Shoutbox

The rules... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: The rules... (/showthread.php?tid=11907)

The rules... by billywoods1 on 06-25-2003 at 05:03 PM

Hey admins... just wondering about the rules a tiny bit... I've just looked at them and seen that they're a bit stupid in places...

quote:
Spam: Any post that is off-topic or contributes nothing useful or interesting to a discussion is considered to be spam. Most spam posts will be moved or deleted. Spam includes posts that:
- only contain emoticons.
- only contain a short message, such as "LOL" or "hello."
- are posted more than once.

The one-emoticon messages, although sometimes pointless, seem to be useful at times, e.g. ':lol:' for your appreciation for a joke... and even the admins/mods do this.

"Short messages", such as 'Hi!' or "Hello." are practically all you can do in 'introduce yourself' or 'new member' threads...

Messages posted more than once, would you believe, I can argue too! My computer, and indubitably others too, sometimes post messages twice, or if I think my computer didn't recognise the click (which often happens) and really the status bar's just frozen, I wait a bit and click it again, and it posts twice. It has happened - not often, but it's happened.

quote:
Text Style: Posts should be typed so that others can understand them. Use of ALL CAPITALS, aLtErNaTe capitalization, abbreviations, or misspelled words is discouraged.

Abbreviations? Misspelled words? Come on! Most of us (and you) can't spell anyway!

quote:
Subjects: The subject line of a thread should be descriptive, not something like "I need help." If a certain subject has already been discussed, making a new thread about it is discouraged. Please browse or search the forums before posting a thread.

Doesn't it seem like these are the ones that get the most views? I'm not saying it's a bad rule, but still, it's pretty useless since they're the most often posted and viewed.

quote:
Respect: Members should respect others, and avoid making derogatory comments or giving rude treatment (flaming, for example). Also respect the privacy of others, and don't share their personal information without permission.

Such as those people merely asking 'what's so great about Messenger Plus'? There have been a few and it seems like my post is the only one not insulting them or assuming they're mad or something... and I have OCCASIONALLY noticed one or two of the admins/mods doing just that...

quote:
Avatars & Signatures: Images that have large dimensions or file sizes are not allowed. The rules for posts apply to avatars/signatures as well.

Large dimensions compared to what? I personally use 640x480 (yes, laugh, I don't care, my computer's stuck in it :P) and so some signatures take up nearly a whole screen (e.g. Muss's) and some avatars are just as bad, because a huge avatar means the whole left panel is that size.

Sorry I couldn't follow these up with examples... I just happened to notice it now.

(And in case you didn't realise... some are saying the rules are stupid, but some are just saying how they're never obeyed.)
RE: The rules... by Mippo on 06-25-2003 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
quote:
Subjects: The subject line of a thread should be descriptive, not something like "I need help." If a certain subject has already been discussed, making a new thread about it is discouraged. Please browse or search the forums before posting a thread.

Doesn't it seem like these are the ones that get the most views? I'm not saying it's a bad rule, but still, it's pretty useless since they're the most often posted and viewed.

They are most viewed because everyone wants to know what the thread is about, and they can't see it in the subject line :rolleyes:
RE: The rules... by billywoods1 on 06-25-2003 at 05:18 PM

Still, I'm right... :gfdrin:

RE: The rules... by Wabz on 06-25-2003 at 05:34 PM

The rules were created to stop people going insane it winds me up something rotten to see badly written threads.  At least this way it makes it far easier for the members who frequent here to read through threads help and just generally chat

RE: The rules... by billywoods1 on 06-25-2003 at 06:57 PM

So you agree with the rule that says 'bad spelling and abbreviation are discouraged'?

RE: The rules... by Wabz on 06-25-2003 at 07:04 PM

I agree with the rules being there as a standard for the board but it's known that they should only be loosly followed dont take them too seriously and it'll be fine

RE: The rules... by Vazza on 06-25-2003 at 08:28 PM

This board without rules would be (in my own opinion) be utter chaos.

RE: The rules... by Captain Canada on 06-25-2003 at 08:48 PM

Isn't it weird that none of the mods or admins have responded to billy's comment.  :S :lol:

RE: The rules... by Wabz on 06-25-2003 at 08:48 PM

:bow: these rules are here to stay soo you have two choices like them or leave :refuck:

RE: The rules... by dom. on 06-25-2003 at 08:49 PM

Billeh was bored.. :gfdrin:

RE: The rules... by WDZ on 06-25-2003 at 10:28 PM

:@

You have a problem with almost every one of my rules... would you like to write them yourself? :rolleyes:

RE: The rules... by pablotossi on 06-25-2003 at 10:35 PM

wdz anger?????
noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

RE: The rules... by Captain Canada on 06-25-2003 at 10:46 PM

I think Billy was just trying to have some fun with you DZ.  Don't take it seriously.

RE: The rules... by musicalmidget on 06-25-2003 at 10:54 PM

quote:
quote:
Spam: Any post that is off-topic or contributes nothing useful or interesting to a discussion is considered to be spam. Most spam posts will be moved or deleted. Spam includes posts that:
- only contain emoticons.
- only contain a short message, such as "LOL" or "hello."
- are posted more than once.

The one-emoticon messages, although sometimes pointless, seem to be useful at times, e.g. ':lol:' for your appreciation for a joke... and even the admins/mods do this.

Well, I agree with you here, because I and many other people do this alot, especially with the :lol:, :blah!: or :refuck: emoticons.  Other than that however, I don't see a problem with the rules and don't see any of your points as valid.

For example...

quote:
Messages posted more than once, would you believe, I can argue too! My computer, and indubitably others too, sometimes post messages twice, or if I think my computer didn't recognise the click (which often happens) and really the status bar's just frozen, I wait a bit and click it again, and it posts twice. It has happened - not often, but it's happened.

There is such a thing as the "delete" option.  You can delete posts, so if you double post the same thing you can go back and delete it.

Also...

quote:
"Short messages", such as 'Hi!' or "Hello." are practically all you can do in 'introduce yourself' or 'new member' threads...

I suppose technically there shouldn't be any new member threads.  There is one thread in the General forum for introductions and that is it, so any other introductions shouldn't be there.

In short, I just don't agree with you, other than on the first point I made.  I think the rules are well written and should be followed without any further complaints.

That's just my opinion.
RE: RE: The rules... by WDZ on 06-26-2003 at 12:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pablotossi
wdz anger?????
noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

I'm in a bad mood, because it's 80°F (27°C) outside, the humidity is 78%, my computer has problems, there's tons of forum posts to read, and I have other work to do.

:wall:
RE: RE: RE: The rules... by s7a5 on 06-26-2003 at 12:51 AM

I'm in a bad mood, because it's 80°F (27°C) outside, the humidity is 78%, my computer has problems, there's tons of forum posts to read, and I have other work to do.

:wall:

uhhm..... what are moderators are here for...? :rolleyes:
RE: RE: RE: RE: The rules... by WDZ on 06-26-2003 at 01:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stas
uhhm..... what are moderators are here for...? :rolleyes:

They moderate posts.

What does that have to do with my post? :p
RE: The rules... by s7a5 on 06-26-2003 at 01:55 AM

well u seem only one moderating them and moving to T&T:P

RE: The rules... by Muss on 06-26-2003 at 02:54 AM

A mods comment on billy's post

What an utter load of crap.

You are reading far to far intot eh rules, they are guidelines, and you just went out of your way to be a pain :S

RE: The rules... by D:Frag on 06-26-2003 at 07:07 AM

I disagree with all billywoods points... and agree with KB's points.

Everything's said. End of discussion.

RE: SPAMMING RULES... by D:Frag on 06-26-2003 at 07:24 AM

quote:

Abbreviations? Misspelled words? Come on! Most of us (and you) can't spell anyway!

Such as those people merely asking 'what's so great about Messenger Plus'? There have been a few and it seems like my post is the only one not insulting them or assuming they're mad or something... and I have OCCASIONALLY noticed one or two of the admins/mods doing just that...

Large dimensions compared to what? I personally use 640x480 (yes, laugh, I don't care, my computer's stuck in it :P) and so some signatures take up nearly a whole screen (e.g. Muss's) and some avatars are just as bad, because a huge avatar means the whole left panel is that size.

(And in case you didn't realise... some are saying the rules are stupid, but some are just saying how they're never obeyed.)

Darn... those are good spamming suggestions, good work, Billy :D now, go to sit on t&t until you learn the rulez :P
RE: RE: SPAMMING RULES... by Wabz on 06-26-2003 at 08:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D:Frag
quote:

Darn... those are good spamming suggestions, good work, Billy :D now, go to sit on t&t until you learn the rulez :P

T&T :banana: wonder if DFRAG realised he was spamming making two posts in a row :rolleyes:
RE: The rules... by EvilSeph on 06-26-2003 at 02:21 PM

WDZ has written and put rules in effect to make the forums more organised and lessen the spam and un-necessary posts.

If you think the rules are stupid, then why are you here? if you cannot contend to the expectations of this community then you should leave or stop questioning the rules of this community. Oh and btw those rules that WDZ wrote, are general forum rules, they are the rules that excist in almost every forum.

Rules are EVERYWHERE, the law is/are rules and yet, i don't hear you complaining about them? Surely you think some of the rules are stupid? If so, why don't you complain about them? why? because you will get into trouble, whereas here, you think you will not, but considering you have successfully pissed off an admin, irritated a mod and roused some of the high posting members, you are not far away from trouble.

It pisses me off to see so many users revoking against this community, first the idiotic (smart-seeming) posts against the sponsor program, WHICH i must add, Patchou has FULL rights to do so if he chooses, to be honest he may even choose to stop producing Messenger Plus! and you wouldn't be able to do a THING about it.

Now this, a user complaining about the rules. Completely unacceptable and un-needed. The rules are well written and need little-to-no adjustment what so ever. If you think the picture dimension rule applies mainly to you, and your screen size would matter the most, think again. There was no need to go and argue about these rules, rules are made to FOLLOW, NOT BREAK. All you are being is an annoying user, whom will not be liked by many of the staff members if you continue making posts such as this one.

Regards,
EvilSeph

RE: The rules... by Hova on 06-26-2003 at 03:10 PM

He is allowed to post an opinion you know ;)

RE: The rules... by EvilSeph on 06-26-2003 at 03:35 PM

yes indeed, but considering he just shunted almost all the rules, he is technically stating he doesn't want rules.

RE: The rules... by billywoods1 on 06-26-2003 at 07:37 PM

Don't you see what I mean yet?

D:Frag has already broken one of the rules...

Most of you have broken another one by making these 'derogatory' comments.

And D:Frag, I had (and have) no problem with the rules. They're just unclear ("not enforced as strictly in Testing and Trashing"), ignored (the two posts in a row one, as already demonstrated, thanks to you :gfdrin:) or plain stupid (no bad spelling). I have always (I think) adhered to the rules, even though I'd never read them until yesterday-ish.

And Muss: you just don't like me anyway. :rolleyes:

(By the way: thanks for the support, GFD :gfdrin:)

RE: RE: The rules... by WDZ on 06-26-2003 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
If you think the rules are stupid, then why are you here? if you cannot contend to the expectations of this community then you should leave or stop questioning the rules of this community.

You know, the rules really aren't that great. If someone thinks they can be improved, they're welcome to post suggestions.

I just wish someone would re-write the "unclear" points for me, because I don't know how to word them. :p
RE: The rules... by Hova on 06-26-2003 at 10:20 PM

Some of the rules could be expanded more, to express the nature of them. and to point at them when someone goes against it. I think its a good start, but additions to it would do the forum a lot more justice :)