Shoutbox

PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again (/showthread.php?tid=13968)

PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-01-2003 at 09:57 PM

PluginReloader.dll - It does exactly what it says on the tin! :P
I wrote this plugin because i hated having to restart msn every time i rebuilt a plugin i was working on.

Patchou included this for new plugin installers, but not all installers impliment it (they just remind you to restart msn). Its even more annoying when developing plugins, because for every change no matter how trivial requires you to restart msn to test it out.

This plugin solves this problem by telling plus! to unload the plugin dlls. You will then have 5 seconds to add new plugins/update them/delete old plugins before plus reloads them. Unfortunately this time interval cannot be changed except by patchou, so you will have to work quickly, but it is possible to do any action as long as you are fast enough.

The syntax for this plugin:
/xreload
Simple eh? And all you need to do to install it is extract the zipped dll to your plugins directory (no fancy installers this time :P)
The only snag: You have to restart msn to make it work (oh the irony)
To get it: click here

Enjoy :D

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by s7a5 on 08-01-2003 at 10:22 PM

nice idea (y)

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-01-2003 at 10:23 PM

im sorry, ive mucked up the menus :$
am fixing now
try downloading it again in 5mins
really sorry bout this

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-01-2003 at 10:34 PM

ok sorry for the mix-up there.
The file has been updated, so go download it for real this time.

Known limitations:
you have only 5 seconds to change the dlls.
The menu items do not get updated.

These are limitations within plus itself, not with this pluign, so maybe Patchou, if you read this you could make a change for the next plus! release?

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by lylesback2 on 08-01-2003 at 11:12 PM

my msn crashed

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-01-2003 at 11:13 PM

ack! what because of this plugin?

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by pablotossi on 08-02-2003 at 01:31 AM

my MSN crashed OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am stupid!!!!! i must try everything????? WTF????? "quien me manda¿?"

slds. :(

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-02-2003 at 01:33 AM

erm... yes...............still thinking about that post........................

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by martin on 08-02-2003 at 01:50 AM

it crash me msnmsgr to

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by MoRiA on 08-02-2003 at 02:01 AM

right, this is weird and although I didn't actually code it I don't see how this could be happening. can someone please post that it *is* working, just to make sure that optimism_ and I don't have freak copies of MSN/Plus! :)
Can you also make sure you have the latest version of MSN (6.0.0602) and Plus! (2.20.53).

Thanks

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by Lareamond on 08-02-2003 at 02:14 AM

Didn't crash my msnmsgr...

Windows Version: Windows ME, 4.90.3000
Messenger Client Version: 5.0.0544
Messenger Plus! Version: 2.20.0053

Although the menu is kinda... messed up. None of the menu items do anything.

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by MoRiA on 08-02-2003 at 02:36 AM

It shouldn't have any menu items... It used to before optimism_ removed them but it shouldn't any more... I will check that quickly because my ftp uploading hasn't exactly been reliable recently...

It works perfectly for me. When I installed it i removed all other plugins from the directory and put just the pluginreloader.dll in there and then placed the others in there during the 5 second reloading period and they all loaded fine.
I must remind you that the menus will not update until you reopen the conversation window but this is a limitation of plus and there is nothing that we can do about it.

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by martin on 08-02-2003 at 02:57 AM

do we hav to have plus 2.20.53 cuz me gots .52

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by MoRiA on 08-02-2003 at 03:15 AM

I think you probably do. I believe the plugin implementation changed from .52 to .53.

MSN Version probably shouldn't matter.

(!VER) reports this for me (and optimism_ has exactly the same):
Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 6.0.0602
Messenger Plus! Version: 2.20.0053

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by Jef on 08-02-2003 at 03:22 AM

We already had something like this.

Nice work though, the other one reloaded instantly.

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-02-2003 at 10:16 AM

this aint a big plugin - it took 2 minutes to code and it only has 2 lines of functional code. It was originally designed for installers so that you dont have to restart plus, but since not all installers do this, this plugin allows you to manually reload the plugins. It uses the Messaginf function plus defined in the readme to cause plus to release the plugins and reload them 5 seconds later.

The plugin api's have changed quite a lot recently, which means this plugin is for plus! 2.20.053. If you have earlier versions of the plugin, it will not load properly, and the /xreload command will be sent to your contacts instead of reloading your plugins.

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-02-2003 at 10:15 PM

just start it?
doesnt that mean finding a shortcut to it and running another exe (sys resources) isnt it easier just to type /xreload?

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by MoRiA on 08-02-2003 at 10:20 PM

yes, you've plugged ur plugin now, optimism_ :P ah i suppose it's ur thread, do what u like :P

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-02-2003 at 10:22 PM

i personally hate having to find shortcuts on my start menu
(probly b/c it takes forever to load).

I like everything to hand. THATS why i wrote this, not for any other reason

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by Huuf on 08-02-2003 at 10:26 PM

i think that can't work good because when you are calling something you have to terminate so it can hang in some processes

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-02-2003 at 10:31 PM

i dont get you...:S

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by Huuf on 08-02-2003 at 10:35 PM

Look the plugin does sends to msgplus to reset the plugins.
But he actual is running a plugin. So it would terminate itself. maybe to soon so not everything can runned right

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-02-2003 at 10:38 PM

theres 2 lines of functional code: one sets up a variable name, and the other executes a win32 api function. The message is sent to plus by that function. So once that line of code executes, there is nothing left to run in my plugin. Presumably plus gives all running plugins time to exit before unloading them all, or windows itsefl does, but even if neither do, the only thing left to execute in my plugin are }s, so it doesnt matter if it getrs terminated "too early"

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-02-2003 at 10:45 PM

anyways its been extensively tested, i even used it to update the pluginreloader dll itself.

RE: RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by Whacko on 08-03-2003 at 12:46 PM

first where do i get the dll ?????

quote:
Originally posted by optimism_
ok sorry for the mix-up there.
The file has been updated, so go download it for real this time.

Known limitations:
you have only 5 seconds to change the dlls.
The menu items do not get updated.

These are limitations within plus itself, not with this pluign, so maybe Patchou, if you read this you could make a change for the next plus! release?

and second, just close the window and reopen to update the menu items. This is because of the hook msgplus uses, so it ADDS its menu when the window is created
RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-03-2003 at 04:09 PM

ok - the first post has a link in it (it will always point the the most up to date version)

and ty for the info :D

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-03-2003 at 04:11 PM

a method to unload the dlls and a separate one top reload them so you can have as long as you like to make modifications would be nice tho (even if it does make this plugin unneeded :P)

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by Jef on 08-03-2003 at 11:21 PM

After the dll's are unloaded they are well... unloaded, so it can't send a load command.

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 08-03-2003 at 11:23 PM

there is no load command to send in my plugin, and in my last post i meant something from within plus itself

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by mrchan on 09-11-2003 at 10:11 AM

any vb source fer this dll, mebe u can us use the filcopy command after this code then ull be fine.

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 09-11-2003 at 04:30 PM

a) i dont have a clue what the hell you are on about
b) its not a vb dll, its a C dll
c) whats not fine?

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by paperless on 09-12-2003 at 06:57 AM

quote:
my msn crashed
quote:
my MSN crashed OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am stupid!!!!! i must try everything????? WTF????? "quien me manda¿?
quote:
it crash me msnmsgr to

:PI wont try that plugin
RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 09-12-2003 at 06:20 PM

This plugin is the worlds simplest plugin.
It has 2 lines of functional code, provided to us by patchou.
There are no complexities at all
It is almost impossible to go wrong
It has been extensively tested and used

IT DOES NOT CAUSE PLUS TO CRASH

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!would u like me to post the source to proove it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by BlackStar on 05-26-2004 at 11:20 AM

None of the Downloadlinks here are working, except for the Audiator plugin. The reloader and Soundpack links are invalid.
Perhaps its time for an update guys.

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by optimism_ on 05-26-2004 at 11:22 AM

go here http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24...d=238110#pid238110

RE: PluginReloader.dll - Never have to restart msn again by BlackStar on 05-26-2004 at 01:16 PM

Thanx a lot, I'm happy now :-)
That link was working.