Shoutbox

IP Address - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: IP Address (/showthread.php?tid=12758)

IP Address by Dempsey on 07-10-2003 at 07:45 PM

is there a way of finding out the IP address of the person your chatting to?  obviously for security reasons you would need their permission for it, but is it possible?

RE: IP Address by Kryptonate on 07-10-2003 at 07:47 PM

Why would you wan't to know that? and for now it isn't possible

RE: IP Address by Bobcatben on 07-10-2003 at 09:51 PM

actualy there is a way, u go in the command prompt, type net stat, look at the connections, then send the person a file, while its sending, type net send again and look for a new connection, some times it shows the domain insted of the ip but its easy to look it up.

RE: IP Address by Kryptonate on 07-10-2003 at 09:57 PM

is true

RE: RE: IP Address by loconet on 07-11-2003 at 12:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .::Krypt0n4t3::.
Why would you wan't to know that?

Why do people always ask that? -- Why not? Is it too far fetch to think that maybe the person is curious about it? Wants to do something useful with it, play with a direct connection plugin? learn? Has a good reason for it? In addition, Is it too hard to believe he may not be trying to do something malicious?

"Why would you want to do/know that" ? Why not?

RE: RE: RE: IP Address by DarKnight on 07-11-2003 at 01:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loconet
quote:
Why would you wan't to know that?

Why do people always ask that? -- Why not? Is it too far fetch to think that maybe the person is curious about it? Wants to do something useful with it, play with a direct connection plugin? learn? Has a good reason for it? In addition, Is it too hard to believe he may not be trying to do something malicious?

"Why would you want to do/know that" ? Why not?

Whoa.. Take it easy. He was only saying his opinion. :S
Also, if someone wanted to play an online game or whatever with you, I think he'd give his IP to you.

You sound like one of them little haxzor freaks that I see in MSN chats, they're always going on about "I have your IP, I will hack you, and play around in your PC" I find that funny, because it takes more than just having an IP to hack a person. :undecided:
It takes knowing how to program lines of code in order to enter the targets PC, I believe. Running a program that you downloaded isn't hacking, it's "Cracking"

Also, if they can't find their IP themself they can
1. Use Messenger Plus! (!IP) or 2. http://checkip.dyndns.org/
RE: IP Address by Sk3tch on 07-11-2003 at 04:44 AM

lol yeah..  like i dont know much abou IP's and stuff,  but i know that there would not be a (!IP) on Plus! if it was bad :p  silly people.. if the person did not know hot to recover the IP then it is highly unlikely that he will know how to do anything beyond that.. :)

RE: RE: IP Address by matty on 07-11-2003 at 04:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bobcatben
actualy there is a way, u go in the command prompt, type net stat, look at the connections, then send the person a file, while its sending, type net send again and look for a new connection, some times it shows the domain insted of the ip but its easy to look it up.

learn dos commands , its net stat -n for all active connections

if you send a file look for it to say sumthing like this 127.0.0.1:1864
RE: RE: RE: IP Address by Finn on 07-11-2003 at 07:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyBoy_Inc
quote:
Originally posted by Bobcatben

learn dos commands , its net stat -n for all active connections

if you send a file look for it to say sumthing like this 127.0.0.1:1864

actually its netstat -a for all connections, netstat -n  displays ips and doesnt do domain name lookups
RE: IP Address by Sk3tch on 07-11-2003 at 07:41 AM

yeah.. netstat  Not net stat.. you can see your IP info Also from IPCONFIG  and if you want more commands all you need to do it type HELP and a selection of them will come up. ;)

RE: IP Address by fluffy_lobster on 07-11-2003 at 08:04 AM

Hmm didn't :plus: 1 have a print ip option?  I remember accidentally using it once, and I think it was on Plus.  I don't think there's any legitimate reason you'd want to use it though... :undecided:

RE: IP Address by Mippo on 07-11-2003 at 08:09 AM

There's also a secret ip-page on this forum:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/ip.php

Kinda secret, huh?

RE: IP Address by Sk3tch on 07-11-2003 at 08:27 AM

hhmmmm...... :O  thats kinda cheaky

RE: IP Address by Dj Zeraja on 07-11-2003 at 08:31 AM

dus andere mensen kunnen mijn ip zien ( vertaal het ff voor me naar het je weet wel welke taal, is vandaag lui grijnzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:zzz:

RE: RE: IP Address by Mippo on 07-11-2003 at 08:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Zeraja is Tirandu
dus andere mensen kunnen mijn ip zien ( vertaal het ff voor me naar het je weet wel welke taal, is vandaag lui grijnzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:zzz:

Translation:

so other people can see my ip (translate it for me you know to which language, is lazy today grinnnnnnnnnnnn :zzz:
RE: IP Address by Sk3tch on 07-11-2003 at 08:39 AM

lol..

RE: IP Address by Chode on 07-11-2003 at 09:02 AM

Getting someones IP is the easy part,  doing something with it is another story...

RE: RE: RE: RE: IP Address by loconet on 07-11-2003 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarKnight

You sound like one of them little haxzor freaks that I see in MSN chats, they're always going on about "I have your IP, I will hack you, and play around in your PC" I find that funny, because it takes more than just having an IP to hack a person. :undecided:

really, I do? How is that? :s

All i meant was that there _are_ legitime reasons for wanting to know someone's ip.

RE: IP Address by DarKnight on 07-11-2003 at 12:14 PM

And they are?
Besides wanting to play an online game with them.

RE: RE: IP Address by loconet on 07-11-2003 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarKnight
And they are?
Besides wanting to play an online game with them.

hmm, out of hundreds of possible uses for knowing someone's ip .. I can think of a couple I've worked on before.

- Write a custom file transfer plugin?
- Real ping plugin? where you send an actual icmp packet to the ip?

Ever played with socket programming? yah ... the ip is useful.

;)

RE: IP Address by Kryptonate on 07-11-2003 at 07:16 PM

then just ask the persons IP instead of secretly searching ;-)

RE: RE: IP Address by loconet on 07-11-2003 at 08:12 PM

quote:
then just ask the persons IP instead of secretly searching ;-)

Well very true, if its secretly being search for then there might be something fishy about it.  ;)