Shoutbox

why do we have to post replys to gain levels - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: why do we have to post replys to gain levels (/showthread.php?tid=14385)

why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Stigmata on 08-11-2003 at 12:43 PM

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=red]
Why oh Why do we need to post replys to gain levels, thats how spaming is beening made, couldnt it be easy if if maby ppl voted on your level, or something relating to that? because to tell the truth im realy tired of reading pointless replys, that im guessing is for making levels. its just soooo stupid

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by ranicx on 08-11-2003 at 03:14 PM

its counted to show how much ya have added to the site and so on.  the spam is deleted and doesnt count towards the post count. and also the T&T  thred is for the spaming.  not all spam is deleted cause it isnt posible to find it all and delete it, and sumthings if ya delete them, the rest doesnt make sence.

and btw, if ya dint no, with the colour, font and size tags. when ya finished with a colour or sumthing, press close tags. ya gota always close a tag for it to work. e.g.  [/color]  or  [/size]  or  [/font]

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by billywoods1 on 08-11-2003 at 03:54 PM

There is already a similar system and no one votes on it. It's useless. As already said, spam is deleted.

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by EvilSeph on 08-11-2003 at 04:03 PM

Interesting point.

I really think the staff should remove the ranks aka levels on these forums. It DOES promote spamming and everyone seems to judge people by the levels and not by their post quality or their knowledge or attitude. Levels are nothing.

I mean, no one will spam just to get their level up if they don't exist? They'd hopefully learn to provide quality posts and forget about their ranks or post counts. I mean, having a rank as newbie, just puts you down. People treat you like crap because you are new and people don't bother to respect you until you become a rank other than newbie, which is ridiculous to be honest.

If the ranks were removed from these forums, but the stats still remain just for the sake of rewards, then I think it will reduce the spam, as no one will have something pushing them to spam, just to raise their level to be as "good" as others, even though some/the majority of them are either spammers, or like to post.

Removing the ranks will probably be protested by the staff and the members, but I think it is a move in the right direction to make this forum the most helpful forum around. As users will post the right answers instead of posting 4 word replies to a post just to get their level up. I mean, saying thanks and things like that is acceptable but not if it is done excessively.

Well..thats my opinion, I think we should have a vote, and then trial it, see what happens. If it benefits the forums, it stays removed..but if it doesn't then bring them back? what do you say?

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by ranicx on 08-11-2003 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
....As users will post the right answers instead of posting 4 word replies to a post ...

I like my postcount  :D   <--  4 :P

[edit] nar realy, i reacan the post count adds a good thing to the forum, like its 1 way of showing how much ya have added, and if all and spam and stuff is deleted, it realy will show how much u have contributed. it is also sumthing to spam about in T&T when ya get ova 1000 :tongue: [/edit]
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by billywoods1 on 08-11-2003 at 04:10 PM

A trial maybe, but I don't like the idea myself. Ranks show you who are the helpers and who aren't. They don't affect my interpretation of how much anyone knows (you're obviously stereotyping there because I don't think anyone's less clever because they're a newbie), and if they do to you, maybe you should stop looking at them! :)

RE: RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by EvilSeph on 08-11-2003 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ranicx
quote:
....As users will post the right answers instead of posting 4 word replies to a post ...

I like my postcount  :D   <--  4 :P

[edit] nar realy, i reacan the post count adds a good thing to the forum, like its 1 way of showing how much ya have added, and if all and spam and stuff is deleted, it realy will show how much u have contributed. it is also sumthing to spam about in T&T when ya get ova 1000 :tongue: [/edit]

I meant the ranks..not the post count...

People hardly care about the post count. I said hardly :)
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by reisyboy on 08-11-2003 at 04:37 PM

I could understand the stars been removed and the different titles lile posting freak but a post count is good so people can see if you know what you are talkign about in a support thread for example or just somone offering some one off advise

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Animefan on 08-11-2003 at 05:35 PM

No dont remove the (*)! :O
I like em! They are so nice :)
But just kill the T&T Forum! Its no use!? :S

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by BooGhost on 08-11-2003 at 05:41 PM

:| kill T&T :|

:| No use :|

then where would Spam be allowed?

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by BooGhost on 08-11-2003 at 05:44 PM

quote:
Yes, i meant remove the ranks and stars, not the post count :)

no point.... ppl would stop caring about stars and prefer post counts :-/
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by reisyboy on 08-11-2003 at 05:57 PM

Yes but otherwise as i said u have problems with people not knowing what advise to trust.

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by EvilSeph on 08-11-2003 at 06:09 PM

Well, lets wait for the staff to decide, I mean, post counts too then. Forums are a way to communicate, not a place to act like the king of the world just because of a rank that you have.

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by reisyboy on 08-11-2003 at 06:16 PM

Yes seems a good idea:)

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Animefan on 08-11-2003 at 06:39 PM

I would just say:
Kill the T&T seciton and hire someone to browse the topics and kill the spam! :)
Id gladly help, but Im not an admin :P

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Stigmata on 08-11-2003 at 06:53 PM

yeh sorry, i havnt been here long, and i thing ive rote quite a bit of good points, but it still says im a ' Junior Member ' which to tell the truth dont make you feel that good when you see people like
reisyboy and soo on which who knows how many stars

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by billywoods1 on 08-11-2003 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animefan
No dont remove the (*)! :O
I like em! They are so nice :)
But just kill the T&T Forum! Its no use!? :S

That's exactly the OPPOSITE of what we want!!

No, I stay with my decision, no matter what you say - the ranks are genuinely useful. They determine who are the helpers, who are the spammers and who are the newbies. I think the only thing that needs to change is helpers' attitudes toward newbies. The ranks are in no way degrading or annoying for anyone and if they are, tough. Maybe we could disallow ranks until you're a member or whatever? Simple, just set the rank titles to blank... I dunno, but I think the full, senior, etc. ranks are useful for determining who knows and abides by the rules and who is used to the forums and who knows the most... I don't see any reason to change this. I'm sure no helper out there thinks if someone's a newbie to the forum they're a newbie to everything.
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by EvilSeph on 08-11-2003 at 07:32 PM

A spammer can just as easily get a high rank as yourself, Billy.

Think about it, yes they are spamming. But what if they do it in a way that it doesn't seem like actual spam, but they are. Most of the senior members and up notice it and get annoyed by it, INCLUDING yourself. I mean, its not fair if someone sits their providing quality posts bustin their ass off just to get a nice rank to prove they are helpful. When a spammer can do it in half the time and just has to make things up.

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by reisyboy on 08-11-2003 at 07:58 PM

I can see both sides of this arguement, you want ranks and stars to show the contribuations and to distinguish memebers. The problem is with spam this can also happen their rank goes up and a flase message is sent. What would be a good idea is if the staff could set new ranks for helpers all over and spammers or general talk people or people who offer support for plus/msn etc. That way with titles related to how you contribute to the forums you could work out a rank system based upon how they contribute no upon how many times they post. Therefore having the people who "spam" not clogup the system.

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by EvilSeph on 08-11-2003 at 08:10 PM

Or. Keep the ranks remove the post counts and the staff decide who to promote and who to not, though THE same situation arouses, where people are singled out.

Edited because of Billywoods1, the bitach (:, making such a big deal outta typos :refuck:

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by billywoods1 on 08-11-2003 at 09:11 PM

quote:
A spammer can just as easily get a high rank as yourself, Billy.

Think about it, yes they are spamming. But what if they do it in a way that it doesn't seem like actual spam, but they are. Most of the senior members and up notice it and get annoyed by it, INCLUDING yourself. I mean, its not fair if someone sits their providing quality posts bustin their ass off just to get a nice rank to prove they are helpful. When a spammer can do it in half the time and just has to make things up.
quote:
Or. Keep the ranks remove the post counts and the staff decide who to promote and who to not, though same situation arouses, where people are singled out.

Sorry, had to pick that out. :P

Yes, they are spamming, and people like Joseph get punished for that. He lost 60%-70% of his post count for spamming and that should be enough of a warning for anyone. No one can really sit there for hours getting up to my level by posting complete rubbish without people noticing, it's easy to do once or twice but you can't get 500 posts that way. I doubt you could get 50. Joseph himself found that out.

Well, the next idea's fine, as long as the staff can be bothered - could you honestly sit there looking through a forum full of posts and give people ranks on it? Plus, there are complications: would T&T/GCC be counted? Would staff be biased in some way? Would time between posts come into effect?

I really don't think there is any need to change the system. Spammers get punished and admins, no matter how good, will not sit filing through tens of thousands of members.
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by EvilSeph on 08-11-2003 at 09:35 PM

ffs you bitach, i left out "the"

ANYWAY, i was requesting a trial...so shush ^_^

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by **ELiSiNhA** on 08-11-2003 at 11:25 PM

i think that posts show how much u r connected to the plus..... so...... if u r realy linked with it...u'll have a better rank....otherwise u won't......it is useful.... who knows.....
i like the idea.......
Bye^^bye.....
Elisa ;)

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by ranicx on 08-12-2003 at 01:47 AM

i agree with billy, its best how it is. i dont think ya could get a better system without comprimizing sumthing and ending up with a system that is not as good.
like seriously, what admin is gona go through all of sum1's posts on a forum just to rank 1 person outa 1000's?

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Johnny_Mac on 08-12-2003 at 02:06 PM

Good points being raised. (y)

My ideas:

Levels: (below elite member)

- Forum Member (Default - new members)
- Low Respected Member (Members who have abused the system)
- Average Respected Member (Members who have had good ratings and bad)
- High Respected Member (more good then bad)
- Very High Respected Member (all good)

Elite members, mods, super mods and admins vote only. The stars relate to the ranking. The reason i say only elite members and above is because like the member rating we have now, it is open to abuse.

Any thoughts on this, id be pleased to hear!

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by EvilSeph on 08-12-2003 at 02:18 PM

Excellent, someone who is thinking of their own ways of doing this...well I agree, that would be better than the current system. But as another member has stated, would the Elite members and up, really want to sit there and rate every single member we have?

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Johnny_Mac on 08-12-2003 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Excellent, someone who is thinking of their own ways of doing this...well I agree, that would be better than the current system. But as another member has stated, would the Elite members and up, really want to sit there and rate every single member we have?

This isnt a optional vote. Members will stay the deault title unless an elite+ member has reason to vote. E.g., they helped them with something.

E.g.

I need help with something, one of you's provides me with the soultion and is sensible about it. I vote them as a high respected. 2 days later, they spam general chit chat with something, an elite member and admin at the time see this and rate this person as low respected. This would hen be averaged by the database and that person would be average respected.

Users can sort members by respect and newbies will then know who is sensible to ask questions, etc. Hence, post counts mean nothing now.

btw, this is simply an idea, other forum members have to chip in and say their thoughts. Also, wdz (who will ultimatly create this thing :P) also has to see it a good idea.
RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Johnny_Mac on 08-12-2003 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animefan
I would just say:
Kill the T&T seciton and hire someone to browse the topics and kill the spam! :)
Id gladly help, but Im not an admin :P

Topics are placed in T & T to die, like 8 did yesterday and 3 more by lunch time today. T & T stays.

The rating system would be used as a way for us as a team to identify good willed members. If we have 3 members high respected, 4 average, and 2 low. It doesnt matter if the other 5000 are just "members". When they post, we know and people who have been away for a while (e.g. me when i am working) what the member is like, and it stops us forming rash opinions. I feel as a team we are responsible enough to use a method like this, and hope no one would abuse such a system.
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by EvilSeph on 08-12-2003 at 03:22 PM

Yes, I agree.

Maybe we should have some possible systems listed then have a vote over a week. Though I think J_Mac's idea is the best one here, its easily doable and not very easy to abuse.

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by reisyboy on 08-12-2003 at 04:19 PM

Makes sense :)

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by billywoods1 on 08-12-2003 at 04:41 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure about just the elite members and up... here's another idea, slightly harder to implement but I think it would be more fair. It's basically Johnny's idea but everyone can vote, but we could have some sort of ranking system such as a newbie voting counts as 1 vote up to an admin counting as 10 votes or something. I say this because I'm not an elite member and I believe I have enough ability to vote fairly, as do a lot of other people who aren't there yet. Plus it would take a LOT of pressure off the elite+ members since there are a lot more full/senior/whatever members than elite, or whatever. Or another idea based on that: if you have a high rating from others, you get a good say in how respected others are. If you have a low rating you only count as a fraction of someone with higher ratings. I don't know PHP but I know it wouldn't be that hard to add.

Plus there is a bit more than respect involved... for example, I respect some people who don't post here often... I don't know, there are also things such as people who have 'abused the system' but whose replies are always helpful. It's the best idea we have but it's still not really foolproof.

Elaborating on the system above:
If all members started with a rating of 5 with elite+ starting higher, every vote could average out the votes people have already submitted (apart from the first one which just replaces the 5). This averaged-out result allows people to vote the equivalent of that many times. This means if people have a high respect rating people believe they are knowledgeable enough to have their votes count more than others' with low ratings.

For example, if someone out of 3 votes has a rating of 5, and someone with a rating of 5 votes them as '8', their new rating would be (3x5 + 5x8)/8 ((votes x rating  +  member's rating x new rating)/total). This would make the new rating 55/8 or 6.875. I think this is more fair because everyone gets to vote and there is less pressure, but also more respected members get a good say in what happens. Hope you understand. If not, ask me and I'll explain it again. :rolleyes:

Just a few things to think about. :P

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Chrono on 08-13-2003 at 04:40 AM

Johnny's idea == (Y)

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Hova on 08-13-2003 at 05:37 AM

I like that idea also, but I don't think the elite members should vote. Don't get me wrong, I like the elite members, but I would think that having the admins and mods vote would slow down favouritizm (spelling? my iespell doesn't work), and give a much fairer view. This is JMO. The only thing I would wish to change in this forum is the members attitude towards "newbies". It gets kinda harsh. Sure they might not read, but they are newbies, maybe they don't know better yet. Just give them a chance.

This reminds me of the karma the zsnes.com forums had/have (I don't know now, I haven't been there in a while)

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by BooGhost on 08-13-2003 at 06:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Johnny's idea == (Y)

you said that coz you on the "elite member up" group :refuck:

neway it's a good idea....... :P
RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by reisyboy on 08-13-2003 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Johnny's idea == (Y)

Same:)
RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Johnny_Mac on 08-13-2003 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
Hmm, I'm not sure about just the elite members and up... here's another idea, slightly harder to implement but I think it would be more fair.

Putting myself in your place, I'd rather work my ass off to become an elite member then worry about not having a say. Your probably right, you are responsible enough to have a say, but just show how respeonisble you are and become an elite member. The title holds nothing more apart from recognision, so therfore it's impossible to have a limit, the more elite members we have, the better this place would be.
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by BooGhost on 08-13-2003 at 06:02 PM

how do we becoma a Elite member :-/

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Stigmata on 08-13-2003 at 06:10 PM

but if you followed jonny's idea would you have to do so many votes, and all the admirns/mods/etc there might not be enough to take full control of the number of votes cast or if people did vote for each other, you could vote for your best friend because hes your best friend then he would vote for you and you would have high levels, but no contribution

[edit] ive realised that i have been comming from both sides of the augument and well i havent gave much help, when i thought of something new, but then prefered the other method [/edit]

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Chode on 08-13-2003 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost

As DZ has stated.  They are chosen for their knowledge of messenger plus!,  and the amount of people they help.  They must be mature and respectful of other forum members also.

This rules you out Boo:P  jk
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Stigmata on 08-13-2003 at 06:14 PM

but how can you tell if you know more about messenger plus then the next guy

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by BooGhost on 08-13-2003 at 06:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chode
quote:

As DZ has stated.  They are chosen for their knowledge of messenger plus!,  and the amount of people they help.  They must be mature and respectful of other forum members also.

This rules you out Boo:P  jk

damn .............. in this case i'm against Johnny's idea, j/k........ i think it's a good idea but i also think there some ppl that are mature enough to vote :-/

what about all Elite Members up and the Posting Freaks (j/k).......

what about all Elite Members up and the ppl who has a long time in the forums (this leaves me out :'() and know more or less how it works... but there's a problem what about ppl who regstered a long time ago but haven't been much time around the forum.... or even come back after registration :S

then Admins should make a new categorie Voting Member........ this ones are supposed to be mature enough to vote, but aren't Elite Members (coz WDZ doesn't wanna :­P)!
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Stigmata on 08-13-2003 at 06:26 PM

yes but still ive been preety much devoted since i have joined  but i have still not got anywhere near where you have, mr boo ghost sir. and i believe im mature enough to vote, but what are the chances of that hapenning????

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by EvilSeph on 08-13-2003 at 06:31 PM

We mean maturity by the measure of what the staff think. Otherwise half the forum would be asking the same question as you.

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by BooGhost on 08-13-2003 at 06:32 PM

that's why i said.........:

quote:
Admins should make a new categorie Voting Member........ this ones are supposed to be mature enough to vote, but aren't Elite Members (coz WDZ doesn't wanna :­P)!

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Hova on 08-13-2003 at 07:45 PM

Maybe the "voting members" you suggest wouldn't have that category, but only would know it privately. So that people would not act and react differently when they are around.

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Johnny_Mac on 08-13-2003 at 08:07 PM

I think this topic has plenty of ideas, its now just a case of where do you draw the line of who votes...

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by BooGhost on 08-13-2003 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hova
Maybe the "voting members" you suggest wouldn't have that category, but only would know it privately. So that people would not act and react differently when they are around.

yeah that'd be good (Y)
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Stigmata on 08-13-2003 at 08:19 PM

hey so all i have to do now is keep posting spam descuised as actually some thing to do with whats going on

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Johnny_Mac on 08-13-2003 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
hey so all i have to do now is keep posting spam descuised as actually some thing to do with whats going on

Exactly the opposite, which was raised this thread in the first place.
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by reisyboy on 08-13-2003 at 10:01 PM

No because the mods and admins will clean it all up :D and thats not the point the point is whats going to happen people seem to be in favour of Johnnys Idea is that correct?

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by ranicx on 08-15-2003 at 08:22 AM

after reading through all the posts here, i no if i say sumthing i no it wont make any difference here cause every1 seems to wana change a system that i think works fine how it is.   im ratha dissipointed that it wants to be changed.

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Stigmata on 08-17-2003 at 01:02 PM

its not that it needs changing its just some of us think it takes way way to long to become a senior member or elite watever

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Johnny_Mac on 08-17-2003 at 04:57 PM

As far as I am concered, this idea won't go ahead. I have had no feedback from any admin, and they dont seem to see it a huge problem. Maybe something for the future.

btw ranicx, as i said, these were only my ideas, if anyone doesnt agree with it then i'd rather know. (y)

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by ranicx on 09-09-2003 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
As far as I am concered, this idea won't go ahead. I have had no feedback from any admin, and they dont seem to see it a huge problem. Maybe something for the future.

btw ranicx, as i said, these were only my ideas, if anyone doesnt agree with it then i'd rather know. (y)

ok. i just think its fine how it is atm. like "if it aint broken, dont fix it".. i think that applys in this situation. its a very good system atm, works well. and just like anything, it has its pros and cons, but i think in this case, the pros out weigh the cons.

p.s. yes i no its a late reply. just been realy busy lately :wink:
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by WDZ on 09-09-2003 at 05:10 PM

quote:
"if it aint broken, dont fix it"
(Y)

I agree. :p
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Hova on 09-09-2003 at 05:19 PM

You just don't want to work :P

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by BooGhost on 09-09-2003 at 05:21 PM

**cough**lazy**cough**

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by dotNorma on 09-09-2003 at 10:58 PM

*cough* agrees *cough*

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by burcyril10 on 09-10-2003 at 08:49 AM

lol WDZ, don't worry, we all love the current system, you don't need to change a thing :p

Anyway, i dissagree with people who saw that people don't pay attension to newbies...I don't care about the rating in anything, everyone starts at some time and eventuly they become full members etc. (we were all n00bs once)

Also, spaming to get higher levels is sad, it says somthing about people who would ... and what is a rating on a fourm worth anyway? (unless ur admin or mod but u don't get that by spaming)

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Pipish on 09-13-2003 at 05:21 AM

yeh keep it imagine somone like kb and somone like a newbie  having the same amount of stars  it is good  and it a good thing to have them

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by user2319 on 09-24-2003 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
"if it aint broken, dont fix it"
(Y)

I agree. :p

'Never touch a running computer.'
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by bra1nwash on 09-27-2003 at 08:17 AM

lets wait n see wat happens then...i think that Johnny's idea is the best! but WDZ doesnt seemed to give his full attention on this thread...:rolleyes:

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by bigru on 09-28-2003 at 10:51 PM

OH WOW THERES 3 STARS BY MY NAME!!!!!!! i feel so special some one pinch me plz

seriously who cares

i think the spamming threads should be completely moved so it dosent even say "moved" by it its just in the t & t

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Pr0xY on 09-29-2003 at 02:42 AM

Well this thread is very interesting from my point of view. It's a subject that can get many opinions from all different aspects. Each opinion isn't wrong or right, it's just an opinion. It would be very hard to put something like this into action cause they'll always be people that wont agree with it (not saying that's a bad thing), it's just their personality, and the way they like the forum.

For me, it goes both ways, I like the way we have it, and at the same time, this idea sparks an interest in pursuing this idea. In a way I do feel that that I am looked down upon  because I am only a 17 year old Full Member, but I just dont let that bother me, and it just makes me want to try harder to prove myself to this forum and it's members that I can help. People should respect newbies, after all, we all were at one time.

In a way I dont really want to have to work my ass off and get 2000 posts and become a posting freak, just to stand out and prove to people that I'm something "special" in a forum. It's hard for me so be on this forum everyday. I participate mostly on the weekends cause school is hectic for me right now.

And I dont think that most of the admins, and mods like this idea cause it might take the power they have away from them and devide it equally with everyone.

To just to the other end of the subject, about who votes. When we post a reply, what does it say under our name. for me it says "FULL MEMBER" and wouldn't you think that since this decition effects the whole forum community, that the members, the people who make this forum possible, should have a say. As I have the title as full member, I should have the right to vote since I am a full member of this forum. I'm not saying that any member should be able to vote. but if your going to give us the full member title, then let us act like full members and have some say in this decition.

Well I tried to right that as well as I could with about 10 interuptions fro parents, dinner, g/f on the phone, and other things in life. So if your reading it and you find a spot that's totaly off track, you know why.

Good night Members of the Plus Forum. See ya next weekend

PeAcE OuT,
pr0xy_nuk3r

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by The One on 12-19-2003 at 04:21 AM

This is all rather confusing.  Would anyone mind mentioning what you need to do to advance levels?  I know post count has something to do with it, yet I see Elite Members with 1600 posts while there are Posting Freaks with 2500 and others with 1200.  Whats the differences?

Neo

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Stigmata on 12-19-2003 at 10:19 AM

posting freaks are people who patchou or others feel are a credit to this forum, posting freaks are people who have made over 750 posts.....

ummmmmmmmmmmmm all this can be found as a stick in the forum/website part of the forum

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Kryptonate on 12-19-2003 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
posting freaks are people who patchou or others feel are a credit to this forum, posting freaks are people who have made over 750 posts.....

:rolleyes:

he means:
elite members are people who patchou or others feel are a credit to this forum, posting freaks are people who have made over 750 posts.....

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Muss on 12-19-2003 at 11:44 AM

Well anyway

Even if ranks are removed, peopel will spam, most spam is off topic, not just "yes"

And, if you see spam posts, just report them :P

that way they can be removed, and the persons post count goes down :P

RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Guido on 12-19-2003 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hova
You just don't want to work :P
Agreed :P

Johnny's idea is excellent, it's a much fairer system. Also, I agree as well with Billy's idea of not limiting the voting to elite members, let alone only to forum staff, because that would be quite the same as now. The idea is each one to have a rank which everyone can democratically comment about.

MyBB has this reputation feature implemented in its newest version AFAIK, and wdz wasn't sure about adding it or not. I think it would be appropriate to add it... and votes could count like this:

New Members        cannot vote (:-/)
Junior Members      1 vote
Full Members          2 votes
Senior Members     4 votes
Posting Freaks       5 votes
Elite Members        8 votes
Mods/Admins         15 votes

or something like that *-)
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by kao on 12-19-2003 at 08:48 PM

how about having post counts, just not displayed on forum view? maybe just shown in profiles? :P

It  means the mofo's who love their count, still get to see it, yet people dont get put down as bad because your hardly ever going to view someones profile :P

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Guido on 12-19-2003 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
how about having post counts, just not displayed on forum view? maybe just shown in profiles? :P

It  means the mofo's who love their count, still get to see it, yet people dont get put down as bad because your hardly ever going to view someones profile :P
I don't really see the point of that... people who currently look at post counts will be interested to look at them anyway, so it would only bring more traffic :P
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by ~*Jparto*~ on 02-14-2004 at 12:44 PM

Just a question: what are the little stars that say what ranking you have? I know this may be posted somewhere else....but im too lazy to search through tons and tons of pages.....

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by Johnny_Mac on 02-14-2004 at 01:21 PM

Well you could search through the tons and tons of pages and still not find it. As its a sticky thread at the top of the page. :rolleyes:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=3416

RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels by ~*Jparto*~ on 02-14-2004 at 05:35 PM

thanks!