Shoutbox

msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici (/showthread.php?tid=14704)

msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by Kryptonate on 08-20-2003 at 08:34 PM

As most of us already know, microsoft is going to shut down their msn messenger versions that are lower then msn messenger 5.
But this also affects Trillian, Imici and Odigo (3rd party programs) meaning you propably won't be able to use them anymore. This will take place starting from the 15th of October.

Security update or easy way to get rid of these programs or payment trick?

source : http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/08/19/HNmsnlockdown_1.html

In the terms of agreement of msn messenger is a line added where it says that microsoft has the right to ask money at anytime for new updates or that otherwise the consumer who doesn't pay for it won't be allowed to use the program any longer.

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by Wabz on 08-21-2003 at 02:28 PM

I dont think Microsoft can charge for the service realistically.  But theres a lot of holes in msn protocol that need repairing and older versions of messenger seem to stop this being carried out properly.  Plus can you imagine the extra servers microsoft need to keep this running properly perhaps this could reduce the load on them

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by harra on 08-21-2003 at 02:44 PM

My take on the situation is this.......

AOL is starting to offer services for their AIM product at a price.  Rumblings in those communities is that they may start offering a feature-laden version of AIM at a price especially now that it has come to light that they have formed a "partnership" with one of the 3rd Parties that have developed an add-in that does similar things to Messenger Plus!. 

Microsoft may just being getting their legal "ducks in a row" so they can easily roll out a "for cost" business model for MSN and/or Windows Messenger.

I just hope they keep the basic services free and you pay to get other features "unlocked".

But like I said in another forum.  Hasn't MP3's taught big business anything?  Consumers will take free any day over even the smallest of fees (i.e. $0.01)

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by memodude on 08-21-2003 at 02:47 PM

About the "lockdown", Microsoft just enabled SSL, thats all. The third-party clients will work again soon. :)

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by harra on 08-21-2003 at 02:56 PM

I agree that with the talented developers out there, someone will figure out how to work in harmony with these new "security" features....lol

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by Hova on 08-21-2003 at 03:04 PM

It actually might be for security, you never know. I know the easiest thing to do is to not update every messenger, but to just lock some down, so they could use the new protocol.

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by harra on 08-21-2003 at 03:25 PM

Considering the latest round of worms and viruses we've been subjected to, I do believe that security is a primary reason for all of this.  But it may also be considered by Microsoft as a highly opportune moment to implement some other business strategies.

In other words, "Since we have to force them to upgrade for security  reason, we might as well change the EULA".

Can you tell I tend to be a bit of a consipiracy theoriest.....lol

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by Kryptonate on 08-21-2003 at 08:50 PM

The latest version of Trillian uses the MSN6 Protocols to connect to the servers in order to work so normally Trillian will not be affected by the shutdown (if you are using the latest version, they are not sure about the older Trillian versions.)

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by God of the Devil on 08-22-2003 at 08:00 AM

http://www.petitiononline.com/messold/ <- sign this petition to stop microsoft banning 3rd party clients and old clients

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by Hova on 08-22-2003 at 08:28 AM

To not ban them doesn't make sense.

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by Kryptonate on 08-22-2003 at 09:35 AM

Indeed, microsoft is closing them for security reasons so i don't see the point to keep it open anyway. Btw, microsoft isn't gonna look at that petition, they got the right to close down those versions and if it happens to be that 3rd party software is closed because of that then those have to bring a new and improved version. No judge (if it would be brought to court, I doubt it but let's pretend it will) will ever say to microsoft not to shut downthe old versions because security is more important then fun.

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by harra on 08-22-2003 at 12:56 PM

Yes, unfortunately a software vendor can make any requirements they want.  I believe out of good faith they support older versions for awhile, but in this day-and-age any claim of immediate obsolescence would be justified in the name of security.

RE: RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by Hova on 08-22-2003 at 12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by harra
Yes, unfortunately a software vendor can make any requirements they want.  I believe out of good faith they support older versions for awhile, but in this day-and-age any claim of immediate obsolescence would be justified in the name of security.

They did support it for a while. A long time in fact.
RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by harra on 08-22-2003 at 01:01 PM

I guess I was more referring to the future.  They could come out next year and say that only MSN Messenger 6.0 and Windows Messenger 5.0 will be supported.

RE: msn messenger lock down & Trillian, Odigo and Imici by Hova on 08-22-2003 at 01:13 PM

Good point. I don't believe so for now though, I would think that they are just starting over, and not have users complain about it later on.