05:19 PM
zach

33 / Male / Flag
Thanks Menthix, that makes sense. I didn't realize I had a msgplus account, or that my forum account info had been copied it (or whatever).

foaly, you made your email public on your profile...
08-21-2012 11:05 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
I too have received about 10 of these over the past year or so
just 10? Wow, you lucky bastard :P
I received quite a lot more.

From time to time I report the senders (though I know it is kind of useless).

The whole signup system and such is fu*ked up, major spam heaven over there.
Unfortunatly I can't close my account since it is linked to Translators/Testers interface.

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
The anti-spam features are poor. During beta this was pointed out (those with beta access: for example here and here). If anything changed as a result of those reports is unclear, but spam clearly still is an issue.
The privacy issues were handled though. Before it was quite easy to see and get someone's email address. At least that has been fixed (luckally). The rest... welll.... probably never? :p

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Because I still approve the skins/scripts/etc submissions I do have mod access on msgplus.net. When I see spam (mainly PMs) I ban them. But there doesn't seem to be a limit on how much PMs a user can send, making it ieasy for a spammer to do a lot of damage before he is caught, if an admin catches on to it at all. There is a report link on the msgplus.net PMs, but I don't know where those reports end up / or if anyone if monitoring those at all.
I don't think so, even though I report those spammers from time to time, most accounts are still listed as being 'active'....

This post was edited on 08-22-2012 at 08:18 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-22-2012 08:18 AM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
Could those experiencing the problem forward me the sample message via private message here or to
nathalie  @ yunasoftware.com?  Thanks
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

08-22-2012 08:32 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites