Shoutbox

New Installer for Messenger Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: New Installer for Messenger Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=100017)

New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Nathalie on 02-10-2013 at 01:25 PM

We are pleased to introduce our new installer for Messenger Plus!  which is available when you download the software from the Websitewww.msgplus.net

It features an improved user interface that clearly guides you through the installation process with numbered screens, tooltips and transparent text and graphic explanations so that you know what is happening  at each stage of the process.    As a Google partner, Messenger Plus! has developed the installer to be fully compliant with Google guidelines and it has been warmly received.   The installer lets you download Messenger Plus! (for Skype) and other add-ons will be available in the future. 

Currently, the installer is available in 7 languages, with additional languages coming soon.   If you see any issues regarding translation, incorrect line breaks, missing special characters or the logic of the installation process itself, please post here or send us a message at support@msgpluslive.net. You may include the installation language, screenshot/s, your operating system and default browser.  Please include “Installer feedback” in the subject of your email.

We are planning a new version of Messenger Plus! (for Skype) that is targeted for availability by the end of this quarter. Messenger Plus! for Windows Live Messenger 6.0 will be available on its product page on the website.

We appreciate your feedback and your continued support of Messenger Plus! and its offers which help keep the software updated and free of charge.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by whiz on 02-10-2013 at 04:35 PM

...so you can't actually install it without having to install the adware?

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1022792]

Smart move.

Also, that link doesn't work.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by whiz on 02-10-2013 at 04:43 PM

Also, this.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1022793]

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 02-10-2013 at 08:15 PM

RIP. The cancer has become terminal.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Chrono on 02-11-2013 at 04:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whiz

Smart move.

That's just wrong :(
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by k-sa on 02-11-2013 at 05:51 AM

Thanks

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Nathalie on 02-11-2013 at 10:06 AM

The current policy is that the Plus installer requires the user to accept at least one of the bundled offers in order to keep the software free and up to date.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by prashker on 02-11-2013 at 01:36 PM

I love this new change. Long live Leader :).

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by jpg050 on 02-11-2013 at 03:35 PM

Pathetic. Good riddance.

RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by prashker on 02-11-2013 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jpg050
Pathetic. Good riddance.
Yes, our leader make great decision :).
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 02-11-2013 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Originally posted by jpg050
Pathetic. Good riddance.
Yes, our leader make great decision :).
You have been banned from /r/pyongyang
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by pollolibredegrasa on 02-11-2013 at 05:16 PM

[Image: 3sevmy.jpg]

I've posted this before but I feel it's now even more relevant.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 02-11-2013 at 07:11 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1022812]

For the history books:
New milestone achieved: Since February 2013 Plus! includes mandatory adware!

--------------

PS: Even if you choose the first option to simply install a smartbar on your browser, other crap stuff get installed too! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
Also, after installing quite a lot of temporary files and directories are not properly removed. And also using a DOS executable to install something? Really? What a mess.......

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Mnjul on 02-11-2013 at 07:21 PM

We can no longer tell users they might have possibly, maybe, perhaps, ticked the checkboxes before clicking "Next". They now have to.

RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by matty on 02-11-2013 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
[Image: attachment.php?pid=1022812]

For the history books:
New milestone achieved: Since February 2013 Plus! includes mandatory adware!

--------------

PS: even if you choose the first option to simply install a smartbar on your browser, other crap stuff get installed too! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

I figured I'd check in and this is what I am checking in to. Have you seriously lost your mind? You obviously realize you paid way too much for the software and are trying to recuperate some of those funds.

This truly is a shame however was bound to happen.

It is impressive how I can install the application fully then at the end am informed I require Skype 5 to be installed... that should be the first requirement and the setup shouldn't continue whatsoever at that point...

I wonder when Cyril is going to be in Toronto next!
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by traxor on 02-11-2013 at 08:40 PM

Hate to say I told you soooooooo!

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 02-11-2013 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Talk2Luke
Ahem.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by traxor on 02-11-2013 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
Ahem.
Replied.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by prashker on 02-11-2013 at 09:53 PM

Do not bash dear leader Luke.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Discrate on 02-12-2013 at 04:24 PM

1 positive is that they are now openly forcing you to install their adware

Where as before they were making you install the adware despite unchecking the boxes and claiming it was a "Bug"

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by traxor on 02-12-2013 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
1 positive is that they are now openly forcing you to install their adware

Where as before they were making you install the adware despite unchecking the boxes and claiming it was a "Bug"

I wish I could favourite this a couple of times.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Nathalie on 02-12-2013 at 05:27 PM

Further to my original announcement, please read this thread regarding downloading Messenger Plus! for Windows Live Messenger on the website:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=100021

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by matty on 02-12-2013 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
Further to my original announcement, please read this thread regarding downloading Messenger Plus! for Windows Live Messenger on the website:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=100021
Why is it that there is zero acknowledgement to our previous concerns regarding the installer?

With moves like this you're going to lose your user base quicker than you can shake a stick at.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by traxor on 02-13-2013 at 01:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
Why is it that there is zero acknowledgement to our previous concerns regarding the installer?

With moves like this you're going to lose your user base quicker than you can shake a stick at.

They’re better off setting up a ticket system.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Nathalie on 02-13-2013 at 01:52 PM

The offers during installation provide the main source for the limited revenue that continues to support and maintain the Messenger Plus! software, and keep it free for the users.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 02-13-2013 at 09:46 PM

quote:
The offers during installation provide the main source for the limited revenue that continues to support and maintain the Messenger Plus! software, and keep it free for the users.
But its not free, of garbage at least. Free implies you give nothing to get a gain. I see lots of stuff being lost aside from money. Therefore its not really free, now is it?
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 02-14-2013 at 02:42 AM

quote:
In a way understandable, however I would rather pay for a software knowing and trusting it to be adware free after installing, than having a freeware with mandatory adware.

I regulary install new (small) software, but whenever I come across installers like that with mandatory adware (and no way to have an adware-free alternative like a payed version), I always quit it immediatly, remove the installer from my disk and go searching for alternatives, if any, and never think about it again.

You know, one of the main reasons I ever installed Plus! back in the day was exactly because it did not had any mandatory adware; you could opt out. If it would had the exact same installer it has now I would never have continued to install it in the first place and it would never have been a big part of my life for a decade, I would never have known the many people around the world (of which some have become very very close friends) and would never have done all the things I have done related to it, etc.

So, thank you Plus!, but, no thank you Plus!.... it ends here.

But that's maybe just me....
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Chrono on 02-14-2013 at 03:16 AM

It's sort of funny, i remember in the old days when plus! first got the (optional) sponsor, there was talk about a "plus! lite". We've got to the time when we'd really need that, but i know no one will even bother :chroppy:

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Spunky on 02-14-2013 at 03:47 PM

[Image: 3szq47.jpg]

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by traxor on 02-14-2013 at 03:52 PM

The application has gone from being something good, to something poor to something your Mum and Dad would accidentally install after clicking some link in an email.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Choli on 02-14-2013 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
It's sort of funny, i remember in the old days when plus! first got the (optional) sponsor, there was talk about a "plus! lite". We've got to the time when we'd really need that, but i know no one will even bother :chroppy:
In the future we will have an adware installer where you can optionally install Plus!... time to time..
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MELERIX on 02-16-2013 at 10:10 AM

I've uninstalled completely the whole Messenger Plus from my computer now, included the one for Skype.

I always like free software, but I can't accept that crapware now is required/forced to be installed.

now finally my computer is clean, no more plus service running in background and eating memory everytime, and no more crapware in my computer.

seems this is the end of messenger plus.

PATCHOU WHERE ARE YOU!

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Mnjul on 02-16-2013 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MELERIX
PATCHOU WHERE ARE YOU!
on Reddit, March 15th :p
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by traxor on 02-16-2013 at 02:03 PM

quote:
I've uninstalled completely the whole Messenger Plus from my computer now, included the one for Skype.

I always like free software, but I can't accept that crapware now is required/forced to be installed.

now finally my computer is clean, no more plus service running in background and eating memory everytime, and no more crapware in my computer.

seems this is the end of messenger plus.

PATCHOU WHERE ARE YOU!

FAVOURITE FAVOURITE FAVOURITE
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Spunky on 02-16-2013 at 02:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
quote:
PATCHOU WHERE ARE YOU!
on Reddit, March 15th :p
Was gonna post that earlier, but I was too lazy (and in hospital) :p

Spoiler:
[Image: emily1.jpg]

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by jessycardy on 02-17-2013 at 01:31 AM

Oh no... Didn't even have the time to celebrate the future inclusion of custom sounds, that I stumble upon this. Sucks. Sucks big time. Might be the end for me too. I hope they'll change their minds and realize nobody will install Plus! with mandatory adware. There's just no way!

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by traxor on 02-17-2013 at 10:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jessycardy
Oh no... Didn't even have the time to celebrate the future inclusion of custom sounds, that I stumble upon this. Sucks. Sucks big time. Might be the end for me too. I hope they'll change their minds and realize nobody will install Plus! with mandatory adware. There's just no way!

They will, but it’ll only be unsuspecting people who don’t know any better. These are the people Yuna are targeting.
RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by jessycardy on 02-18-2013 at 10:02 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jessycardy

They will, but it’ll only be unsuspecting people who don’t know any better. These are the people Yuna are targeting.

I think unsuspecting people don't pay much attention to the installation process and most of the time end up installing adware and stuff even when it's optional. It really seems to me like this mandatory crap's only purpose is to piss off conscious users and have them stop using the software... :^)
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by TICHO_CAM on 03-11-2013 at 08:43 PM

IT REALLY SUCKS THAT I HAVE TO INSTALL A ANOYING ADWARE IN ORDER TO USE  MESS PLUS,  I HAVE BEEN  A MESS PLUS USER FOR MORE THAN 6 YEARS  BUT NOW I WONT INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION 

SORRY!

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Dr Frankenstein on 03-14-2013 at 02:38 AM

I've been a user of Messenger Plus! since 2002. Sure, I grew out of the toys like sounds and abuse of formatting and that kind of stuff, but I kept it for the handy shortcuts, floating contacts, POP notifications, skins to make the windows more compact and streamlined, scripts and, most especially, encrypted logging.

I was somewhat wary when adware first made its way into the installer, but since it was optional, I kept on using the extension, carefully unchecking the option to install it.

Now, if installing it without adware is no longer an option, well, installing it is no longer an option for me altogether.

I'm an IT technician. One of my jobs (and the most time consuming and aggravating, too) is to remove annoying (and increasingly sophisticated) adware from my clients' computers. I'm not going to just cave in and put that trash on my computer just to use a piece of software, even if it's software I like and I've been using for 11 years. Nobody likes adware. Nobody is happy to put up with it even if it enables them to install something.

Look at all those free and clean applications: GIMP, Mozilla Firefox, VLC... those are all applications of good quality that were started with little or no funding and managed to keep going without resorting to displaying advertisement directly on the user's computer. If you have to resort to requiring your users to install adware on their computers, then some very bad decisions have been made along the line in preventing, fixing and dealing with the funding problem(s). Even closed source software manage to stay free in other ways.

What is happening now is hurting Yuna Software's credibility like nothing else, not to mention the product's credibility. The optional adware was a pretty shitty move already, creating your own very questionable toolbar only made it worse; forcing it upon the users is undoubtedly the nail in the coffin.

Sure, I could just check the homepage or default search option, then revert it manually after the install... But it doesn't feel right. Lost credibility also means lost trust, plus the disturbing reports of users having, in the past, opted out of the adware and finding it installed on their computers anyway. It may even have happened to me but the memory isn't clear enough to tell is as a fact.

Long story short, Messenger Plus! is too costly to develop and/or the funding methods are inappropriate (and a serious lack of respect towards your users.) Either cut expenses or change your funding strategy.

Until that is fixed (and if it ever happens,) I'm out. (N)

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 03-14-2013 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Frankenstein
Sure, I could just check the homepage or default search option, then revert it manually after the install
Don't worry, there's a helper app to force these down your throat in the event you do decide to change them.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by olivex on 03-14-2013 at 11:39 PM

Can those adwares be uninstalled completely?

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 03-14-2013 at 11:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by olivex
Not without removing Plus itself, nope
RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by slay on 03-15-2013 at 12:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Frankenstein
I've been a user of Messenger Plus! since 2002.
Now, if installing it without adware is no longer an option, well, installing it is no longer an option for me altogether.
Until that is fixed (and if it ever happens,) I'm out. (N)

True words.

I also have been using Messenger Plus! for years and looks like this era ends here and now.

I will no more disable my antivirus and install new messenger plus! software.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by uchihas on 03-15-2013 at 08:02 PM

Well, great. I am not installing this new version, if someday they block the old one, good bye MSG Plus, as I am using just for chat logs to be easier reading.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by viksra on 03-16-2013 at 02:53 AM

Hello,

I registered on this site to complain about this garbage you guys are forcing us to install, the "Messenger Plus! Community Smartbar."

I've been using your software since you had MSN Plus! all the way back from around 2002/2003. I absolutely REFUSE to install this trash you're now forcing on us, and will no longer recommend to people that they use this service if you continue forcing us to install unwanted garbage.

You should be ashamed that you are trying to force a community of people who use your product into installing this trash.

Keywords to help search engines index this trash so everyone knows to avoid it:
Useless software, garbage, worst application, msn spyware, skype spyware, skype malware, msn malware, windows live messenger trojan, adware, messenger plus adware, messenger plus smartbar scam

RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by viksra on 03-16-2013 at 02:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
Originally posted by whiz

Smart move.

That's just wrong :(

Messenger Plus team:

Even your own forum admin is saying it's just wrong.

Are you guys stupid or what? I really hope you either do one of the following:
1.) reverse your decision to force us to install this unwanted trash so I can continue to enjoy using the service I once loved
2.) face a fallout from users and burn to the ground out of existence, good riddance
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by stephenjudge on 03-17-2013 at 11:47 PM

I used Messenger Plus for WLM for many years. I liked that it could log my chats, save them online and record me webcam. I was delighted when Messenger Plus for Skype came along, although I was waiting for the feature to save chats online.

Now this move to force me to install junkware is just a step too far. I understand that most software projects need funds to survive. But lets face it your product is not that wonderful or complex. Many open source projects with far more complex software survive on donations. If you thought you would make a viable business from this software, well that was just a bad business decision. People will easily abandon something when there are alternatives and people are fickle. You decision to force junkware onto your users will only destroy any sense of community and sentimental attachment people may have had for your software.

If anybody does not have the installer for their current installed version and doesn't want to upgrade. You can still download the Messenger Plus! (for Skype) 1.05.0.118 from Download.com http://download.cnet.com/Messenger-Plus-for-Skype...50_4-75703798.html choose the Direct Download link. In the event that Download.com upgrade their version to this new junkware version, I have uploaded the 1.05.0.118 installer here http://bayfiles.com/file/KtcD/WKPiPP/Setup-PlusForSkype-1.5.exe

If you want to ditch Messenger Plus! for good, depending on your needs there are alternatives, check out the Skype Apps directory to start with http://shop.skype.com/apps/

If I am satisfied with an alternative, I will just uninstall my current version and ditch Messenger Plus for good, even though I can just use an older version. This move just makes me uncomfortable and just leaves a soar taste in my mouth

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by elshagon on 03-18-2013 at 07:31 PM

Been using this for many years along with all my friends and family.  We're all uninstalling it and moving to something else.  Mandatory adware is unacceptable.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by venom_zx on 03-18-2013 at 09:08 PM

like so many of you, i've also been using msgplus for years (since 2003). i mainly use it for the chat logging and it has some nice shortcuts.

you can't force adware on your users.

by the way, i just found the following on reddit at:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1acqc4/i_am...chou_developer_of/

(Cyril = Patchou as the link says)

quote:
[–]AdamDempsey 3 points 3 days ago

Hey Cyril :)

Were you looking to sell Plus! or did Yuna approach you?

Do you regret the sale or do you think you made the right choice (with the rise of social networking and now the closure of the Messenger service I think it was the perfect time)

Do you have any opinion on the recent changed that Yuna have made to force sponsor installs?

Thanks for helping in the sale of the Soundpack DB :)

quote:
[–]IAmPatchou[S] 5 points 3 days ago

Heya.

I was not really looking to sell anything but my business partners at the time wanted to move on, which made me realize I may want to do the same. As for forcing the sponsor on users' computers now, it is a bad move, anybody with a bit of common sense would know that.

In retrospect, it was indeed great timing to sell at that time. I do not regret anything: I was happy then doing what I did, I'm happy now doing other things. We got to keep our daily lives interesting, we only have one life to live.

looks like msgplus was sold off to Yuna.

i'm uninstalling it. i guess this is the end of the ride...
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 03-18-2013 at 10:40 PM

small note to put in perspective:

quote:
Originally posted by venom_zx
looks like msgplus was sold off to Yuna
This is very old news actually.
Messenger Plus! and everything related to it was sold like three to four years ago. And many things (good and bad) have happened since. So, most people who frequent these forums, but also others, already know this since years.

The change from "made by Patchou" to "made by Yuna Software", in the software itself since 2009, is also a dead give away ;-) So, that on its own shouldn't be a reason to uninstall.

However, as for the (still continuous) screwups and recent pure commercially based decisions that Yuna made, well... this and other threads say enough I think.
RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by olivex on 03-18-2013 at 11:14 PM

quote:
quote:
Not without removing Plus itself, nope
Well that's the end of story. I have been a loyal and faithful plus! user for about 10 years. I helped defend for plus! as someone complained she got adware when trying to install it (Because she carelessly kept those optional ticks), now I am astonished I cannot continue without the tick. I never heard of any software (I mean, real ones) that claims itself must be installed together with adware. As most of you might do, bye bye plus!.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by olivex on 03-19-2013 at 09:34 AM

Can anyone suggest a chat logging software for Skype? The only feature I use Msgplus is chat logging. I don't like native chat logging because 1) it places the log in system folder and cannot be moved to othr places 2) It allows logging forever but can only review recent 3 months log? (?)
I tried Skyhistory but it seems not working. It crashed upon first run and the latest version was launched in 2011. So it must be dead already.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Hofc on 03-20-2013 at 08:30 PM

So after using msgplus for more years then i care to remember, im leaving it since it decided to go forced adware on me. Wondered if anyone could tell me of alternatives that supported similar style logging, and perhaps an event viewer?

Thanks.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MrMoustache on 03-21-2013 at 05:38 AM

Well, so long, MsgPlus. You were great, but being forced to install something else just to use a program is not worth it. From what I've read, the installer is full of major bugs, including completely rewriting someone's internet settings. Thanks for all the past stuff, but I should not be forced to install crap just to use a program like this. Goodbye.

RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by stephenjudge on 03-21-2013 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Can anyone suggest a chat logging software for Skype? The only feature I use Msgplus is chat logging. I don't like native chat logging because 1) it places the log in system folder and cannot be moved to othr places 2) It allows logging forever but can only review recent 3 months log? (?)
I tried Skyhistory but it seems not working. It crashed upon first run and the latest version was launched in 2011. So it must be dead already.

See my post:
quote:
Originally posted by stephenjudge
...If anybody does not have the installer for their current installed version and doesn't want to upgrade. You can still download the Messenger Plus! (for Skype) 1.05.0.118 from Download.com http://download.cnet.com/Messenger-Plus-for-Skype...50_4-75703798.html choose the Direct Download link. In the event that Download.com upgrade their version to this new junkware version, I have uploaded the 1.05.0.118 installer here http://bayfiles.com/file/KtcD/WKPiPP/Setup-PlusForSkype-1.5.exe

If you want to ditch Messenger Plus! for good, depending on your needs there are alternatives, check out the Skype Apps directory to start with http://shop.skype.com/apps/ ...

Also I am using SkyHistory and it is working fine for me, but there are other chat loggers in the Skype Apps directory I mentioned above.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 03-21-2013 at 11:33 PM

FYI, the ad-ware components do not work at all under Windows XP, they do not get installed regardless of what checkboxes are selected.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Raa on 03-23-2013 at 11:47 PM

Well after many happy years and a few unhappy years of Msgplus!ing, i'm out.

Thanks for ruining a potentially great program. Cheers guys! (Y)

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by DJVG on 03-24-2013 at 12:08 AM

Hi guys,

I found a way to install the latest version without all the adware crap.

I think i cannot discuss it here, so send me a PM to know how to do it!

Regards,
DJVG

The hell with it: <removed>
Zip with all information included and a installer script.

Works on 7 x64, should work on other oses as well.

Have fun with it guys! (i did not modify any plus files!!)
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by venom_zx on 03-24-2013 at 11:14 AM

quote:
small note to put in perspective:
quote:
Originally posted by venom_zx
looks like msgplus was sold off to Yuna
This is very old news actually.
Messenger Plus! and everything related to it was sold like three to four years ago. And many things (good and bad) have happened since. So, most people who frequent these forums, but also others, already know this since years.

The change from "made by Patchou" to "made by Yuna Software", in the software itself since 2009, is also a dead give away ;-) So, that on its own shouldn't be a reason to uninstall.

However, as for the (still continuous) screwups and recent pure commercially based decisions that Yuna made, well... this and other threads say enough I think.

i never assumed that because it said Yuna software, that the owner had changed.

but don't misunderstand... the reason i no longer use it is because of the forced adware. it's just telling, that after the owner has changed, that this is the result.
RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 03-24-2013 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJVG
The hell with it: http://www.djvg.net/dl/pluswithoutadwarecrap.zip

No, it wont work on all OSs.

Mosty because you hard coded the installation paths in that batch file.
Since you need an existing installation, it is quite easy (and very recommended) to
1) check if there is an existing installation to begin with

2) get the user's installation paths from Skype and Plus! from the registry.
See how in my decryptAll.bat and encryptAll.bat command line tools for mass decryption/encryption of Plus! logs

But equally important:
3) The virtual cam driver will not be "updated" by doing all this, since it it not located in the installation path of Plus! but in the driver repository of Windows.

4) You forgot to include the sounds and other additional media. Those are not installed in the installation path, but rather in the users application data repository. Not vital stuff, but still...

5) hint/tip: The 'settings' map contains the Plus!Network installer.

In other words, there is much more to it to let it (propery) work than simply overwriting files in the installation map!!!

;-)

----

Notes to others:

1) Note that this will not "install the latest" version per say, but simply attempts to copy the program files contained within the zip over your already installed files. Hence the reason why you need an existing installation, because nothing get installed, no settings are created, etc. It would work more or less for now, but as soon as an update is present, this wont do you any good anymore.

2) In case you perform step 2 from the readme file and you're not carefull, "crap" can still be installed.

3) This will not update/install the Plus! virtual cam driver. Which may lead to all kinds of unexpected problems.

4) Less important, but still. This will not update/install the additional sounds or other possible media.

;)
RE: RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by DJVG on 03-24-2013 at 04:54 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DJVG
The hell with it: http://www.djvg.net/dl/pluswithoutadwarecrap.zip

No, it wont work on all OSs.

Mosty because you hard coded the installation paths in that batch file.
Since you need an existing installation, it is quite easy (and very recommended) to
1) check if there is an existing installation to begin with

2) get the user's installation paths from Skype and Plus! from the registry.
See how in my decryptAll.bat and encryptAll.bat command line tools for mass decryption/encryption of Plus! logs

3) The virtual cam driver will not be "updated" by doing all this, since it it not located in the installation path of Plus! but in the driver repository of Windows.

4) You forgot the include the sounds. (but again, those are not installed in the installation path, but rather in the users application data repository)

5) The 'settings' map contains the Plus!Network installer.

In other words, there is much more to it to let it (propery) work than simply overwriting files in the installation map!!!

;-)

----

Notes to others:

1) Note that this will not "install the latest" version per say, but simply attempts to copy the program files contained within the zip over your already installed files. Hence the reason why you need an existing installation, because nothing get installed, no settings are created, etc. Also, as soon as an update is present, this wont do you any good.

2) In case you perform step 2 from the readme file and you're not carefull, "crap" can still be installed.

3) This will not update/install the Plus! virtual cam driver. Which may lead to all kinds of unexpected problems.

4) This will not update/install the additional sounds.

;)

Yeah your right, i've removed it!

Thanks for your information!
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 03-24-2013 at 06:24 PM

In theory you can make your own installer though. In a nutshell by:
1) Checking latest version number (use the Update URLs for that)
2) Use that number to create the proper URL to download all the needed packages from the Plus! servers.
3) Install all those packages by unpacking and then copying the files to their proper maps, and others by initiating the proper installer (like the virtual webcam driver).

Of course, more specific checks need to be done, like checking of the current installed version, the used paths, etc...
It's certainly not impossible (though it would be against the terms of usage I suppose) but it requires some serious checking and all and it does have caveats. For example, if they change the Update URLs or the URLs of the packages (or the amount packages) your installer wont work anymore.

---

A better (and much easier) possibility is to use the still existing /destination and /silent command line parameters.

Execute the setup with the /Silent command line parameter.
A different installation path can be specified with the /destination parameter if you wish to do so.
eg: PlusSkypeSetup.exe /Silent /Destination=C:\PlusSkype

(small downside is that you can't select the default language.... but that could be solved by setting the proper language either in the preferences of Plus! or either directly in the registry)

;-)

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by viksra on 03-27-2013 at 07:27 PM

Where is Messenger Plus' official response to this matter?

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by a.smith on 03-27-2013 at 07:32 PM

Just registered to tell Yuna to get bent.

tl;dr - I'm not installing this, and by the looks of it, neither is anyone else...

Let me guess, in the next version you won't even ask the user to pick one, just install all 3... (Ironically, like you used to.)

Will be interesting to see your reports in 6 months time, from the massive userbase, to a handful of point and clickers that just update aimlessly, no willing user would happily want to use any of the software you compile with Plus! for the following reasons.

Toolbars, why? How does it benefit me?
Make it my default search engine? Not heard of google?
Make it my homepage? Again, why? What benefits does it bring?

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by duck! on 03-29-2013 at 02:36 AM

It's so sad to see Messenger Plus! reduced to this. The days when this forum got excited about new versions are well and truly over. People are probably dreading the next version as they seem to be hitting new lows all the time now.

At least they haven't come through on the promise of a new forum though. That would've killed the little fan base they have left.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by YottabyteWizard on 04-09-2013 at 07:04 AM

I got inactive from the forums for some time now, and after the notice about WLM being shutdown I came back to at least know what happened to the good old piece of software Plus! once was (even though I don't use it anymore since Yuna released their 2-3 first version, or so)

It's a pity to see what Yuna became... looks to me if Plus was going to die at a certain moment, Yuna is just killing it faster than I expected.

It was a pleasure to know you guys, much of the users I met here are really helpful and friendly, this was fun. So nice to meet you people.

What I just don't understand is... wth is wrong with Yuna ? Looks like there's nobody actually following the releases nor installing it anymore, why on earth are they making it worst?

RIP Plus.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Nathalie on 04-23-2013 at 08:28 AM

You can use this link  to install Messenger Plus! (for Skype) without the toolbar or any other offer   

http://goo.gl/O0nXL

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-23-2013 at 09:49 AM

quote:
You can use this link  to install Messenger Plus! (for Skype) without the toolbar or any other offer   

Thanks.

------------

Note to others: be carefull, this installer does not have a specific "accept & install" button!

As soon as you click the "Next" button, Plus! will be installed without any second confirmation. :-/
This because the second screen, with the "accept & install" button, is simply skipped.

(you can't expect them to do everything right... even something as simple as renaming a button, right?)
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 04-24-2013 at 02:16 AM

And as I mentioned above,

quote:
FYI, the ad-ware components do not work at all under Windows XP, they do not get installed regardless of what checkboxes are selected.
I ran the installer a bunch of times through a VM, and not once was there any trace of toolbars or any other adware related tools anywhere. I used a system diff tool (WhatChanged) to do an inspection and found zero extras being added.
RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-24-2013 at 11:20 AM

quote:
And as I mentioned above,
quote:
I ran the installer a bunch of times through a VM, and not once was there any trace of toolbars or any other adware related tools anywhere. I used a system diff tool (WhatChanged) to do an inspection and found zero extras being added.
Not correct.
There are plenty of traces.
The smartbar for example IS installed, using Windows XP SP3.
However, it does not seem to work on MSIE 8 on this test machine, but stuff gets clearly installed nontheless.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 04-25-2013 at 01:19 AM

quote:
Not correct.
There are plenty of traces.
The smartbar for example IS installed, using Windows XP SP3.
However, it does not seem to work on MSIE 8 on this test machine, but stuff gets clearly installed nontheless.
Have a look for yourself if you like:
http://www.meetcweb.com/?dir=whatchanged/
I have XP Pro SP3, IE 8 and Chrome 25.0.1364.172 m as downloaded on the day I did the tests back in march.
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-25-2013 at 01:37 PM

Well maybe Whatchanged isn't working correctly (personally, I never trusted such apps anyways and always found that they always miss many things).

Plus, I see in that file list that you have something like Microsoft Antimalware installed and running. I don't know exactly how it is related or if it is an influence, but it might be that this has blocked the actual installation of the Smartbar(?). Either way, it clearly tells me that your test install wasn't a clean uninfluenced install, otherwise those specific file changes wouldn't be there to begin with.

I also don't see any temporary files created by the installer in that file list (and there should be plenty). This is one of those things that such tools like Whatchanged never seem to be able to catch. Another thing they often tend to miss are changed files (especially byte by byte changes without changing the filesize). And thus why I almost never use them; you miss quite a lot.

Anyways, on my test install, using real-time monitoring software (not snapshots), I can clearly see several processes and services being started up by the installer (besides the normal expected Plus!-installation stuff that is). Processes which in turn install the Smartbar, change Windows settings, etc. And the Smartbar is definitely installed afterwards (+-20MB on files and data for the Smartbar alone). I don't have Chrome installed though, so it is not my default browser, maybe that is the reason(?).

Either way, stating that the ad-ware components never get installed in XP, is therefor not quite correct.

EDIT: Another big downside of some tools like Whatchanged is that they sometimes can only track 1 process at a time, or only processes started in a very specific way. But the Smartbar installation (and other crap) is done by secondary processes. I don't know if Whatchanged is indeed such a limited tool (although I doubt it, but it is possible), but this might explain why there is no single trace of those additional things in your logs.

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 04-25-2013 at 03:34 PM

It does a before and after scan, nothing during or realtime

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by olivex on 04-27-2013 at 11:49 AM

So now we have an ad-free version anyway?

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-27-2013 at 01:46 PM

quote:
yes...

quote:
quote:

Thanks.

------------

Note to others: be carefull, this installer does not have a specific "accept & install" button!

As soon as you click the "Next" button, Plus! will be installed without any second confirmation. :-/
This because the second screen, with the "accept & install" button, is simply skipped.

(you can't expect them to do everything right... even something as simple as renaming a button, right?)

RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by olivex on 04-28-2013 at 09:38 AM

quote:
quote:
yes...

quote:
quote:

Thanks.

------------

Yes I noticed the installation step jumps from 1 to 3 directly :D
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by olivex on 05-23-2013 at 08:16 PM

So how about build 125? Still ad hijacked?

RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus! by Arcticwolfx on 06-16-2013 at 12:33 PM

All good things must come to an end.

I like Google Hangouts

No ad-ware on my Samsung smartphone using Hangouts, What'sApp, Viber and IM+ Pro!

PS.: The following is somewhat of a rant:
Aside from having lost my interest in Messenger Plus! a long time ago, I'm also losing my interest in Skype due to it being taken over by Microsoft, and since then poorly (or not at all) updated. Even the "Messenger" integration in Skype is a disaster.

It looks to me that all they've done is set the Messenger servers to only accept log in from official Skype client, which in turn simply logs in both Messenger and Skype once your accounts are "linked."
On top of that, the "linking" works poorly. Logging in with Microsoft account will load both Messenger and Skype contacts, logging in with Skype account will only load Skype contacts. 

This makes it significantly harder for Mobile messenger apps to support Messenger in Skype. IM+ Pro was one of the first third party apps with support for logging in with your Microsoft account, however they do not have access to load your Messenger contacts regardless.