Shoutbox

New MSN6 layout - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: New MSN6 layout (/showthread.php?tid=11975)

New MSN6 layout by [white]shark on 06-28-2003 at 04:52 PM

Hi everyone,

I don't know if what I'm about to say is already known in the community, but the fancy new layout MS implemented in MSN6 is scripted. They quickly put together an easy syntax, and added plain text files as resources to the executable (partially XML). This may become a new hobby for some, because one is able to completely (and I mean completely) change the look of conversation windows (and possibly the main window). A new form of skinning could be born :happy:.

Neway, enjoy and for those who are curious, take a look (but don't break anything).

Greetz

PS. I found this thx to a friend of mine, so I take no credit whatsoever...

RE: New MSN6 layout by tomfletcherman on 06-28-2003 at 06:17 PM

whers the xml sheet 4 convo windows? i kno all about tabs but nuthing else

RE: New MSN6 layout by Wabz on 06-29-2003 at 07:26 PM

Theres a lot of cool tricks to be done with MSN 6 scripting it's quite good fun most things can customisied very easily

RE: New MSN6 layout by lylesback2 on 06-30-2003 at 01:09 AM

HAH like that sad attampt over at xhaust, or whatever, he made that msn Xp 6 skin or whatever.  but what he forgot to do, is tell people that the windows don't actually look like that, you gotta get your own backround, lol, and go threw all the contacts and change'em... very lame.  but if someone could come up with an idea to change all the IM windows at once, i think they'd get more people trying to get there source code ;)

RE: New MSN6 layout by audio_pirate on 06-30-2003 at 01:22 AM

Let me know when someone comes up with something, im keen to sample

RE: New MSN6 layout by tomfletcherman on 07-01-2003 at 06:50 PM

how do i modify chat windwos with it. i hav only foudn 1 .xml file 4 msn 6 so im guessing its part of teh .exe 2 change chat windows. if so, how do i open it so i can modfiy it?

RE: New MSN6 layout by BooGhost on 07-01-2003 at 06:56 PM

the .xml?  well notepad is good :P

RE: New MSN6 layout by Guido on 07-01-2003 at 07:30 PM

First, the xp skin doesn't change any xml, just images.

Second, you can change the bg for all default windows at once through the menus in the contact list.

RE: New MSN6 layout by MorPh on 07-01-2003 at 08:29 PM

Awsome!!

RE: New MSN6 layout by [white]shark on 07-01-2003 at 09:17 PM

Okay, a little more information then, since people seem to be confused.

The script (one of several) resides in the executable (that is "msnmsgr.exe").
- It is a plain text file, having the word "ui" in the resource identifier.
- It contains XML and an MS UI script.
- It contains the full layout of the chat windows (and possibly others, I haven't checked it out completely yet).
- thus: It allows users (or programmers for that matter) to change the look & feel of chat windows (and others?). For example: stretch the avatar and re-arrange the buttons.
- It relies upon a .tlb and a .dll (both ui-related) that handle some part or every part of ui design, skin loading (images and script), skin drawing, skin callbacks, I don't know.

Please, don't start asking to much questions, I don't know anything yet because I haven't examined it for myself yet. For those that know something about resources, get yourself a resource editor (www.google.com) and look for the file.

The script is easy and mostly self-explanatory, so have fun.

Greetz

RE: New MSN6 layout by dom. on 07-01-2003 at 09:51 PM

sweeeeeeeeet

RE: New MSN6 layout by Guido on 07-01-2003 at 10:24 PM

Thanks Whiteshark. I knew it used xml for the "skinning" of the convos, but i didn't think about it enough to realise that we could edit that xml :P

RE: New MSN6 layout by musicalmidget on 07-01-2003 at 10:29 PM

* musicalmidget thinks that GFD is probably working on a new skin right now after making that little discovery. :P

RE: RE: New MSN6 layout by Guido on 07-01-2003 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
* musicalmidget thinks that GFD is probably working on a new skin right now after making that little discovery. :P

Heh, you are wrong :wink:

I didn't even check the xml yet :tongue:
RE: New MSN6 layout by musicalmidget on 07-01-2003 at 11:13 PM

:blah!:

I re-phrase my last comment:

* musicalmidget thinks that GFD will probably start working on a new skin very soon after making this little discovery.

:wink: :refuck:

RE: New MSN6 layout by Guido on 07-01-2003 at 11:29 PM

hmm i should rephrase it again

* Guido should have to start working on a new skin because, now that he has found out about this little discovery, musicalmidget wants gfd to work :refuck:

RE: New MSN6 layout by Tandy on 07-02-2003 at 01:15 AM

yeah ive already got a skin for msn 6

obviously they wrote their own script

looks good

RE: New MSN6 layout by Guido on 07-02-2003 at 02:09 AM

And that skin is...? Post a link :dodgy:

RE: New MSN6 layout by Tandy on 07-02-2003 at 02:14 AM

its on mess.be

on the news, scroll down a bit

RE: RE: New MSN6 layout by Guido on 07-02-2003 at 02:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tandy
its on mess.be

on the news, scroll down a bit

this one?

If that's the one, they didn't do any scripts :rolleyes:

They just changed some bitmaps inside messenger's exe.

Btw, imho, that's the ugliest skin i've seen in my life for msn msgr :P
RE: New MSN6 layout by Tandy on 07-02-2003 at 02:44 AM

i know but its the only one i have seen

if anyone's got anymore post them

this is is pretty bad

RE: New MSN6 layout by Guido on 07-02-2003 at 03:04 AM

Well i like the original enough not to use anything, but i *might* consider making one

RE: New MSN6 layout by BooGhost on 07-02-2003 at 04:37 AM

I've made 2........ one based on the L&H mod and other on Tandy's one........ but I don't know where to upload them :S

RE: New MSN6 layout by BooGhost on 07-02-2003 at 05:25 AM

Well i figures it out by myself... still can't connect to lycos.nl but i made it to lycos.com ;)

The one based on LnH Messenger is here!
The one based in Tandy's one ishere... it actually only took some Butterflies..... the chat windows is almost the default one :D

I hope you like them........... Kenneth = BooGhost for ppl who downloads them :P

RE: New MSN6 layout by dom. on 07-02-2003 at 06:24 AM

http://bg_avatar_7.tripod.com/adm/interstitial/remote.html
-----------------------------------

This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy.

Stupid thingeh!! :cry:

RE: New MSN6 layout by Tandy on 07-02-2003 at 06:33 AM

dont work

oh well

is it hard to make them

resource hacker?

RE: New MSN6 layout by [white]shark on 07-02-2003 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Btw, imho, that's the ugliest skin i've seen in my life for msn msgr :tongue:.

Nice :happy:.

BTW, I've mistaken, it is not XML (are at least not valid), it is something they used as blueprint for a window, and it looks a lot like HTML (bracketed elements with attributes).

Little details about "skin editing":
NEway, I'm not going to explain the workings of any resource hacker, so here is probably what you would want to do next:
- Look for a resource editor/hacker/patcher on google.com, i.e. Resource Hunter (I don't know about saving in the trial version)
- MAKE A COPY OF YOUR EXECUTABLE. Close MSN Messenger and open the executable in your RE.
- Look for the resource group "UIFILE" and edit any of the scripts you will find in that group. As far as I know, there are three scripts. All UI bitmaps and animations are also found in that same executable. Enjoy! :)

I apologize again for Tweak! Plus, I have to see ginge before I release it. I'll contact him this week.

Greetz

RE: New MSN6 layout by Guido on 07-04-2003 at 12:12 AM

Booghost, attach some screenshots :)