Shoutbox

the old days... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: Open Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: the old days... (/showthread.php?tid=100416)

the old days... by kaiconan on 09-16-2016 at 10:04 PM

Really miss the old days about the Messenger Plus! live, however, time goes as fast as what we think.

Anyone remember here anymore? or just in memories?

I miss MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger. what about you?

RE: the old days... by Menthix on 09-17-2016 at 05:28 PM

I miss the entire era that came with it sometimes. Not specifically the software, but that is what connected it all...

https://www.facebook.com/officialmsnmemories/ nails it.

The going home from school an "We'll talk on MSN". Spending the rest of the day on there until deep in the night. Teenage drama, talking behind people's back in group chats, passive aggressive blocks, spamming sign-in notifications, making friends around the world. As snapchat may be for some of the current youth, MSN shaped my teenage years. I'm in my 30s now, times are different. But I have a lot of fine memories around it, which is also why I wanted to keep the forum archive around.

RE: the old days... by SmokingCookie on 09-22-2016 at 05:11 PM

Seconded. I learned programming (well, scripting) using MP!L.

I'm glad Menthix is keeping the forum up! Like I said in the shoutbox, I recently rediscovered this archive.

Out of curiosity: does anyone know what happened to Yuna? msgpluslive.net is still up, but slow AF and there doesn't seem to be much going on lately.

Edit: and I bloody HATE Skype :\

Second edit: Menthix, do email notifications of topic replies (i.e. this thread) still work?

RE: the old days... by ahmetgns on 09-27-2016 at 03:20 PM

Thired. Last week I installed Skype and then MP! for Skype and realized that some of the Plus! features are available after you purchase a licence, $9,95.

Also it is interesting that Apple have recently brought full-screen animation or emoji-suggestive keyboard for what you type in Messages app, with iOS 10 update, which are all MSN features available 10 years ago,

RE: the old days... by Menthix on 09-27-2016 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SmokingCookie
Out of curiosity: does anyone know what happened to Yuna?
Seems the put out new Plus! for Skype versions until at least somewhere last year. But no idea if it it still functions on current Skype. As far as it was ever functional. Whichever parent company currently owns it probably keeps the servers running for some change money.

INSTA-EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Last week I installed Skype and then MP! for Skype and realized that some of the Plus! features are available after you purchase a licence, $9,95.
Hah! Guess it still "functions"then.

quote:
, do email notifications of topic replies (i.e. this thread) still work?
Not sure, I think it should.
RE: the old days... by SmokingCookie on 09-29-2016 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Thired. Last week I installed Skype and then MP! for Skype and realized that some of the Plus! features are available after you purchase a licence, $9,95.

That's ridiculous :\

quote:
Also it is interesting that Apple have recently brought full-screen animation or emoji-suggestive keyboard for what you type in Messages app, with iOS 10 update, which are all MSN features available 10 years ago,

lol :P

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Out of curiosity: does anyone know what happened to Yuna?
Seems the put out new Plus! for Skype versions until at least somewhere last year. But no idea if it it still functions on current Skype. As far as it was ever functional. Whichever parent company currently owns it probably keeps the servers running for some change money.

So, this scam brings in enough money to keep the servers on apparently?

quote:
quote:
, do email notifications of topic replies (i.e. this thread) still work?
Not sure, I think it should.

Can confirm: not :P didn't get any email notification of this. Do you see any chance to get them to work? Or would that be too much effort for almost nobody? :P

(edit: damn formatting, I've grown used to reddit :P )
RE: the old days... by Menthix on 09-29-2016 at 05:58 PM

quote:
So, this scam brings in enough money to keep the servers on apparently?
Less users if less server cost. Hell, they could be running it on a VPS for all I know. Mess.be is still around too, hosting is cheap.

quote:
Do you see any chance to get them to work? Or would that be too much effort for almost nobody?
I'll make a mental not to maybe look into it someday when the planets align and stuff :p
RE: the old days... by SmokingCookie on 09-30-2016 at 01:33 PM

quote:
quote:
Do you see any chance to get them to work? Or would that be too much effort for almost nobody?
I'll make a mental not to maybe look into it someday when the planets align and stuff :p

Lol, I got the hint :P

Speaking of cheap hosting, I recently-ish found that http://msnpiki.msnfanatic.com/ is down :S
RE: the old days... by kenichi on 10-07-2016 at 11:47 PM

mhm.. sucks how time flys and everything disappears

RE: the old days... by Dane on 10-16-2016 at 04:11 AM

But http://www.mess.be is still "up".

RE: the old days... by andrey on 10-18-2016 at 05:16 PM

quote:
The going home from school an "We'll talk on MSN". Spending the rest of the day on there until deep in the night. Teenage drama, talking behind people's back in group chats, passive aggressive blocks, spamming sign-in notifications, making friends around the world. As snapchat may be for some of the current youth, MSN shaped my teenage years.
So so true. Dat nostalgia.

And here we are 10 years later, still waiting for custom emoticons in WhatsApp. Now we're stuck with emojis which can't convey half the emotions we could with MSN's emoticons.
MSN felt so much more "real". You had to put effort into it and sit down at your PC to chat - it felt like others were actually spending the afternoon with you, occasionally camming or playing a game. WhatsApp is casual, everyone is on the go or pretending to be, not replying to a conversation doesn't mean anything anymore. No excitement over a sign-in notification anymore. Status messages, profile pictures, now playing were all prominent, meaningful and more part of the conversation.
RE: the old days... by Tochjo on 10-18-2016 at 05:40 PM

quote:
I miss the entire era that came with it sometimes. Not specifically the software, but that is what connected it all...

The going home from school an "We'll talk on MSN". Spending the rest of the day on there until deep in the night. Teenage drama, talking behind people's back in group chats, passive aggressive blocks, spamming sign-in notifications, making friends around the world. As snapchat may be for some of the current youth, MSN shaped my teenage years. I'm in my 30s now, times are different. But I have a lot of fine memories around it, which is also why I wanted to keep the forum archive around.

:stupid:

It's like yesterday that I spent entire evenings behind the computer, talking to people on MSN Messenger. Even replying to a thread on this forum brings back memories of those days. Indeed, nostalgia probably describes the feeling best, andrey. It makes me somewhat sad to realise those times are never coming back.

Of course, I've had great new times as well since then, being grown up and all. I can now actually afford to pay for stuff like software :o! I've been a high school teacher for over five years now, years in which I've realised how much has changed in the past fifteen years. As the Facebook page Menthix' links to above shows, kids today have completely different lives. In turn, our lives were far different than those of kids fifteen years before. And I'm sure things will be completely different again fifteen years from now.

So, who knows whatever happened to [Image: wdz.gif]?
RE: the old days... by foaly on 10-18-2016 at 08:46 PM

Yeah, in the past everything was better, even the nostalgia ;)
I too loved MSN Messenger and everything that followed it, but seeing as we are all part of this site, we might havne a bit biased demographic.
The last time I thought back was when I got the new emoji in WhatsApp, stupid ugly emoji. Emoticons are a better set of pictures to use than all the unicode stuff we have now...

RE: the old days... by blessedguy on 10-18-2016 at 10:50 PM

In the old days, Plus! was a nice piece of sotware a lot of people accused of being a scam or malware. Things did change a bit.

RE: the old days... by SmokingCookie on 10-19-2016 at 08:03 AM

Heh, nowadays it is a scam and malware :P

However, I've found an old installer on archive.org

RE: the old days... by prashker on 10-19-2016 at 10:02 AM

I don't want to be forgotten

RE: the old days... by Dane on 10-21-2016 at 01:20 AM

quote:
Heh, nowadays it is a scam and malware :P

However, I've found an old installer on archive.org

Fairly certain I have a folder of Alphas, Betas and Releases on my External HD.
RE: the old days... by SmokingCookie on 10-21-2016 at 08:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
(snip)

Fairly certain I have a folder of Alphas, Betas and Releases on my External HD.

Sweeeet!
RE: the old days... by Mnjul on 11-22-2016 at 04:19 AM

Not until I read this thread do I know mess.be is still up... Anyway I think my chatting is split among LINE, Skype, and Facebook Messenger nowadays. Even though I kinda hate using Facebook but there *are* people who only have presence there.

But hell yeah! I don't chat online that much anymore. I'm now a married guy --- for over two and half years!

RE: the old days... by SmokingCookie on 11-22-2016 at 02:10 PM

Congrats sir!

RE: the old days... by Tochjo on 12-05-2016 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
I'm now a married guy --- for over two and half years!
:shocked:
Congratulations! (H)
RE: the old days... by Chrono on 12-09-2016 at 07:39 PM

:spam: :chrongue:

RE: the old days... by Dane on 01-06-2017 at 02:23 AM

Congratulations on the marriage!!

RE: the old days... by Wabz on 01-25-2017 at 05:09 PM

Certainly been a while since I ever posted on msgplus.  Was fantastic a lot of my computing knowledge and ideas came from this site and the IRC channel and I still remember :banana:

RE: the old days... by kaiconan on 01-28-2017 at 07:07 AM

Congratulations on the marriage too!!
I hope I can be that relationship too...

RE: the old days... by Kenji on 02-26-2017 at 08:32 PM

I miss this place tons. the period. the people. everything about it was great...

RE: the old days... by otto888 on 04-20-2017 at 04:02 AM

Oh wow. I was young when this place was still active. I still have great memories of those times, both on and off the forums.

RE: the old days... by Supersonicdarky on 05-07-2017 at 05:08 AM

Popping in to say hi! Been nearly a decade since I last posted, how quickly time flies. I remember being an active member here but slowly ceased activity after I switched to linux and had no use for plus anymore.

Nice seeing y'all

:spam:

RE: the old days... by mynetx on 05-11-2017 at 02:19 PM

Lots of stuff disappeared since these times – but the people behind, even if we’re having different lives these days – are still the same.

As hosting is cheap, so is cloud storage, by the way. I just took a look and found this …

[Image: Image%202017-05-11%20at%204.15.32%20PM.png]

And the Beta folder contains lots of stuff under NDA at the time.

This place is where I learnt proper JavaScript. Of course, the function-based callback approach in Plus! Scripts was basic compared to today's callbacks and promises. But at least the Codebird library, originating from the Tweet2PSM Plus! Script, still exists and is widely used.

Communication has changed. In times of Snapchat, FB Messenger and WhatsApp, who control it all, Messenger still feels like the good old refuge. Too bad that no one can resurrect it in a usable way.

Hey – someone should create a WLM skin for Skype and/or WhatsApp… :D

RE: RE: the old days... by SmokingCookie on 05-11-2017 at 02:55 PM

Hey mynetx! Long time no see :O

quote:
Originally posted by mynetx
Too bad that no one can resurrect it in a usable way.

Just a small project that I'm (getting) involved in: https://www.reddit.com/r/msnmessenger/comments/65...rivate_msn_server/
RE: RE: the old days... by Patchou on 05-11-2017 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Same here! My heart skipped a beat when I opened this page, everything still looks like it was so many years ago. Even my old Azumanga avatar/signature are there :D.

Imagine that: it's been 15+ years since the first version of Messenger Plus!, even more than that for Messenger itself. Still, I keep on seeing people getting excited on Facebook about new custom emoticon features... you'll see, one day they'll add sounds and it will be a grand new era of communication! ^o)

I hope you're all doing well. If you need anything, never hesitate to contact me. It's been a while but I still remember each and everyone of you, your bug reports, our long forum discussions at night, pages of text exchanged with Cookie and Menthix about anything and everything, wondering if WDZ was even a real person... time flies.

So, congrats on all of you who got married, had kids, found a job, started a new life, etc... if you travel near Montreal some day, text me and we'll drink to the good ol' days :)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1024247]
RE: the old days... by SmokingCookie on 05-11-2017 at 03:56 PM

The man himself has returned! How are you doing? :D What kind of stuff do you work on nowadays?

RE: the old days... by Patchou on 05-14-2017 at 06:09 PM

well, I'm taking care of two adorable little girls and I'm living north of Montreal, surrounded by trees, a wonderful wife, a barking dog and an old senile cat. I mostly do consulting jobs now, I'm even on TV in news/documentary programs from time to time! yes, the media is that desperate.

How about you? what's up in Dutch-Country? :)

RE: the old days... by SmokingCookie on 05-15-2017 at 11:24 AM

You're a dad now? Nice :) out of curiosity: does the cat cause doggo to bark? :P

I'm finishing up a big-ass project + thesis, which is the last thing I need to do in order to graduate in college :O

RE: the old days... by Patchou on 05-15-2017 at 03:17 PM

one 6 years old and one who's almost 5 :). And no, the dog just loves to bark at anything that moves in the garden.

What are your project/thesis about?

RE: the old days... by SmokingCookie on 05-16-2017 at 01:22 PM

Ah yes, I know random barking at anything doggo sees (or thinks he sees) or for no reason at all :P what kind of dog is it?

Part of the reason why I'm doing this project is a (in-)famous murder case in Deventer, NL where the prime suspect claimed to be 20-30 km away while his mobile was connected to a cell tower close to the crime scene; while that is not unheard of, I'm trying to assess the likelihood of that (though I'm not involved in the trial in any way - that's too much for me to handle :P ). What I'm mainly looking into is this: given that a phone was connected to a specific cell tower, where can said phone have been, based on historical data from www.opencellid.org/.

RE: the old days... by Mnjul on 05-16-2017 at 02:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I miss the entire era that came with it [Image: attachment.php?pid=1024247]

Wow --- I'm not in that pic! Probably was spending too long time deciding which style of characters I should be using (and missed the deadline somehow).
RE: the old days... by Patchou on 05-19-2017 at 03:26 AM

don't worry Mnjul, you're still in my mind anyway, just like every other pillar of the product :)

RE: the old days... by Supersonicdarky on 05-22-2017 at 02:49 PM

Heh, my name was so aesthetically pleasing back then.

Nice to see patchy is still alive :D

RE: the old days... by Chrono on 09-26-2017 at 02:04 AM

* Chrono slaps patchou around a bit with a large trout.

RE: the old days... by Mnjul on 10-09-2017 at 06:42 AM

* Mnjul slaps Chrono around a bit with a large trout.

RE: the old days... by Joa on 03-12-2018 at 01:30 AM

* Joa slaps everybody around a bit with a large trout.

RE: the old days... by prashker on 04-09-2018 at 03:25 AM

spamming outside of T&T, that's my job :zippy:

RE: the old days... by mezzanine on 04-14-2018 at 07:51 PM

* mezzanine slaps prashker around a bit with a large trout.

RE: the old days... by Hun_Norberto on 05-22-2018 at 11:19 PM

Oh hey, just rediscovered this forum after 5 years... I remember wanting to remake WLM and actually, I got fairly far (made a program with the same layout in C# that had encrypted storage and mostly peer-to-peer communication), but it was a mess. I kinda want to do it again now that I know much more. :P

Also, I really miss these emoticons, are they free to use? Like, could I ever get in legal trouble for using it in an application or something? (I did use some of WLM's assets in my program back then but I deleted those later when I published it (again)).

RE: the old days... by traxor on 06-02-2018 at 02:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hun_Norberto
Also, I really miss these emoticons, are they free to use? Like, could I ever get in legal trouble for using it in an application or something? (I did use some of WLM's assets in my program back then but I deleted those later when I published it (again)).

Your best bet is to just use emoji. They’re unicode.
RE: RE: the old days... by x2zen on 04-07-2019 at 10:18 PM

quote:

I wholeheartedly agree with this.
RE: the old days... by felipEx on 04-14-2019 at 10:46 PM

:wave:

RE: the old days... by Mnjul on 04-15-2019 at 12:33 AM

* Mnjul slaps everyone around a bit with a large trout.

RE: the old days... by Chrono on 04-20-2019 at 04:27 PM

* Chrono slaps Mnjul around a bit with a large trout.

RE: the old days... by Joa on 06-03-2019 at 01:42 AM

* Joa slaps mnjul around a bit with a large trout.

How did we all get so old? :refuck:

RE: the old days... by YottabyteWizard on 06-25-2019 at 10:43 PM

Wow 50 replies and 0 views, and my account still exists! D:

RE: the old days... by aNILEator on 06-26-2019 at 09:40 AM

*blinks*

RE: the old days... by Mnjul on 07-06-2019 at 09:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
* Joa slaps mnjul  around a bit with a large trout.

I recently have needed to go to a physical therapist and wondered the same question.
RE: the old days... by Kenji on 09-18-2019 at 07:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
* Joa slaps mnjul  around a bit with a large trout.

I've just realised that I was 14 when I joined this place.. i'll be 28 soon.. thats half my life... o_o

.....and it still feels like it was all a couple of years ago. :/
RE: the old days... by Tochjo on 09-29-2019 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kenji
I've just realised that I was 14 when I joined this place.. i'll be 28 soon.. thats half my life... o_o
Just did some basic maths to entertain myself: in 38 days I will have been a member of this forum for exactly half my life [Image: banana_cool.gif]

Too bad there's hardly anyone left to congratulate me :lol:
RE: the old days... by RebelSean on 10-14-2019 at 09:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
Just did some basic maths to entertain myself: in 38 days I will have been a member of this forum for exactly half my life [Image: banana_cool.gif]

Congrats!
RE: RE: the old days... by YottabyteWizard on 10-17-2019 at 11:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:

Happy half life !
RE: the old days... by Chrono on 10-19-2019 at 08:54 PM

Speaking of which, i don't know if you noticed that Joa had this on her profile:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1024298]

i can't believe 12 years passed :lol: And technically she did come back, even if for a few days. Well done Joa, well done

RE: the old days... by Mnjul on 10-22-2019 at 05:42 AM

* Mnjul is still waiting for his world to be taken by Joa.

RE: the old days... by Kenji on 04-16-2020 at 04:40 PM

Remember when we could go outside, but stayed indoors on our PC all day?

RE: the old days... by Joa on 08-21-2020 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Speaking of which, i don't know if you noticed that Joa had this on her profile:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1024298]

i can't believe 12 years passed :lol: And technically she did come back, even if for a few days. Well done Joa, well done
Bah.... I'm so old :zippy:

My plans were stalled by stuff and things. I haven't given up taking over. I'm still in full control of my destiny as a world owner

RE: the old days... by Omar on 08-27-2020 at 08:30 PM

wow.... this thread brings back memories